visor cleaner

fj09newbie

so on my HJC rpha 70 ST, I have the pin lock visor on as well, and wanted to know the best product to use to clean both.  I have heard that it can't contain ammonia, but wanted to check with people I am sure have cleaned these.
I bought a HJC 70 St this season also, pretty nice looking helmet. Do you find it loud?
yes it is a little loud.  at first it didn't vent well either from what I could tell, but it seems a bit better now.  not sure what changed.  I do like the helmet except for that.  liked the price point and still had the safety issues I wanted with carbon, as well as the emergency release cheek pads.

• 6 months later...

I'm not sure why nobody uses these. Inevitably when bug weather starts and I go out for a ride, I get hit with a bug right in the middle of my visor within the 1st 2 minutes. A dealer got them as a sample and gave them to me. these things are great. Really cleans your visor without leaving scratches or residue. They're nice and compact. I highly recommend them.

https://www.amazon.com/Wipes-Re-sealable-Easily-Motorcycle-Removal/dp/B00US1QJ9C

I carry a tiny pack of 12 'Wet Ones', or similar, plus a tiny spray-pump bottle of Windex solution.   I too hate riding with a buggy visor!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Just use water and a tiny bit of soap. Wet the visor, leave it a couple of mins so that all the stains loosen and just wipe it off. The sprays work well but really aren't necessary. The main point to remember is to not try and wipe it off immediately.

I replace my visors once a year... I use the window cleaner tool the gas stations each fill up... as for my inner sun visor, I use baby wipes...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member

I use Walgreen's alchohol prep pads.  They're small and individually packaged ($4.19 for a box of 200) so they're easy to toss a few in a pocket before a ride and works perfect for mid day breaks and rest stops for a quick cleaning.

If rain is in the forecast and for general commuting, I use the Nikwax visor treatment and it works amazingly well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I see a number of folks referencing Nikwax. Is it simply a hydrophobic treatment much like rain-ex, but safe for a visor? Does it have any anti-fog uses if applied to the inside of the visor? I realize the pinlock system is probably best for this, but sadly that's not an option right now.

Nikwax is a hydrophobic treatment, but is different to rainex. Rainex goes on clear and you just polish it, as far as I can tell it must be silicone based. Nikwax is a wax emulsion so goes on milky and is best left to dry a bit before you buff clear. 

I prefer Nikwax, but try to leave it on a while otherwise you’re just wiping it straight back off again.

I would imagine it works just as well for the inside of the visor. Another trick to try is to apply a tiny bit of hair conditioner and then buff that clear. Conditioners contain cationic surfactants and they stop big droplet formation, works really well on stopping bathroom mirrors from steaming up too.

Can you not get a pinlock visor for your helmet?

• Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, BBB said:

Can you not get a pinlock visor for your helmet?

I have a Sedici helmet, and last time I was in Cycle Gear, they had pinlock for other brands, but not their house brand. But you make a good point. I need to do some more research. I appreciate the detailed response, it was exactly what I needed to know.

• 1 month later...