Motorcycle Carriers for Trailer Hitches?

PFJohns

• Premium Member
Like this one? 
31062209_879359802265707_672880323356841026_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=153c201ed4e301bbee28b7e1e8c98f82&oe=5B67ED78
Wow, where is that photo taken?  Mt. St. Helens? 

My long lost Ford Pinto, circa 1969! I always wondered what happened to that car :) 

• Premium Member
Wow, where is that photo taken?  Mt. St. Helens? 

My long lost Ford Pinto, circa 1969! I always wondered what happened to that car smiley.png 

That smoke is from the split second before the pinto burst into flames after being rear ended by the bike. 

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
My long lost Ford Pinto, circa 1969! I always wondered what happened to that car smiley.png 

That smoke is from the split second before the pinto burst into flames after being rear ended by the bike. 
And all the evidence was covered by the Mount Saint Helen's eruption. 

Another suggestion, Uhaul has Motorcycle specific trailers for something like $15 per day. I have used them several times. They are on the heavy side even empty, but do the job. Advantages for me, never have to check the tire pressure, fix broken lights, store it, lube the bearings, etc...

Just a thought.

• Premium Member
Another suggestion, Uhaul has Motorcycle specific trailers for something like $15 per day. I have used them several times. They are on the heavy side even empty, but do the job. Advantages for me, never have to check the tire pressure, fix broken lights, store it, lube the bearings, etc... 
Just a thought.

They have 2 different style ramp trailers. The motorcycle style has a place to slot the front wheel. Either should work on the OP's CX5. They worked fine on my Subaru. Buy a decent set of tie downs. Couldn't get my set of canyon dancers to work with the hand guards.

Upgraded to an F150 and that is better. Can do a lot more with it than the Subaru. I miss my stick shift, though.

• 10 months later...
  • Supporting Member
2 hours ago, dingophil said:

Haha that's what I'm trying to avoid.

A trailer is a lot safer for the bike and doesn't kill the suspension of the car or light truck that is carrying it.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

I recently purchased the Black Widow Steel Deluxe Motorcycle Carrier – 600 lb. Capacity from discountramps.com

A very substantial rack built of steel with aluminum track.  Came with anti-tilt bracket that really snugs it up to the receiver hitch on my Silverado pickup.  I also purchased the Tyrefix straps from Acebikes and some 2” rachetstraps. 

First impression - strong and solid

Second impression - hitting dips in road scares the crap out of me as I see my red pony bobbing in my rearview mirror 

Yet, in spite of my butt-clenching anxiety, the bike rode well from Atlanta to Knoxville where I was able to deliver my passengers and hit the road on the FJ.  

Bike was too heavy for me to properly load into wheel chock by pushing. Had to back down and then use engine power with clutch control to fully load.  Very nervous doing this alone.  I have never dropped my bike but felt this was pushing my luck.

No problem unloading. 

Loaded second time with a helper giving a small push. 

Still researching safest way to strap the bike but I love the carrier. 

I think it will help me with more opportunities for riding as I often travel by truck to assist elderly mother.  Great to have my FJ handy when I get a few hours for wind therapy.

• Thumbsup 3