Time for a new front sprocket damped or undamped?

Im well over due for new sprockets, my stock sprockets have 30000kms on the 2nd chain. My question is should a get a front sprocket with the OEM style rubber dampener or just a regular steel sprocket? Ive read some mixed reviews stating the damped sprocket causes wierd harmonics as well as the regular steel sprockets also causing noise and vibrations...

• Premium Member
I recently replaced my chain/sprockets and went with an undampened front.  I haven't put many miles on it since, but I don't notice any vibration difference one way or the other.

• Premium Member
I have no idea if these things work and as noisy as the fj is I doubt anyone could tell the difference, but with all the nickel and dime cost cutting going on in the global powersports industry you have to wonder why would they put something on a bike if it did nothing.
Anyway here's what these guys say:
Home › JT Front Sprockets
JT Sprockets is the world's leading manufacturer of aftermarket sprockets, constantly raising the industry's standards for quality and service. Committed to supplying the most durable, best quality sprockets available in the marketplace worldwide. JT produce and sell more sprockets than all the other aftermarket brands combined.

Out now the new RB series: Rubber cushioned sprockets have been standard fitment on Japanese motorcycle manufacturers on larger capacity motorcycles since the early 1990’s to dampen the chain impact on the teeth of the front sprocket.
JT sprockets now offer selected replacement front sprockets with the same OEM proven technology.
Benefits include
Tough rubber damper which significantly reduces transmission noise.
Improved wear resistance and reduced vibration that will help extend both sprocket and chain life.
The JT Sprockets Rubber cushioned front sprocket range meet or exceed all OEM quality standards. With over 18 million produced each year, JT sells more sprockets than all other aftermarket brands combined. The main player in the market place for over twenty-five years, their popularity is a true testament to the quality and unbeatable value that's standard with each JT sprocket.

BLB

I've noticed a huge reduction in vibrations-the chain noise dont bother me...

w/ damping the vibrations where clunky/odd bass rhythm which got worse with more rpm

w/o damping the vibrations felt more natural, small fine vibrations

they dont use front sprockets w/ damping on dirt bikes that I know of...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Guest highplainsrider
I have run both back to back for comparison. Dampened is way quieter on my bike. The price is essentially the same so I stuck with the OEM part.

• Premium Member
Don't know if IT offers the "RB" FOR the FJ let alone in 520, which is what I went with at 18k miles (now at about 25k).

The front own rubber sprocket didn't look bad at all, nor did the rear for that matter but the oem chain was wasted badly. I'm not the most anal chain guy but still 18k miles is 3 to 5k less than I normally get.

But I've not notches any real change in noise or vibration without the rubber front.

• Supporting Member
@Dark&Stormy I went with non-dampened front sprocket and notice no difference.

While you are replacing the entire set, now is the perfect time to consider a gearing change. Right after buying the bike I switched to a 15T (-1) front sprocket, Ive done that to all of my bikes in the past, street and dirt, better low end pull and feels a bit sportier.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
...I thought you went with 16T and up-sized the rear instead. Change your mind?

I did both.  When I bought the bike I installed a 15T, when I recently replaced the chain and sprockets I went with a stock 16T front and a 47, (+2) in the rear with a 112 link chain. 

The ratio is fairly similar, either way you go its a nice improvement for the way I ride, it might not be for everyone.

15T front sprocket is the bees knees... you can still easily reach double the national speed limit, unless you need more?
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

@Dark&Stormy I went with non-dampened front sprocket and notice no difference. 
While you are replacing the entire set, now is the perfect time to consider a gearing change. Right after buying the bike I switched to a 15T (-1) front sprocket, Ive done that to all of my bikes in the past, street and dirt, better low end pull and feels a bit sportier.

Perhaps, but i do a lot of highway and long distant rides. Wouldnt that increase my rpms at highway speed and lower my fuel range?

• Supporting Member
Its all personal preference. I do as much long distance riding as I do sporty "hooligan" type riding and noticed on the highway the rpm is increased about 300rpm over stock gearing when cruising and still averaging an indicated 45-46 mpg per tank. For me though, the slight lower gearing makes the motor feel more alive and eager. Like I said, its not for everyone.