• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Ontario - I cut my insurance premium in half this year!

Husqy

And, to think I thought my insurance (SF Bay Area, California) was high. With my previous bike (2006 Suzuki SV650S), and full coverage ($100K/300K, deductible waiver, medical, towing, etc), I was paying slightly less than $400/yr, which jumped to a lol over $600/yr with the FJ. Sorry to hear that.

• 1 month later...
Just for comparison, I'm in Ontario, and I'm at just under $1000 / year with Intac, full coverage, 2018 Tracer. 40, married, kids, 12 years riding and insured, no accidents. My company has a group discount with cooperators, which I intend to explore next year when I renew.

• 3 months later...
On 6/3/2018 at 3:35 PM, Husqy said:

Hey Ontario Owners,

Just wanted to leave some info here!

I got my updated contract from Aviva this year, and was sad to see it was still $2100/year for Liability + Comp. I contacted my broker, Dalton Timmis, and they got me onto Echelon for $1900/year; not bad but still high.

On a group ride, a fellow rider suggest I contact Co-operators (details below)... Unfortunately they have an EXTENSIVE 'exclusion' list for motorcycles, with pretty much every sport bike on it. But guess which bike isn't? Our beloved FJ09.

The quote they gave me was $1043 for the same coverage!!! I then opted to get full coverage for $1200 because why the hell not!

So happy entering this riding season. Tell Bozena that Lukas sent you!

Contact Details

Božena Andreeski
Associate Insurance Advisor

Tish Wilson Insurance Group Inc. |The Co-operators
203-10220 Derry Road | Milton, ON L9T 7J3
Tel: 905-864-6900 |Fax: 905-864-6901| Claims Toll Free: 1-877-682-5246
Tish_wilson_milton@cooperatros.ca | www.cooperators.ca

Well that's odd. The co-operators said my FJ was on the excluded list. Said it was a high-performance machine. It is but still... This was in 2016 in Alberta though. Must've changed their minds. I had to choose state farm. It's about 1500/yr.

You guys are being screwed on insurance.   But are you being quoted for the correct bike? - I ask because I was quoted almost AUD$1000 to insure a past Tracer (MT-09 Tracer here in Oz), but the insurance co had actually quoted for the non-Tracer MT-09 - an out-and-out hooligan bike here, much loved and even more crashed by young wannabees!   On clarifying, quote went down to a little over AUD$400.   I'll be paying AUD$386 to insure my new Tracer shortly... 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

On 7/16/2018 at 3:49 PM, Panther6834 said:

And, to think I thought my insurance (SF Bay Area, California) was high. With my previous bike (2006 Suzuki SV650S), and full coverage ($100K/300K, deductible waiver, medical, towing, etc), I was paying slightly less than $400/yr, which jumped to a lol over $600/yr with the FJ. Sorry to hear that.

The difference here is that even though $200k is the minimum liability, I haven't seen any insurance that will do <$1M. Other ontario owners can chime in here.. but definitely something I would be willing to look at next season

12 hours ago, korkimann said:

Well that's odd. The co-operators said my FJ was on the excluded list. Said it was a high-performance machine. It is but still... This was in 2016 in Alberta though. Must've changed their minds. I had to choose state farm. It's about 1500/yr.

Can't post the full PDF but this is what the Insurance broker sent me for Yamaha753280347_RestrictedList.thumb.jpg.fcea9db8fb727a54eebfe3ffd3d34f20.jpg

On 8/16/2018 at 10:14 PM, darkstar77 said:

Just for comparison, I'm in Ontario, and I'm at just under $1000 / year with Intac, full coverage, 2018 Tracer. 40, married, kids, 12 years riding and insured, no accidents. My company has a group discount with cooperators, which I intend to explore next year when I renew.

Sounds a touch high...

I'm 26, single and paying $1200 for full coverage on my 2015. Maybe because your bike is slightly newer?

Also my insurance dropped by about 30% when I moved from West GTA to the Kitchener-Waterloo area.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys. My renewal came thru at 160 bucks more then last year so i rang my brokers who said not their fault as rates had increased. i rang 3 other brokers who all qouted me about 100 bucks LESS then last year so i chose one. Guess what? when i looked at the details it was with the actual insurance company i was already with. the moral is ring round all brokers as they seem to be marking up your renewals probably hoping you will just renew without checking.

• 3 weeks later...

I had to move my insurance around this year. Cooperators is a no go. The Tracer is blacklisted. After a lengthy talk with my broker, I ended up moving my insurance provider, again.. I went through Ridersplus this time, ended up on Echelon , $1028 for the year, comprehensive.

My experience with Cooperators was really negative. I was looking to move my car, house, and motorcycle, and they were not interested in any of my business. What they would quote me on was not competitive.

I've been shopping around too, the Tracer GT is classed as a sport bike by every company I contacted in Ontario. The best price I have is $875 (full coverage) from Harley Davidson insurance, powered by Aviva. The website says they will insure any brand of bike provided one bike is a Harley, but they quoted me for 2 Yamahas.

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada