Search for the "Best" Sport Touring gloves

• Supporting Member
I've decided to get the Held Airsteam II gloves.

Those look like great gloves, I hope they work well for you, I have never heard a bad thing about Held gloves.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
@panther6834 - It sounds to me like you are searching for the unicorn of gloves... likely doesn't exist. 
With the micro-climates in the North Bay (or elsewhere), you would need a pair of magic gloves to be comfortable in the 30+ degree temp swings you can see in a single days ride. I get by with one pair for most of my riding - accepting that if I'm in Napa I may sweat a little, and when at the beach I may have to turn on the heated grips.

Good luck with your search and if you do find the unicorn, please let us know. smiley.png

Well, the "unicorn l has been found henchman...and, to betoney, it's one pair, not two. Technically, it's two items, but still a single pair of gloves. First, to solve the "additional padding, to reduce/eliminate vibration, this should be accomplished through the use of a pair of Grip Puppies (I'll update once they arrive, and are installed). They are made of a foam rubber, look similar to replacement grips, and install over the actual bar grips. As for meeting all my other retirement, and almost all my "preferred" points, this is accomplished through a pair of Held Air n Dry gloves. However, since I don't have any real need for waterproof gloves, I've decided to get the Held Airsteam II gloves.
Congratulations on finding and sharing what you believe to be the elusive, but not extinct unicorn of gloves. Never owned any, but those look like a great pair of gloves. 
Grip Puppies - had them on my bike almost since day one, only good things to say about those!

Installed the Grip puppies today...along with front axle sliders, rear swing arm spools, and the Yamaha GYTR Quick-Shift. Anyway, regarding the Grip puppies, they make a HUGE difference. I completely understand why those who have been using them for a while love them so much. As for the search to find ANY shop with available size 9 Held Air Stream II gloves, after searching the internet, including shops in Europe, I finally came upon a possibility...across the country, all the way on the East Coast. I called them, and...they had a single pair of size 9...Hallelujah. If they didn't get shipped by the end of today, they should be on their way to me tomorrow. Can't wait...although I have no choice.

Installed the Grip puppies today...along with front axle sliders, rear swing arm spools, and the Yamaha GYTR Quick-Shift. Anyway, regarding the Grip puppies, they make a HUGE difference. I completely understand why those who have been using them for a while love them so much. As for the search to find ANY shop with available size 9 Held Air Stream II gloves, after searching the internet, including shops in Europe, I finally came upon a possibility...across the country, all the way on the East Coast. I called them, and...they had a single pair of size 9...Hallelujah. If they didn't get shipped by the end of today, they should be on their way to me tomorrow. Can't wait...although I have no choice.
I have a pair of Held gloves that I've only worn a few times that are just that tiny bit too small for me. Size 9. Don't want to run afoul of the posting rules; PM me if they are something you can't live without. 
20180621_215840.jpg
Keep Asheville weird!

How much thickness does the grip puppies add? I've got large hands and find the tiny size of the grips are uncomfortable and annoying. But I don't want to reduce the effectiveness of the heated grips. Never had any issues with vibrations but would love to add some thickness.

Gloves, by the company Held, are the best damn gloves that I've been able to find, or experience. They aren't cheap, but then again, true quality never is. They pretty much have every feature that is possible in a glove. In addition, they last forever. I've got 25K miles on my current pair, and they are not even close to breaking down.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/held-air-n-dry-gloves

I've got the Grip Puppies on my bars, and I very much do love them so.  

I'll just say, being a 6'3" tall boy, I've got the big ol' F'n XL hands to match.  I also wear a size 13 shoe, and XL condoms!  Now you get the idea, eh?  

The Grip Puppies add the perfect amount of enlargement and cushion. Totally comfortable!  

Grip Puppies for life, baby!

• Premium Member
How much thickness does the grip puppies add? I've got large hands and find the tiny size of the grips are uncomfortable and annoying. But I don't want to reduce the effectiveness of the heated grips. Never had any issues with vibrations but would love to add some thickness.
The puppies add just the right amount of thickness and comfort. I find that it is easier to keep a smooth consistent throttle with less fatigue, and the heated grips are not hindered in any way. 
Just put 'em on and enjoy!

I have a pair of Held gloves that I've only worn a few times that are just that tiny bit too small for me. Size 9. Don't want to run afoul of the posting rules; PM me if they are something you can't live without. 

20180621_215840.jpg

Thanks for the offer, but the pair I mentioned not only already shipped, but will be delivered on Tuesday.

