Angeles Crest Highway

racreative

• Premium Member
Took my daughter for a Sunday morning ride from Wrightwood down Hwy 2 along the Pacific Crest Trail. We were around 7,000 feet and you can see the clouds blanketing Los Angeles. We had a blast!

IMG_4690.jpgIMG_4691.jpgIMG_4694.jpg

Hey, I just rode that Friday! Love that ride.
It is a great road, the corners are almost all banked. Did you go from the 138 or start down near Glendale?
I actually started in Temecula, went through Idyllwilde, Big Bear, Rim of the World, down to Silverlake and then over. It was a looong day. How was the Sunday traffic?

• Premium Member
That sounds like an awesome ride! Rim of the world is an amazing road. Views are spectacular.

Traffic was not to bad, lots of bikes... and a few sports cars. I am sure later in the day traffic picked up. There were lots of hikers, all coming up the Pacific Crest Trail. This most be the time of year, the start their northern trek. 

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
We went on a ride again yesterday morning down Angeles Crest Highway. We rode to Newcomb's Ranch on Hwy 2: https://www.newcombsranch.com
Great ride, only passed a few cars... nearly everyone out was on 2 wheels. The group I went with had talked about possibly making the loop from i15 & Hwy 138 up along the Rim of the World to Big Bear. We opted out of that route due to the fire is still burning and went to Newcomb's Ranch instead. Great ride! Hit monsoonal rain on our way back to Wrightwood. We were drenched when we got off the mountain... Although, It was nice to have our gear soaked when we hit the 107º high desert heat, kept us cool for a few minutes before our gear dried.

Screen_Shot_2018-07-08_at_7.36.00_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2018-07-08_at_7.36.37_PM.png

• Premium Member
Dudes...what  hot day to attempt that!...but looks like you had fun, cool.png 
Rode up to Angeles Crest [ACH] last Thursday 7-5 and the road was blocked just after the tunnels...but on weekdays ACH is totally empty and fun riding...let's plan a ride sometime ?  
It was definitely warm, however up in the mountains it was in the high 80's low 90's. For a Saturday the roads were empty (probably because of the heat). Newcomb's only had a few bikes and sports cars... not the normal rows of bikes and exotic sports cars. Let me know next time you plan on riding up there I will see if we can meet up. I live close to Wrightwood, so I typically get on Hwy 2 by way of the 138. 

• 2 weeks later...
Yesterday we meet up at Cajon Junction then headed east past Silverwood Lake to Crestline to 18 aka Rim of the World. Rim of the World runs east and west along the ridgeline. To the south you have San Bernardino, and to the north the high desert. Very beautiful road and scenery with lots of mid-speed sweepers. Great stuff. We headed east on the Rim of the World to Big Bear Lake, the we turned on to 38 on the north side of the lake, lots of tight corners, no traffic lights and less traffic. Stopped in Fawnskin for lunch at the North Shore Café. The headed southeast on 38. I live in North San Diego County so it was a 290 mile round trip, freeway in the beginning and awesome roads the rest of the way.
john

Archived