Time for a new front sprocket damped or undamped?

• Premium Member
What are you using to break your chain and rivet the new Regina chain? I understand that the solid pins on link supplied with the Regina chain are pretty hard to rivet so you need a heavy duty riveter.  Did you do the job yourself?  I plan to replace the chain, sprockets and rear tire at the same time on my 2016 and I am looking at similar hardware but need to buy a chain tool that will work with this setup. 
Thanks in advance. 
My parts are still in transit. I was planning on buying a breaker/riveter kit most likely the Motion Pro kit. I didnt know Regina chains were hard to rivet.

As far as breaking the old chain. I grind down the rivets with a Dremel and pop the plate off with a large screwdriver. Takes about 2 minuets.
  • Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

My parts are still in transit. I was planning on buying a breaker/riveter kit most likely the Motion Pro kit. I didnt know Regina chains were hard to rivet.
As far as breaking the old chain. I grind down the rivets with a Dremel and pop the plate off with a large screwdriver. Takes about 2 minuets.

Yeah i just grinded down one rivet and used the motion pro chain breaker.

• Premium Member
Yeah i just grinded down one rivet and used the motion pro chain breaker.
You don’t even need the breaker. A big flat screwdriver will pop that booger right off after a little grinding.  I have the motion pro tool and have never used the breaker. Only used the riveter. 
  • Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

• 4 months later...
I recently replaced chain and both sprockets. I put on a non-dampened front sprocket and the chain noise was very noticeable to me. I'm sure it's just noise and perfectly fine to run that way, but I found it bothersome, so I replaced my brand new front sprocket with a JT dampened sprocket and the noise is finally gone. The drive train is smooth and quiet now and I'm happy with it. The dampened one wasn't that much more expensive, but dampened is the only way for me. Your opinion may be different.

• Supporting Member
I recently replaced chain and both sprockets. I put on a non-dampened front sprocket and the chain noise was very noticeable to me. I'm sure it's just noise and perfectly fine to run that way, but I found it bothersome, so I replaced my brand new front sprocket with a JT dampened sprocket and the noise is finally gone. The drive train is smooth and quiet now and I'm happy with it. The dampened one wasn't that much more expensive, but dampened is the only way for me. Your opinion may be different.

That initial noise on the non-dampened sprocket would have gone away in about a hundred miles.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

That initial noise on the non-dampened sprocket would have gone away in about a hundred miles.

Good to know as I am about to install a non-dampened sprocket.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 6 months later...

Was looking for new chain/sprockets and came across this snippet....

"The rubber profile applied on both sides guarantees noise reduction, which is at least 2 db more than conventional kits, thereby extending transmission life."

-

SPROCKETCENTER.COM

Fits the YAMAHA FZ/FJ 900/700/800 , R-1 models - OEM-Style Dampened Front Sprocket - 525 Pitch The rubber profile applied on both sides...

Not sure how noise reduction translates into extended transmission life but thought it was interesting nonetheless.

• Supporting Member
On 7/2/2018 at 11:16 PM, micah2074 said:

Yup, that's the cat's meow...👍

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2019 at 12:01 PM, dbeau said:

for anyone interested. The Ognibene products from Sprocket Center, both front and back have been on back-order for a very long time. I ordered mine about 2 months ago. Finally had to call them and get them to send the non-dampened ones. They kept saying they will be here "in a week or 2", but realistically I don't think they know when they'll get their next shipment.

1 hour ago, brewhaha said:

for anyone interested. The Ognibene products from Sprocket Center, both front and back have been on back-order for a very long time. I ordered mine about 2 months ago. Finally had to call them and get them to send the non-dampened ones. They kept saying they will be here "in a week or 2", but realistically I don't think they know when they'll get their next shipment.

They offer a JT front sprocket with rubber dampner. And cheaper too

sprocket.PNG

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I just replaced the chain and sprockets on my 2015 FJ-09. Sprocket Center had no damped front sprocket in stock, so I went with a JT 16/45 steel combination with DID 525-VX chain. Although super smooth, the undamped front sprocket has a siren sound that has NOT gone away after 700 miles, so I'll be replacing that with an OEM damped sprocket later this week. 

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

5 hours ago, clint said:

I just replaced the chain and sprockets on my 2015 FJ-09. Sprocket Center had no damped front sprocket in stock, so I went with a JT 16/45 steel combination with DID 525-VX chain. Although super smooth, the undamped front sprocket has a siren sound that has NOT gone away after 700 miles, so I'll be replacing that with an OEM damped sprocket later this week. 

Are you talking about that 4k-ish rpm whistle the bike makes? If so I thought that was the engine.

I just replaced my sprockets/chain too. No dampner Superlite sprockets (17/43) and DID 525vx. I noticed no difference in sound but it's way smoother maybe just because my last chain was shot and had many kinks.

• Thumbsup 1