Reliable USB power - clearly not from the Cigarette Adapter

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Ok, that makes sense now. Thank you.  
The cable is a genuine Garmin branded cable. I too have found that Garmin devices are VERY picky about using a genuine cable. The universal cables all seem to put the device into data mode instead of navigation mode.
This is second hand information from a couple years ago. (from my techno-geek son) Hopefully I'm presenting it right. The Garmin GPS unit itself decides what mode to go into (navigation/update, PC) by the amount of voltage and from which pin it is receiving power from the cable.  
That is why not every generic charger/usb will work. Hope this helps.

YMMV 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
I'm having the same issue with my garmin. Let us know if the new socket cures the problem.
The new socket is on order but the warranty replacement won’t be for 3 weeks.  Not great timing as I am leaving on a 4day ride into Northern California on Wednesday, but I will make due, my buddy had a GPS on his bike in case mine craps out 100%.  

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
I'm having the same issue with my garmin. Let us know if the new socket cures the problem.
Have you tried wiring it directly to the leads under the dash?

• Supporting Member

I'm going to let Yamaha fix it under warranty this time but if (when) it fails again, I will bypass the socket and hardwire it directly to the oem connector.

No I haven't, but have thought of replaceing the socket with one of the bmw style sockets if i could get a garmin power cord with that style plug.

• 8 months later...
On 5/6/2018 at 8:19 AM, BBB said:

Remove the fairing parts around the cigarette adaptor and the two wires to it just pull off. Unscrew the adaptor and swap it for this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Car-Motorbike-3-1A-Dual-USB-LED-Charger-Socket-Voltage-Voltmeter-Panel/391872303737?epid=2205215850&hash=item5b3d68d279:g:wVUAAOSwz~VZn7c-

I've also been looking at these.  Did you do anything about the fuse on the aux circuit?  The charger is rated for just over 3 amps and the Tracer's aux circuits are fused at 2 amps.

CS 

No, I left the fuse as it is. I have never used both USB outlets simultaneously, just the higher rated one. 

But, my elementary Physics says it won’t be a problem. The fuse is rated at 2A, for a 12V circuit, which is 24W. USB output is 5V, so you would need to be pulling around 5A to require the same power requirement.

Seems to work.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

On 5/6/2018 at 9:02 PM, zebart said:

Are u sure it stops charging mine does not stay plugged in when I am riding 

Same here on the GT. I noticed the socket is too big for most adapters so they move around a lot and don't make proper contact causing it to stop charging. Have wrapped my adapter in electrical tape so i will see if that resolves the issue

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, bugie said:

Same here on the GT. I noticed the socket is too big for most adapters so they move around a lot and don't make proper contact causing it to stop charging. Have wrapped my adapter in electrical tape so i will see if that resolves the issue

I put a oring around mine.  No problems. 

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, bugie said:

I experienced the exact same thing, especially at higher speeds, almost as if the wind was pulling the adapter out of the socket.  I wrapped the adapter in electrical tape but it would still lose power.  The dealer looked at it and actually replaced it under warranty, the new one still lost power at speed so I stopped using it and hardwired to the aux. power outlets behind the screen and have never lost power since.

Mine does the same thing. I bought a USB adapter that has a red LED to indicate power. When I look down and see the LED is off, I push it back in. An hour later, I do it again. Works for me, but I am going to try the oring as mentioned by @micah2074

Does anyone leave their stuff plugged in for prolonged riding in the rain? I always unplug my phone due to fear that the socket will fill with water and short something out, but then I have a dead phone. 

@kmev if you replace the whole cigarette socket with a USB version, then you’ll find that the connection to the lead is quite deep within the socket and has always been weatherproof for me. My phone sits inside a tank bag, with a USB lead from the socket, through a rubber hole in the side of the bag. The phone sits in the warmth and the dry.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, kmev said:

Mine does the same thing. I bought a USB adapter that has a red LED to indicate power. When I look down and see the LED is off, I push it back in. An hour later, I do it again. Works for me, but I am going to try the oring as mentioned by @micah2074

Does anyone leave their stuff plugged in for prolonged riding in the rain? I always unplug my phone due to fear that the socket will fill with water and short something out, but then I have a dead phone. 

The socket has a drain hole in it. I’ve left my adapter plugged in in monsoon conditions and never had a problem. 

Let’s go Brandon

I used to have endless problems with my USB / Cig plug. I bought a Belkin which fitted flush with the socket. It worked great for a couple of years and then decided to die when I was on a trip. Found something which wasn't low profile and it kept wiggling lose. A bit of Sugru has sorted it out, the current el cheapo has a LED, so I can see if it's working or not, so far so good. It's only powering my Virb. Zumo is hard wired to a plug behind the screen.  

Archived