UK site provides Niken specifications - and price estimate

The Bike Market posted all the known specs for the Niken, and some new information I've been waiting for.  I couldn't find a publication date, but the video from Motorcyclist Magazine is embedded in the article, so it's within the last week or so and might actually be based on more than wishful thinking.  This is the link: https://www.thebikemarket.co.uk/yamaha/niken

One thing I've been looking forward to knowing is the weight of the Niken, said to be 263 Kg (579 lbs.) which is more than I expected and somewhat disheartening.  After riding the FJ-09, it's going to feel like you have a passenger riding pillion in the twisties. But at least you wont have helmets knocking together. :)

Second item, the price.  Bike Market estimates the Niken RRP (recommended retail price) at 11,000 British Pounds (14,900 USD). Unfortunately, that isn't much help for American prospective buyers because there are significant difference in import taxes, shipping costs and other factors between the UK and USA.  However, $15,000 USD may not be far off. Using the increase in cost between the RRP for MT-09 (7800 BP) and the estimate for Niken at 11000 BP = 141% and multiplying that increase by the US MSRP ($10,700 USD) it comes out $15,087.  That seems about right... if it all comes together and the Niken is as good as they'd have us believe.  

Since cornering ABS provides increased stability and safety using lightweight sensors and an IMU (inertial measurement unit) feeding bike attitude data to the computer, without a second front wheel and complex steering mechanism,  I'm looking forward to a handling/safety comparison between the Niken and any similar size motorcycle equipped with cornering ABS.   Giving away nearly 200 pounds to something like the new KTM 790 Duke (385# claimed) which has 104 HP and cornering ABS seems an insurmountable disadvantage.  Not to mention that KTM says the 790 Duke will come to market priced under $10,000 (I don't believe it, but that's the claim) the Niken will be facing some stiff competition.

I'm interested to see how the 45 degree limit to the lean angle will play out.. Not that many riders will go past that on the street but in theory could limit maneuverability. I would like to test ride one just to say I did.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I'm interested to see how the 45 degree limit to the lean angle will play out.. Not that many riders will go past that on the street but in theory could limit maneuverability. I would like to test ride one just to say I did.
Since I don't get to 40, let alone 45 degrees of lean anymore, I hadn't considered that question.   At 46 plus degrees, whenever the outboard wheel "lifts" (or quits providing support/traction) will the Niken want to fall inward, straighten out, tighten up the curve or...? It seems like a Niken rider would want to know before finding the answer somewhere on the Tail of the Dragon. 

I suspect the price in the US to be around $12.5-13k USD...

I tend to automatically subject 20% off the EU prices as they usually include the VAT tax in MSRP compared to online stores which will add the taxes at check out when you add your billing/shipping info... still puzzled by the almost 580# wet weight... thats almost 110# more than the FJ-09... I was thinking it would be about a 60# increase over the FJ-09 due to extra wheel, few more feet of suspension and the triple tree unit...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
still puzzled by the almost 580# wet weight... thats almost 110# more than the FJ-09... I was thinking it would be about a 60# increase over the FJ-09 due to extra wheel, few more feet of suspension and the triple tree unit...
Plus the beefed up frame which is unique only to this bike and the much wider cowling/ bodywork. 
Thats about what I was guesstimating. FJ +100 lbs. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I tend to automatically subject 20% off the EU prices as they usually include the VAT tax in MSRP compared to online stores which will add the taxes at check out when you add your billing/shipping info... still puzzled by the almost 580# wet weight... thats almost 110# more than the FJ-09... I was thinking it would be about a 60# increase over the FJ-09 due to extra wheel, few more feet of suspension and the triple tree unit...
From your lips to God's ear on the $12.5-13K price Norcal616.  But I expect that because Austria is part of the EU and England has not fully gotten exited from it, Austrian bikes don't pay the same (if any) VAT that Japanese motorcycle manufacturers do when importing to England and other EU nations.  Plus shipping cost from Austria to UK are lower than to the USA.

I was hoping for around 525 lbs. dry weight too.   We'll have to wait for real world reviews to see if Niken carries it's weight well or not.    Maybe, if we raise hell with the dealers, Yamaha will expand it's Demo Days plans to include more small towns  next year so more of us can ride the Niken.

• Supporting Member
Maybe, if we raise hell with the dealers, Yamaha will expand it's Demo Days plans to include more small towns  next year so more of us can ride the Niken.  

I just checked the Yamaha website and my local Yamaha dealer is having a demo days in June.

No Tracer or GT, no Niken either, - maybe next year.

** Friday - Saturday - TIME: 10:00AM to 5:00PM **

Come out and Demo any of these bikes:

Venture, Eluder, Bolt

FJR1300, Tenere

MT-10, MT-09, MT-07

XSR900, XSR700, FJ-09

R6, R3

• Supporting Member
Same lineup that came through Houston last month, @betoney.

Just for fun, I took their FJ09 demo out for a spin. It firmly reinforced my belief that upgraded suspension components are the best investment you can make on this bike... I’d forgotten just how flaccid the stock bike actually is.

Since I don't get to 40, let alone 45 degrees of lean anymore, I hadn't considered that question.   At 46 plus degrees, whenever the outboard wheel "lifts" (or quits providing support/traction) will the Niken want to fall inward, straighten out, tighten up the curve or...? It seems like a Niken rider would want to know before finding the answer somewhere on the Tail of the Dragon.  

Considering the geometry for a minute, I predict that this bike requires less lean to turn sharply than a two wheeled bikes does. Has to do with that other wheel sliding out to counter balance. Again, it's like skiing down a mountain with two ski's. Almost the exact same operation as downhill skiing.

Plus, I promise you hat the amount of guys and gals that dont go more than 45 degrees is a ton higher than we think. I know a lot of guys who THINK they lean that far that really don't.

I recall the introduction of the Piaggio MP3 500 in 2008. Pretty amazing scooter - leaning reverse trike, top speed around 95 mph and fun to ride. The moto-press gushed over the stability of a three wheeler in corners and did videos showing capable riders shredding Mulholland Highway twisties. I was on eBay a lot then, buying and selling VMax/Venture parts and started seeing wrecked MP3 500's and parts showing up there. Anecdotal I know, but with Yamaha promoting the Niken as a cornering monster and most riders not being as skilled as they would like to believe they are, Yamaha might want to dump the white clad riding robot they use for videos and let some regular riders get seat time on the Niken to see how they fare. When I see an out of shape, fat ass over 60 year old cranked over 45 degree on a Niken at a race track, I might get out my checkbook and make the plunge.

• Supporting Member
Yamaha might want to dump the white clad riding robot they use for videos and let some regular riders get seat time on the Niken to see how they fare. 
Im hoping the white robot suit is an optional accessory in the Yamaha catalog when the bike is released.  8-)

Yamaha might want to dump the white clad riding robot they use for videos and let some regular riders get seat time on the Niken to see how they fare. 
Im hoping the white robot suit is an optional accessory in the Yamaha catalog when the bike is released.  cool.png
I'm surprised that the (British) BBC hasn't slammed Yamaha for pinching their 'The Stig' persona from their 'Top Gear' motoring programme!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

So much for Bike Market's (now revised ) predictive powers;  Visordown (  http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/2018-yamaha-niken-price-announced ) says the "announced price" for the Niken is 13,499 GBP ($18,185 USD).  Leaves me a shocked and disappointed. While the Tracer 900 earns kudos for high value to price, the Tracer Niken seems aimed at the "gotta be first" to have the most expensive bit of high tech kit crowd - usually well represented at Ducati dealerships. (Editorial rant over) 

Visordown editor Alan Dowds says he will (by now has) ride the Niken Thursday  (5/17/2018) and will report on the experience ASAP.  You can stay tuned to Visordown for their ride report and more information. 

• 2 years later...
  • Supporting Member
On 5/19/2018 at 7:32 PM, justplainbill said:

So much for Bike Market's (now revised ) predictive powers;  Visordown (  http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/2018-yamaha-niken-price-announced ) says the "announced price" for the Niken is 13,499 GBP ($18,185 USD).  Leaves me a shocked and disappointed. While the Tracer 900 earns kudos for high value to price, the Tracer Niken seems aimed at the "gotta be first" to have the most expensive bit of high tech kit crowd - usually well represented at Ducati dealerships. (Editorial rant over) 

Visordown editor Alan Dowds says he will (by now has) ride the Niken Thursday  (5/17/2018) and will report on the experience ASAP.  You can stay tuned to Visordown for their ride report and more information. 

As of September 2020, US prices for 2019 new Yamaha Niken GT run anywhere from as low as $13,400 to as high as $17,300 in Cycletrader.com. 

The Niken GT is a very good bike. However, at $17,300 I would expect hard side cases (think Ducati Multistrada 950s or BMW F900 XR Touring) and the international appeal of something with Italian or German lineage. To me, the Niken GT is a very strong sport touring proposition at the $13k USD level, above that I know I would have gotten a new 950s, F900XR touring, or a 2-3 year old BMW S1000XR or Multistrada 1260 touring. 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."