Motorcycle.com comparo

• Premium Member
Just an FYI, those roads are right here in So. Cal. I recognize the turns, that is Spunky Canyon. Very technical and occasionally dirty, but fun.

Here is a terrible low res video on that road with yours truly:
[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIlN0OfdrmM#t=29]

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

They got it right.  But I have to add that with the touring windshields, the wind blast at the face is gone, therefore improving long distance/multi day touring.  Also, the hard seat is good for long rides and maybe some beads will work great in the summer.  They also showed 37 mpg.  Of course, they are riding in the twisties, with three other fast riders and the freaking bike is so much fun, they can't control themselves.

Now I can and have controlled myself for the very reason to determine how many miles can I expect to get out of a tank of gas while touring.  The numbers are in.  Cruising at around 70-74, I can get 45mpg or over 200 miles on a tank of gas (using 4.5 gallons) and still have about .3 gallons left.  If I drop the speed to 60, I can get around 55 mpg, and over 60 if I drop down to 50mph.  So if I do the first 3 gallons on a road like 191 out of Alpine in Az. I will get about 111 miles down the road and if I limp down the road at 50mph I can still make 200 miles.  Great bike.  If I cruise at 83-85 I will only get around 40-42mpg or about 190 miles.

I have also found that the computer is about 2 mpg off and that the actual numbers are  lower than noted on the bike.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Is everyone here from the west coast? Just curious! I have been lurking around for a while, and noticed that location trend. Anyways, ULEWS cool video. Did you use a GoPro? Looks like a beautiful area.

• Premium Member
Is everyone here from the west coast? Just curious! I have been lurking around for a while, and noticed that location trend. Anyways, ULEWS cool video. Did you use a GoPro? Looks like a beautiful area.
It was an older gopro. I was being chased/filmed by an fz-09. Also a fast bike. Only the guys currently riding are from the left Coast.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest eatpasta
Just an FYI, those roads are right here in So. Cal. I recognize the turns, that is Spunky Canyon. Very technical and occasionally dirty, but fun. 
Here is a terrible low res video on that road with yours truly:
[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIlN0OfdrmM#t=29]

Yeah that a great area to ride.  Nice to see Little T and spunky represented there complete with Spunky Resivour just out of frame.  Bouquet is one of all my time favorites as well.
    We have desert races just over the hill there too - so there is all kinds of riding around up there. 

Guest eatpasta
as far as the comparo goes, it looks like the FJ is surprising a lot of people. From their numbers it only looks about 10 hp down from the 1 liter Kawi which isnt bad at all considering how much they were raving about the motor.....

I found their dyno numbers were low for all 4 bikes compared to other tests I've seen. However,as long as they are all tested on the same dyno, its a fair and valid result. Pretty impressive, this CP3 mill!
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Archived