Yamaha Unofficial Known Issue with FJ and FZ Engines

An air-cooled CB750 lasted well past 90k miles with just oil change and a new valve cover gasket. Yamaha's stance is inscrutable. Are they really so short-sighted that they can't conceive what this could do to them in PR? What does an already shipped head and full rebuild labor cost? $2000? And they think millions in fallout is a good idea? Or at the very least pissing off one dude royally who can easily reach thousands with social media?

@vinnie once you get that copy send it to me or if you prefer contact Chris Ulrich at RoadRacing World directly. I think Yamaha's tune will change RIGHT quick.

Even if in the USA an FJ might be lucky to see 5000 miles a year that's still only 8yrs of ownership. I can't see nearly all FJ's getting scrapped by that age.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32989.jpg IMG_20180221_173118355_HDR.jpg

This is an aftermarket head or a Yamaha one?  Because the beveling in the area around the valve seats is quite notably different, as is the spark plug placement.

Given how different is it, I'm not sure that it's necessarily evidence of the valve seats being ruined on the old one vs simply evidence that they changed the valve seats, along with apparently a lot of other little details about the head design. 

32989.jpg IMG_20180221_173118355_HDR.jpg
This is an aftermarket head or a Yamaha one?  Because the beveling in the area around the valve seats is quite notably different, as is the spark plug placement. 
Given how different is it, I'm not sure that it's necessarily evidence of the valve seats being ruined on the old one vs simply evidence that they changed the valve seats, along with apparently a lot of other little details about the head design. 

You're right, the entire depression is different. I hadn't noticed that before...

'15 FJ09

So is Yamaha saying "Yes, your engine failed and that is normal for ~40k miles" or are they only saying "The wear we observed is normal for ~40K miles"?.

I mean, are they really admitting that it is okay for an engine to fail/require rebuild @ 40K miles???

Awesome, but isn’t that an entirely different motor?
Well yes. The point was to say Yam engineering on the FZ07 team at least can still design a lasting motor.

Sure, I don’t think anyone would argue that. The question seems to be whether or not OP had a lemon or if maybe Yammers overlooked something on OUR motors.

I don’t have a dog in this fight. I’m at 22k and purring along happily. I doubt the 24k service will reveal anything abnormal. A lot of people in this thread seem inclined to argue in favor of no problems. I don’t know why. Just recognize OP seems to have had a significant problem, keep it in mind.

An air-cooled CB750 lasted well past 90k miles with just oil change and a new valve cover gasket. Yamaha's stance is inscrutable. Are they really so short-sighted that they can't conceive what this could do to them in PR? What does an already shipped head and full rebuild labor cost? $2000? And they think millions in fallout is a good idea? Or at the very least pissing off one dude royally who can easily reach thousands with social media?  
@vinnie once you get that copy send it to me or if you prefer contact Chris Ulrich at RoadRacing World directly. I think Yamaha's tune will change RIGHT quick.

Even if in the USA an FJ might be lucky to see 5000 miles a year that's still only 8yrs of ownership. I can't see nearly all FJ's getting scrapped by that age.
I will send it to you. I would love to put the spotlight on Yamaha. I have the form that the dealer faxed over.

So is Yamaha saying "Yes, your engine failed and that is normal for ~40k miles" or are they only saying "The wear we observed is normal for ~40K miles"?.  
I mean, are they really admitting that it is okay for an engine to fail/require rebuild @ 40K miles???
Yes, I have a response from Yamaha calling it normal wear @ 38000 miles. It's pathetic. Do I think all engines are going to have this failure? No, probably not. But I suspect a run of them, especially earlier ones, are going to see issues. These issues are not new to Yamaha. They aren't doing their reputation any favors with how they treated me. I reached out to the customer relations rep's manager and this woman didn't even return my messages, which were 3 over the span of two weeks. 
I'm buying a vstrom 1000 and I am going to ride it to California in two weeks, after break in. I kinda want to go visit the Yamaha USA Corp headquarters and show them my new Suzuki. Thanks Yamaha

These issues are not new to Yamaha. They aren't doing their reputation any favors with how they treated me. I reached out to the customer relations rep's manager and this woman didn't even return my messages, which were 3 over the span of two weeks. 
I'm buying a vstrom 1000 and I am going to ride it to California in two weeks, after break in. I kinda want to go visit the Yamaha USA Corp headquarters and show them my new Suzuki. Thanks Yamaha
Print all of it out and have the mechanic/dealer commit to paper (email but letterhead preferred) their observations and the process as they experienced it, all organized into a folder. Some better pics would be nice. Then walk into the reception and insist on the head of customer relations come down and meet you (call ahead for appointment? or as high up the food chain you can go) and also show them your shiny new Zuk and comment for want of a measly couple grand they have lost a customer forever. I would have a second packet ready and address it personally to the CEO. He might not read it but his secretary probably will and again, it could end up being forwarded to the head of CR. You'd be surprised how accessible some CEOs can be though.

Archived