I've got the Grip Puppies on my bars, and I very much do love them so.   
I'll just say, being a 6'3" tall boy, I've got the big ol' F'n XL hands to match.  I also wear a size 13 shoe, and XL condoms!  Now you get the idea, eh?  

The Grip Puppies add the perfect amount of enlargement and cushion. Totally comfortable!  

Grip Puppies for life, baby!
Just make sure that you buy the genuine Grip Puppies (ex UK, IIRC) as some knock-offs similarly named are so thin that you can see through them when held up to the light!   GPs are always my #1 farkle to any new bike I've bought over many recent years.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't actually measured the diameter, but I'd estimate they add approximately 0.25".  I realize that might sound like a lot, and I will admit that getting used to them took a little while, but they are VERY well worth it.  Honestly, I didn't think they could eliminate vibration as much as they do.  At $20, they're an incredible value.  Heck, at $30 they'd still be an outstanding deal, considering what they do. 

On a separate note, I have an update regarding the Held Air Stream II gloves.  When they arrived, I tried on the right glove first, and it fit perfectly.  Unfortunately, while the left glove also fit perfectly, I discovered a hole in the material on the ring finger, between the ring & middle fingers.  So, I've returned them for a full refund.  Thankfully, during my search for the "best 4-season mesh jacket" (that would be SF Bay Area seasons, which would equate to 2-3 seasons for most of the rest of the U.S.), I came across another pair that should prove equally good - Klim Badlands Aero Pro Short Glove.  Yes, I realize these are mostly leather, but that leather is goat skin, which is lighter, & more flexible, plus they are also HIGHLY ventilated.  If they don't work out, I can always return them...plus, around that same time, Revzilla should be getting the Held Air Stream II gloves back in stock.  On the other hand, if the Klim gloves work as I'm hoping, they'll go great with the new Klim Induction jacket, and Klim Mojave pants I just ordered...from Revzilla, naturally.

• 4 weeks later...
I have an “interesting” update regarding my “search for the best sport-touring gloves”. Initially, I narrowed down the possibilities to the Held Air Stream II…although obtaining them in my size (9 or 10, wasn’t certain) was initially impossible, as those two sizes were out-of-stock worldwide. Since all retailers were reporting them back in stock in either late-July, or early-August, I decided to go with an alternate, recommended by one of the sales people at my local Cycle Gear (he also has an “easily overheated” problem)…in this case, the Klim Badlands Aero Pro. Before they arrived, I received notice from Revzilla that the size 10 Air Stream II gloves were back in-stock…so, I ordered them as well, figuring I could test both, keep the best one, and return the other.

Well, I haven’t had an opportunity to try them in overly-warm weather yet, but I have tested both pair in weather as warm as 86, and as cool as 60. In testing, I wore one of each for the first half of the ride, and then the opposite hands for the second half. I won’t go into a point-by-point comparison (those reading this can do so on their own), but, with the exception of one being a short glove, & the other being a gauntlet, and the knuckle protection design, the two pair are close enough (for government work…LOL) to being the same.

For those of you who live in more temperate climates (and never/rarely ride in the rain), such as the South, Southwest, or Southern California regions…or, for those who, like myself, have a serious “overheating” problem…the Klim Badlands Aero Pro might be the better option, as they have considerably more airflow. That’s not to say that the Held Air Stream II gloves don’t have a lot of airflow…they do, just less than the Klim gloves. For those who live in warm areas, but areas with slightly lower year-round average temperatures than the three previously-mentioned regions, the Held gloves might serve you better. For me, either pair would work for year-round riding…my hands never got cold with either pair, even when the temp dipped down to 60 degrees, and both provided plenty of airflow. As much as I like the Held gloves (my original “winner”), I discovered that I don’t care as much for the gauntlet style as I thought I would. Even so, I am going to keep them as a “backup” pair (plus, once I order/receive my Motoport Kevlar Mesh jacket, maybe the gauntlet-style Held gloves might feel better). But, for now, the Klim Badlands Areo Pro are my “best sport-touring gloves for year-round riding”. The end.

• 3 weeks later...
Aero stitch competition elkskin roper in natural. Wayyyy cooler than my old black vented gloves, warmer in cool weather, wind and water resistant and incredibly comfortable. Since I got a pair I have been preaching their greatness to everyone I know and they all are shocked at how great they are. Only $70 and made in Murca! Made out of elk so not leather, soft as butter, no damage from water way more abrasion resistant than leather.

Archived