Pirelli Angel GT's

I've just changed the Japanese made Dunlop D222's for Pirelli Angel GT's - OMG, what a difference!!!  The wet grip is brilliant, and the dry grip is even better.

I can whole heartedly recommend changing the OEM boots, which didn't give me confidence in the wet - and here in the UK we experiencing a lot of wet.... :)

G70

• Premium Member
I run Angel GT's on my other bike. ( 2005 Susuki Bandit 1200S ) Love em! 
I will probably install them on my FJ when 222's wear out. Though to be fair, I have no complaints with the 222's, but I haven't ridden in the wet much.

Ty
Hey Ty, I spooned a set of Angels on my FJR before I sold it and only took it to the gas station to fill up the tank (the guy that bought it was going back to San Francisco that night). My thoughts were that the tire felt real heavy with turn in. Is that normal for this tire, or did I just not give it a chance to break in? 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Not my experience at all Lewis. Feel just like PR2's to me if that helps. 
Ty
Maybe I will give it another chance when the D222s wear out. I liked the PR2s until worn, then they got scary with that knife edge that developed. Loved the Bridgestone T30s on the FJR, but only lasted 5,000 miles. I might try those on this lighter bike also, as that tire handled fantastic for me.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 2 weeks later...
I run Angel GT's on my other bike. ( 2005 Susuki Bandit 1200S ) Love em! 
I will probably install them on my FJ when 222's wear out. Though to be fair, I have no complaints with the 222's, but I haven't ridden in the wet much.

Ty
Hey Ty, I spooned a set of Angels on my FJR before I sold it and only took it to the gas station to fill up the tank (the guy that bought it was going back to San Francisco that night). My thoughts were that the tire felt real heavy with turn in. Is that normal for this tire, or did I just not give it a chance to break in?
My experience with the Angel GTs has been mixed.  I've used them several times on my FJRs and like them the first half of their life, but by about 3-4k miles they start needing quite a bit of pressure to keep in a turn.  I was very pleased with the original Bridgestone 023s that came on the bike.  I'm currently trying a PR4 non-GT rear with a Bridgestone T30 front and love the feel through turns, very easy turn-in and steady when leaned over.  If the rear lasts 7-8k miles or more, and the front maintains the easy turn-in, I'll have the perfect combo. I'm making plans to add an FJ09 to the stable and barring any real degradation in handling of the PR4/T30 combo, I'll be putting a set on that bike too.  ymmv

SoCal
2015 FJ-09 Red of course :)

You guys take your bikes out in the wet? You're nuts. Do you not have cars? :)

I have found no fault with the standard tyres as yet but then I have not been near exploring the limits on the MT. I had Michelin Pilot Road 2s on my Tiger 1050 and had all the confidence in the world with them; I would guess the more recent Road 4s should be an improvement if not just as good.

You guys take your bikes out in the wet? You're nuts. Do you not have cars? :)
Sure would be nice to have a perfectly dry trip! ::) My best 'dry' longer rides so far:

Less than 1 day of rain over 5 weeks, 12K km, April & May 2007: TX, NM, AZ, UT, NV, CA, OR, WA, BC.
Less than 1 hour of rain over 2 weeks, 5K km, September 2012: NV, CA.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• 10 months later...
While the stock Dunlop 222s seem to have adequate grip and ride smooth and quiet, I find the turn-in to be sluggish. When it comes time to get a new set, I will not be buying the Dunlops. I had Angel GTs on my 1200 Bandit and they were marvelous tires but the last "half" of the tread seems to disappear in less then a week of around town usage. That really surprised me.

I was about to pull the trigger on another set of Angels, but they were quite expen$ive. Sooooo, I began doing a bit of research and discovered the Shinkos. It seems that everyone loved the Shinko Raven and Verge models: they handled quite well in both wet and dry conditions, the turn-in was quick, longevity was really good, and the price was *incredibly* low. I'm talking $180 delivered to my door for a full set - both front *and* rear tires!!

I hesitated for a bit but curiosity got the better of me and I bought them. Wow, what a surprise!!! The tires were *almost* as good as the Angels, maybe 90%, and they cost half as much. I was truly gob smacked. And keep in mind that I no longer ride at 100% on the street, too many distracted drivers nowadays. And I don't do track days, so I was nowhere near using 100% of the Angels' capabilities. The 90% the Shinkos offered was more than enough for moi.

I recommended them to several friends who tried 'em out and found the same things I did - a *very* capable tire for a truly incredible price. And the longevity is there, too. My buddy Bob just came off his 1st set of Shinkos (011 Verge up front, 009 Raven in back) on his 800 BMW and he got 10,000 mi. from the rear. The front is good for another 2,000 or so, but he's replacing them together.

Soooo, when it comes time for tires later this Spring, I'll be spooning on a set of Shinkos for sure. A thorough ride report will surely follow...

Full Set Of Shinko Ravens, $160:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shinko-009-raven-tire-set

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Archived