Time for a new front sprocket damped or undamped?

Plain Jane sprocket... That rubber ring causes an odd clunky vibration since it does not allow the chain to ride on it's inner rollers over the sprocket but rather the front half of the outside links... 

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, dbeau said:

Are you talking about that 4k-ish rpm whistle the bike makes? If so I thought that was the engine.

I just replaced my sprockets/chain too. No dampner Superlite sprockets (17/43) and DID 525vx. I noticed no difference in sound but it's way smoother maybe just because my last chain was shot and had many kinks.

No, that "whistle" seems to be a characteristic of 3 cylinder platforms. Love it! Remember the K75 "Whistling Brick"? I can get the bike up to speed, pull in the clutch (engine at idle) and hear a distinct "whirl" sound with a frequency that matches the speed of the bike. It's not tire noise, but absolutely attributed to the new front sprocket. It's gotten less pronounced after almost 1K miles, but it's still there. Honestly, I love the smoothness of this setup and with the sound diminishing over time, I might just leave it as is, even with a damped sprocket in the mail tomorrow. You can hear it during the last 8 seconds of the video, when I pull in the clutch. I'm only going about 20MPH, so it's not very loud.

• Thumbsup 1
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 8:10 AM, clint said:

@clint curious if you changed to dampened. I have bad sounds/vibes at constant speed. I think I've narrowed it down to either the clutch or front sprocket non-dampened(sprocket center was out about a month ago).  Your issue sounds very similar to mine. thanks

It's the Uber secret super sprocket charger (super charger) making that "belt whine" ... Now you know why this little motor packs power above it's weight 🙃

• Thumbsup 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp