Project: Alaska Blaster

Do you have a link for the foot pegs you got?  

Brackets: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/182011878799 Footpegs: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/372198863429

Turns out that it was only about $30 total now that I look at it again. For what it's worth both items feel very solid and high quality. I just needed to get some slightly shorter (M8x25) bolts and they worked out beautifully. 
I wil wait until your test in order to know if the footpegs move or if they stay at the right place ^^ 

FJ-09 2015

You will appreciate the pegs. That fuel tank looks large... not concerned about that much fuel (when near full) sloshing up and back there?... especially as you may be bouncing and weaving along bumpy roads. 

Consider a "flight plan" for the trip, and confirm location of fuel stops, when they're open and what type of fuel is available. You might not have to haul that much emergency fuel with you. I opted for two 1L fuel bottles I can stuff into tool tubes or strap elsewhere... good for ~35km.

Anyhow... sounds like you're going to have a nice adventure!

It is definitely a bit tall. I would have liked a thinner 2L tank with the same dimensions but it's still smaller than the 1gal Rotopax. I plan to only fill it if my distance to the next fuel stop looks questionable, otherwise it will be empty as much as possible.

Brackets: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/182011878799 Footpegs: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/372198863429

Turns out that it was only about $30 total now that I look at it again. For what it's worth both items feel very solid and high quality. I just needed to get some slightly shorter (M8x25) bolts and they worked out beautifully. 
I wil wait until your test in order to know if the footpegs move or if they stay at the right place ^^
I have done a couple highway commutes with them and they don't move. They will deflect slightly because of the rubber inserts, but spring right back into position. I think because the load is being placed on top of them instead of pushing them forward it prevents any kind of movement. If I find that they are shifting around at all I will just drill and tap them for a set screw. 

• 2 weeks later...
Trying to decide on tires, if anyone has any advice to offer.

I was planning to run a pair of Continental TKC-70's, however the front doesn't seem to be available anywhere in Canada at the moment (and I've heard it's not the best anyway) so that option is out.

I am considering running a TKC-70 rear with a TKC-80 front, giving me a good compromise between traction on dirt/gravel and longevity. I would like to run TKC-80's front and rear but I don't think the rear tire would survive the 7,000-7,500km round trip from Victoria, BC. We aren't doing anything too crazy off-road (or doing the Dalton highway) but I'd like to be able to keep up with my friends on KLR's when we go to Denali, McKinley and otherwise rough dirt/gravel road surfaces.

An alternative which is closer to the TKC-70's is the Avon Trailrider. Any of the other "adventure" tires in FJ-09 sizes (Scorpion Trail II's, Anakee 3's, ContiTrail whatevers) don't look much more aggressive than regular sport touring tires.

Thanks everyone

New updated clutch cable, spark plugs, and ran an extension to run a USB charging hub in my tank bag. Dumbass buddy pictured haha.
IMG_5023.jpg

Got a few last minute items: namely bear spray and bear bangers. 
IMG_5034.jpg

Full Alaska pack up is as shown. Looks bulky but only weighs about 40lbs total. Going for a test camp this weekend to see if I forgot anything, and if there's anything I can afford to shed. 
IMG_5060.jpg

Got my new tires, decided on Shinko 705's after much research. I looked at the Avon TrailRiders which look great but these won out by being a bit more aggressive (closer to the TKC-70's that I originally wanted) and about half the cost. They will be run for 2 weeks and 8000 km's so I'm not super concerned about having the very best thing. Also a Sena 10S to replace my aging ScalaRider and chat with my friends en route who also have the same system.
IMG_5071.jpg

After seeing fz1rider's plight regarding a broken clutch cable, I decided to pack mine along with my old spark plugs. It's the flawed original with 35,000kms on it but still works fine and could help me or somebody else in a pinch. 
IMG_5421.jpg

I have used Shinko 705's.  They worked fine.  My only suggestion would be that the tread doesn't go quite as far to the edges as ... say the Trail Attack 2's.  So, if you are very aggressive you might be sure not to push lean angles too much.  

Other than that, nothing negative to say about them.  On the lightweight FJ-09/MT-09 Tracer ... I would be  quite confident they will last the full mileage / kilometers of your trip.

Have fun!!

Huh, is that a new reg with the bear spray? It used to be allowed. Bear bangers however are not allowed into Canada.
I have both bear spray and bear bangers that I purchased legally in Canada. I'll look into legality re: crossing the border however. I know pepper spray is a prohibited weapon but bear spray specifically is not. Not sure how they will treat bear bangers though. I'm leaving the guns at home, at least...

• 8 months later...