Tenere 700 - I want one beside my FJ-09

bikecab

Tenere 700 - Yamaha better hurry before KTM, BMW and Honda capture the market. We all want one.....well, I want one and many of you may secretly want one whether it is the cool Aussie release which has parts like, lets say, exhaust for instance - that won't be stock. The spy photos show it won't be far off. Now the question of whether Yamaha will release in Europe first when the majority will be sold in the US. 

What say you guys? 

image.png

image.png

image.png

Looking at the general configuration (small front brake rotors, high exhaust, foot pegs and such) and the fact they've taken it on a year long, Dakar like World Tour introduction ( https://world-raid.com/the-route/ ), I'm thinking it's going to be either the world's best dual sport or the world's worst Adventure bike - or both. Consider that with a de-tuned CP2 engine (70 HP or so), light weight and decent suspension, it will gobble up KLR650's, DR650's, DL650, and probably even KTM 690 Enduro's in the dirt and for non-touring street use. Mid-size and larger ADV bikes wont even come close to it off-road.

Not that it wont be able to keep up with the mid-size ADV bikes on the highway but it will be under powered compared to Triumph Tiger 800, BMW F850 GS, and KTM 790 Enduro and probably be lacking creature comforts, electronics and touring amenities of those bikes. And so, will be judged lacking in any kind of mid-size adventure "shoot-out" the motorcycle press decides to enter the Tenere 700 into. But it will almost certainly take the "best bang for the buck" prize no matter what it goes up against.

Guest highplainsrider
I want one. I’m looking to downsize in another year or so and right now I’m really interested in the middle weight dual sports - KTM Enduro 690, T7, Honda CRF450L. Looking to do less highway and more backroads and BLM dirt roads since there are so many near where I live. I’m thinky that I need at least 40 hp and fuel injection. Pass on the KLR650.

T7 looks like the sweet spot for some offroad and enough power for highway cruising. 

I used to have the tenere xt660z.. I'm a tall guy so it's big size and hight was good. I liked very much the line / design, like an adventure big Enduro. Yet after some years, the motor power seemed not enough for me traveling highway ... and was too heavy to pick up on off road falls. I sold it and got the fj-09. Yamaha stopped production of xt660z in 2015 I think... And it's taking so long to have the tenere 700 out in the market. Very odd gap between one model, and the other

Guest highplainsrider
I used to have the tenere xt660z.. I'm a tall guy so it's big size and hight was good. I liked very much the line / design, like an adventure big Enduro. Yet after some years, the motor power seemed not enough for me traveling highway ... and was too heavy to pick up on off road falls. I sold it and got the fj-09. Yamaha stopped production of xt660z in 2015 I think... And it's taking so long to have the tenere 700 out in the market. Very odd gap between one model, and the other
I had to look up the xt660 - I guess it was never offered in the USA. I like it but can see your point about the power on the highway. 46.9 HP at the crank isn't bad for a thumper, but the 460 pound wet weight is pretty heavy. 

• Premium Member
Interested analysis Justplainbill. Right now I think there is a hole in the market for a truly lightweight adventure bike. The F650GS Dakar/Sertao fit this role but BMW dropped that model. I hope the T7 slots into this market, with similar weight but a bit more power that the Dakar/Sertao.

If this bike came out years ago I would have brought one instead of an FZ-07... its a very easy motor to ride off road due to its broad flat tractor torque curve vs a peaky dirt bike power band... its also my understanding the T7 is based closely to a 2008 WR450F chassis/suspension... This motor on an FZ-07 with an aftermarket airbox cracks 80whp50tq vs 68whp45tq... stock wise the TQ starts at 2.5k rpms and just tractors it to 7.5k...with aftermarket airbox it extends the TQ an extra 2.5k rpms...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Interested analysis Justplainbill. Right now I think there is a hole in the market for a truly lightweight adventure bike. The F650GS Dakar/Sertao fit this role but BMW dropped that model. I hope the T7 slots into this market, with similar weight but a bit more power that the Dakar/Sertao.

If you really want a light wight multipurpose bike, you can go to the scale of 300 cc. There are a couple of options... For example BMW 310 gs, or Honda xre 300. I got recently the Honda... Just 150kgm, very decent torque, and acceptable push up to 100 kms /hr. Don't demand much more beyond 120 kms / hr. Gas consumption very decent:30 kms /lt. Off road you can feel the light weight which is more fun and safer than a heavy bike.

Archived