Yamaha Unofficial Known Issue with FJ and FZ Engines

Sorry to hear about your bike. Mine is also beginning to disappoint me.  
I have found this video on Youtube that might be related.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY3faLPp1v0]

This video is not related in my opinion. The guy here put on a full aftermarket exhaust and did not flash the ECU, which caused his bike to run lean. That will cause any engine to have problems.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This sucks. Good luck with the repairs.

Difficult to judge if parts availability really means this issue is larger than indicated by the number of online reports. Just like if it was difficult to judge if heated grips being backordered for months was because of ginormous sales numbers, bad planning, supplier issues, etc.

If this becomes more widely reported it might be helpful to have a thread where owners submit specifics, mfg dates, measurements from valve checks prior to issue, etc.

Sorry to hear about your bike. Mine is also beginning to disappoint me.  
I have found this video on Youtube that might be related.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY3faLPp1v0]

This video is not related in my opinion. The guy here put on a full aftermarket exhaust and did not flash the ECU, which caused his bike to run lean. That will cause any engine to have problems. 

I understand what you are saying and it may well have contributed to what happened in this situation, if you already have tight valves from the start in my opinion. I know a lot of people that puts aftermarket exhausts without flashing their ECU and don't go blowing exhaust valves like that.

Anyone knows if running lean can cause tight valves?

We appreciate you sharing. We're going to defend our bikes 'till the bitter end cuz you know... they're our bikes and bikes are family haha.
It kills me to even have bad feelings about my FJ, but my experience has been awful with this failure. Life without having my bike has been pretty rough, so I can understand why everyone would feel compelled to defend theirs. When my backup Honda Grom was down for maintenance, I was riding my bicycle to work

This sucks. Good luck with the repairs.  
Difficult to judge if parts availability really means this issue is larger than indicated by the number of online reports. Just like if it was difficult to judge if heated grips being backordered for months was because of ginormous sales numbers, bad planning, supplier issues, etc.

If this becomes more widely reported it might be helpful to have a thread where owners submit specifics, mfg dates, measurements from valve checks prior to issue, etc.
It's just odd how they have had no exhaust valves, but an abundant supply of intake. I agree, though, that it's hard to tell. I just know that when we spoke to a higher up in Yamaha, he was familiar with my issue without having much explained. It could have been a production date range with a supplier issue, which is kinda the feeling received from the interaction. 
I also think that would be helpful, if it becomes more widespread. I noticed that a lot of people were reporting very tight exhaust valves, upon the first valve check. I even remember reading that people were doing the check at 10k miles and still seeing very tight valves. I'd have to look for those posts again, but I do recall reading those kinds of reports

Very true. Mine were all 1-3 thousands tighter than spec at 24k miles. I checked em early due to how many I had read about being tight as well.

Interesting that the Yamaha rep gave the vibe that he wasn’t super surprised about your circumstances. I’m sure they hear about a lot more failures of all kinds of machines then we do. It’s possible the dealership called Corporate to let them know what was up and possibly ask them for assistance too.

Reasons for backorders can be many, but in my experience vendor changes or production changes are right up there.

Lots to consider.

And btw, I’d like to see those pictures too, if it’s not to much trouble.

-S

p><p> <a href=https://s7.postimg.cc/uuxk9xsbv/IMG_20180221_173118355_HDR.jpg' alt='IMG_20180221_173118355_HDR.jpg'> 
IMG_20180221_173130428.jpg

You can see how the exhaust seats are beat down into the head, unlike the intake seats.
Sorry I don't see what you are describing.  They, exhaust ports, look totally normal.  A little carbon build up on the head.  You don't show the valves and their deformity.  I would think that the valves would have the most deformity as you describe it.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Those exhaust seats should look like the intake seats with multiple angles, not all flattened out.
And Do you have any idea how lean you would need to be to burn an exhaust valve?? Not going to happen with addition of an exhaust, especially if he kept the O2 sensor. . The Buell XB's were running at 14.7 to 15.1 from the factory. New Harleys are similar. 10 years with a dyno shop tuning----

Those exhaust seats should look like the intake seats with multiple angles, not all flattened out. And Do you have any idea how lean you would need to be to burn an exhaust valve?? Not going to happen with addition of an exhaust, especially if he kept the O2 sensor. . The Buell XB's were running at 14.7 to 15.1 from the factory. New Harleys are similar. 10 years with a dyno shop tuning----
Since I haven't seen a new head with new seats, I can't argue your point, but the angle cut  or shown is too uniform to indicate rounding or having been altered by the valves.  Show me a picture of a new head with new seats please. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

them valve seat cuts look norm... intake and exhaust are not always identical in terms of size,seat cuts, shape, cam dur, lift, ramp rates, etc...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

For the less mechanically minded amongst us, lets say this does turn out to be a common issue... What's the potential for damage? An inconvenience? A thing to add to service schedule? Expensive repair? Serious damage?

Just bought a 2015 mt-09 tracer with 7k miles, anything I should consider getting checked out to be safe?

Archived