Hand bar raiser... Recommendation?

Hi, I took my bike for an on road ride, after 2 or 3 months of not using it. Have had my FJ-09 2016 for about a year now.
I have adapted myself to the bike ergonomics ; I'm 1.91mts... And need to bend more my legs, and I feel my torso bends a bit to the front. So I was thinking on handbar raisers... Yamaha local dealer offers 2, 3 and 4 inch sizes. I know that ideally, 3 or 4 woukd be good, yet I don't want to have issues with cables nor have them very tense. What would be your recommendation, in case you have adapted raisers ?

I have my OEM risers flipped forward for a more aggressive posture... so no help here.

Anyone with risers? What are yours set at?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I'll throw my limited experience with risers out there, maybe it'll help you...

I grabbed a set of 2" Rox risers off the forum here. The seller mentioned no changes to the stock cables were necessary but based on what I've read here I thought a few minor adjustments were probably required. It wasn't even close. I guess you could make it work by re-routing the cables but in my opinion they would be dangerously too tight. Not to mention you'd have to take the tank off to re-route the throttle (not a big deal but more work than I wanted to put into it at the time). As far as I'm concerned, aftermarket longer cables are absolutely necessary. I put them back in the box and said forget it.

1" risers might be do-able with stock cables. I might try again if I can find some 1" risers for cheap.

• Supporting Member
So I was thinking on handbar raisers... Yamaha local dealer offers 2, 3 and 4 inch sizes. I know that ideally, 3 or 4 woukd be good, yet I don't want to have issues with cables nor have them very tense.

Yamaha offers up to an additional 4" rise?  I cant imagine that ANY of the cables would work with that much of a difference.  As a reference, the SW Motech or Helibar risers are 1" rise.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I got the Heilbars for my '15 FJ-09. Brought them up and inch & back an inch. So far, I like them better than the stock bar position but I'm still 'just on the border' between sitting upright and leaning forward. I can sit upright w/ my arms slightly bent but it doesn't take long to be leaning slightly forward again. I didn't have any issues w/ the cables as the instructions have you remove the brake line holder & re-attach it w/ a longer one.

• Thumbsup 1

Thank you all. It seems then that maybe 1" at the most, without doing complex cable modifications ... But maybe I'd not feel the position enhancement I'm looking for,with only 1"

Im thinking then living the bike like this... The only problem will be to stop a bit more often to rest, on long trips

• 2 years later...

As with anything from PRC, how closely the manufacturing is watched is key.
The land of china is great for low cost labor, but damn do they try to sneak shit materials and cut corners any chance they get.

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, smeller said:

whats peoples view on some cheap riseres from China? It's just a block of aluminum.. 

I would agree with you, for this application its just a block of aluminum - you should be fine.  If it was a part that had hinges or moving parts I would take @kilo3's recommendation and carefully inspect the construction quality. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

24 minutes ago, Howton said:

Might not be a bad idea to switch the bolts with a higher grade.

I did this, switched to marine grade stainless fixings for the riser and reused the OEM for the lower attachment.

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 1 month later...

After a month waiting for it to arrive I have now installed the china riser. I was positively surprised by the quality, only negative is that the anodizing is a different shade. I discovered that one of the long stock handlebar risers was loose but could not find any info on a recall in europe only in the US.

image.png.1973d13f481a41e8e80bba9e19b51e2d.png

If you still have the factory handle bar and it's length bothers you like me change it.

I have Rizoma MA009 bars with 1/2 in cut off each end and moto pumps bar risers.

With the bars shorter it raises your body since your hands are closer together and also gives more room for the cables and wires. I've got great slack now with the OEM cables in stock position. 

Edited by peteinpa

• 2 months later...

I just installed a set of Moto Pump handlebar risers.....fit great with great instructions.  I also raised the fork tubes about 15mm to quicken the steering.  USA manufactured in NY with quick shipping and a fair price.  

Edited by whisperquiet