Hi from Australia

kelpie

Hi everyone and thanks to those who got this forum up and running.  It helped with my decision to update the kawasaki kle 500 which I've been riding for the past 23 years. 
Have been looking at the kawasaki versys 1000 and triumph tiger 1050/800 but this tracer seems to be the one.
My local dealer got a demo in especially for me, done 0.2km. Took it for a 40km ride, gave me a good offer so signed up and rode it another 180km home.
This bike is well put together, handles great with smooth throttle and corners effortlessly, a few vibes start in top gear when engine is working at highway speed but only very mild.  Also still a bit cautious down gravel, it impressed me. Coming from around thd 33hp bike and onto 115hp thought it would be a daunting machine but so smooth don't think I would get into trouble unless I asked for it. Also asked my dealer if the Australian version is speed limited and been told it isn't.

A couple of problems I have noticed however which your probably all aware of or may offer some light on the situation.

* Very hard to find insurance as none of them have heard of the MT-09Tracer, or they have a high premium as they possibly put it as a hoon bike.
* The right hand guard is too low.  Is this on all the bikes?
* I have a whining noise when in 6th gear - its quite loud and lesser extent in 3rd. Has anyone else had this?

Thanks for the site and helpfull information within.

;) G'day Kelpie,
Congratulations! You just may be the first official Aussie owner of the MT-09 Tracer on this great forum!
where abouts are you?
And, how in Gods name did you get a test ride so fast? Damn it! I just put a deposit down just last Friday!
Can't help you with your issues, but some of the long term owners here can help.
The issue with the hand guard seems odd. Could the steel bracket offset be bent?
Insurance issues are normal for such a new model. It won't be listed, so they'll base it on the standard MT-09 which is listed as a sport bike.
Anyway, welcome here and post in the Aussie regional board too!
Cheers,
Steve

Thanks Steve and 2damax,
I'm from a little town in WA called Three Springs, 350km north of Perth.
Was very lucky with the country dealer. Literally walked off the street to a yamaha dealer and asked about the bike, I mainly wanted something similer to get an idea about seat hight and size of the bike. They nothing even close in the store as they mainly sold outboards and 4*4s but said they were trying to expand into more motorbikes so was very keen to accommodate. Long story short asked what color I wanted and managed to get a demo up and put together on Wednesday, looked at it on Friday and done the deal. Only noticed the handguard when I got home as it's been mentioned in this forum, hence I took a closer look. Still don't know about the gears though, the mechanic that put it togeter didn't have an open license to check it out.
Hope you guys get yours soon, though after riding a couple of other bikes think this is worth the wait.

Hi everyone and thanks to those who got this forum up and running.  It helped with my decision to update the kawasaki kle 500 which I've been riding for the past 23 years.  Have been looking at the kawasaki versys 1000 and triumph tiger 1050/800 but this tracer seems to be the one.
My local dealer got a demo in especially for me, done 0.2km. Took it for a 40km ride, gave me a good offer so signed up and rode it another 180km home.
This bike is well put together, handles great with smooth throttle and corners effortlessly, a few vibes start in top gear when engine is working at highway speed but only very mild.  Also still a bit cautious down gravel, it impressed me. Coming from around thd 33hp bike and onto 115hp thought it would be a daunting machine but so smooth don't think I would get into trouble unless I asked for it. Also asked my dealer if the Australian version is speed limited and been told it isn't.

A couple of problems I have noticed however which your probably all aware of or may offer some light on the situation.

* Very hard to find insurance as none of them have heard of the MT-09Tracer, or they have a high premium as they possibly put it as a hoon bike.
* The right hand guard is too low.  Is this on all the bikes?
* I have a whining noise when in 6th gear - its quite loud and lesser extent in 3rd. Has anyone else had this?

Thanks for the site and helpfull information within.

Mine has a louder whine in 6th also. However,  my last 2 bikes were also louder in top gear. Unless it gets louder, I wouldn't worry about it.....

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• 2 weeks later...
@kelpie,
Today I went to see some bikes at a Yamaha dealer and I noticed the hand guards were at different angles to each other!
I now know why! The angled position of the levers (both front brake & clutch) were also different to each other. The hand guard brackets are attached to the lever pivot blocks. They really needed to be at the same angle.
First time I sat on one too! Wow, it's very comfortable and easy to flat foot with the seat at the lowest position!
I'm due to test one next weekend! So looking forward to that. Even though I've already paid a deposit!
How are you getting on with you new ride? Pray, do tell mate!

Cheers again,
Steve

The hand guards uneven is probably just a hasty job in the assembling process at the dealer, they should be even.
The whinning is just the normal mechanical noise this engine generates. Put some ear plugs in for long trips. That's what
I do. It is just a characteristic of this engine. Not all that uncommon.

• Premium Member
Yes, there are a few noises at idle. I notice it mostly when at a stop light with the bike in neutral. Pull the clutch in and the noise goes so it's just going to be the clutch plates rattling when under no load.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Hand guards were easily adjusted with an allan key, strange how its such a common occurrence on this modle. Bike is going great and no bugs showing up.
Due for its 1st service now and went past the dealer yesterday - didn't take the bike as cyclone was coming down the coast and the bike does get blown around a bit in cross winds, a compromise for being light I suppose. But picked up my sidecases, look good but wish they were a couple of inches wider to fit a helmet, fitting them today I hope.
Maybe Steve if you about to buy one negotiate different case if it makes for a better deal.
One thing I have noticed is the wind noise from the bike. I have a Shoei helmet because it is quiet but definately need earplugs if going long distance at speed.
Economy good with averageing 21.6 km per liter(still going mostly gentle and next to no traffic where I live).
A bit of vibration in top gear but found at 120 it has a bit a sweet spot and goes nicely, speedo I'm sure reads fast so probably not going much over the limit. So everything great.
My additions to the bike for now will be a fender extender for the front, and looking for a screen thats a bit higher.
Swann insurance gave me the best deal if you need help in that direction.
Cheers kelpie

• Premium Member
Hi Kelpie

Yes, my speedo is optimistic according to my Garmin - 70 is a real 64 and 100 a real 93.

Screens: there's a thread about the Ermax screen hereabouts, with positive first reports. The largest one is 50cm tall and a bit wider. Someone has also reported on an MRA spoiler which attaches to the top of the screen. The MRA adapter is not a looker but a very functional bit of kit. The search button is your friend.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Thanks wessie, the speedo is out by quite a bit then, and probably economy to match. Will look up some screens on the site so thanks to those who put in pics as would rather keep the looks of the bike instead of add ons. Also a new quieter helmet is due.
Just finished putting on the side cases and despite being a little small to put a lid in quite happy with it.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
G'day Kelpie and others from Oz.
I looked into insurance; you are quite right, and I too anticipated the Tracer being lumped-in with the sports MT-09, and covered it off with the girl who was helping me at Shannons. Their first quote was $699, then they revised it after I protested down to $589 - still almost 50% more than I paid them to insure my '13 BMW R1200 R with identical value (ten years+ no-claims history too).  I'll keep looking around if I proceed after a test-ride... the Tracer has only been here on the east coast for a cuppla weeks.
On the subject of the screen, CalSci seem to have a couple of alternatives which look to be rather more protective (and attractive) than the OE unit.   See the MT-09 Forum...
Lawrence of SuburbiaSE Queensland
[em](Shetland Sheepdog for me!)[/em]

Archived