Ontario - I cut my insurance premium in half this year!

Husqy

Hey Ontario Owners,

Just wanted to leave some info here!

I got my updated contract from Aviva this year, and was sad to see it was still $2100/year for Liability + Comp. I contacted my broker, Dalton Timmis, and they got me onto Echelon for $1900/year; not bad but still high.

On a group ride, a fellow rider suggest I contact Co-operators (details below)... Unfortunately they have an EXTENSIVE 'exclusion' list for motorcycles, with pretty much every sport bike on it. But guess which bike isn't? Our beloved FJ09.

The quote they gave me was $1043 for the same coverage!!! I then opted to get full coverage for $1200 because why the hell not!

So happy entering this riding season. Tell Bozena that Lukas sent you!

Contact Details

Božena Andreeski
Associate Insurance Advisor

Tish Wilson Insurance Group Inc. |The Co-operators
203-10220 Derry Road | Milton, ON L9T 7J3
Tel: 905-864-6900 |Fax: 905-864-6901| Claims Toll Free: 1-877-682-5246
Tish_wilson_milton@cooperatros.ca | www.cooperators.ca

Wow, how many DWI's have you had?
Canadian FJ 09 Owners Forum... 
Thread about Ontario Insurance.

0, the answer is 0 DWIs. I just live in Ontario and am not over 30.

I live in Manitoba, Canada. My insurance is ~$1200 per year and I have a good record. Insurance is provincial government no-fault insurance only, no private companies, no shopping around; one set rate. Only upside is that I can cancel my insurance at the end of the riding season and get a good chunk back and the rate for insuring my bike over the winter is only $40.

Sigh... you try to post under the Canadian FJ09 portion... with a title of 'Ontario owners' and all the responses are just out-of-province people saying they pay less.

WE KNOW.

This was just info to help us Ontarians who are paying out the ass for insurance.
  • Thanks 1

Sigh... you try to post under the Canadian FJ09 portion... with a title of 'Ontario owners' and all the responses are just out-of-province people saying they pay less. 
WE KNOW.

This was just info to help us Ontarians who are paying out the ass for insurance.
Sorry,  my post was intended as sort of a clumsy way of sympathizing with you.

• Premium Member
The offending post has been deleted. Keeping the delicate sensibilities of all intact.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

WE KNOW.

Sorry,  my post was intended as sort of a clumsy way of sympathizing with you.
No problem! Just some people seem to want to rub salt in the wound. We just want reasonable insurance :( 

I'm paying around $650, living in a big city in California, for non-full coverage (was quoted $1k-1.5k for full coverage). The Canadian insurance prices aren't too far off from what we're paying out here in Cali.
Fair enough, but you guys do get a true 12 month riding season... We are looking at 8-9 months at best :\\ (that's for us brave ones who ride until about 0 C)

I'm paying around $650, living in a big city in California, for non-full coverage (was quoted $1k-1.5k for full coverage). The Canadian insurance prices aren't too far off from what we're paying out here in Cali.
To avoid hi-jacking the thread (again, sorry) I'm going to shoot you a PM. 

'15 FJ09

• 2 weeks later...
When I received my insurance renewal letter/invoice a couple of years ago here in Ontario, Intact congratulated me for being a loyal customer with a clean driving record -- no tickets, no accidents , no claims -- and bumped up my rate by a couple of hundred dollars. I had gotten the insurance through the same broker who takes care of my home and auto insurance. I called her up. She tried, but couldn't get a better deal.

I called up Riders Plus and asked for some quotes. They came back with three quotes -- one of which was from Intact for $240 less than Intact had invoiced me for my renewal. Apparently, "loyal customer" means he or she probably won't bother checking around for a better rate and therefore can be charged much more than a prospective new customer. I ended up going with the cheapest quote, which was with Echelon. So, instead of a big increase, I got a big decrease. I recommend Riders Plus.
  • Thumbsup 1