Suspension Research

gabefzr6

I have managed to find parts diagrams for the FJ to compare to the FZ.

Rear suspension:
It looks like the linkages are the same but the shocks have different part numbers.  This could mean that they have improved the shock or just replaced it with an equally crappy one but with a different length.  Either way, I don't expect it to be good enough for me.  However, time will tell.

Forks:
The springs have different part numbers as well as the cartridges.  My assumptions are the same as above.

The Penske 8987 is what I am hoping for with the shock, but we will have to confirm the length first.

I hope that GP Suspension will be doing a cartridge kit with compression adjustment for the FJ-09, since that is the direction I am leaning.

2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good job Gabe!
Where did you find the parts # for the FJ? I looked over the weekend at Yamaha Parts.something or other and they didn't have the Fj yet. I've got a shock I'm looking to get rebuilt . If it,the FJ shock, shared the part # with the FZ: My 8981 Penske would be on it's way to Penske for a face lift.

http://shop.penskeshocks.com/8900-FORK-CARTRIDGE-KIT/
Here is another cartridge kit that might, maybe, should, would, probably will, Fit.

Good job Gabe! Where did you find the parts # for the FJ? I looked over the weekend at Yamaha Parts.something or other and they didn't have the Fj yet. I've got a shock I'm looking to get rebuilt . If it,the FJ shock, shared the part # with the FZ: My 8981 Penske would be on it's way to Penske for a face lift.

http://shop.penskeshocks.com/8900-FORK-CARTRIDGE-KIT/
Here is another cartridge kit that might, maybe, should, would, probably will, Fit.

Here is the link where I found the FJ-09(MT-09 Tracer) diagrams. 
http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/services/online-parts-catalogue/index.aspx

In the lower half of the page you will find the Parts Catalogue button.

Thank you for the Penske link.  I will either try the GP 25 mm kit or the Penske 25 mm kit for the forks.  Assuming each company produces a kit.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
You know the stock suspension is pretty well sorted. I'm sure it can be improved on, but it's good enough that it's not an urgent need as was the case with the FZ. It's not just my opinion. I think you will find that most reviews bear this out. I would call it the best stock suspension of the dozen or so bikes that I have owned.

I have heard many good reviews on the Stock suspension. But, we should ask Puddles.

Puddles went and got her FJ-09 and took right off for Baja from San Francisco, and then back to San Fran.

Whaddya say, Puddles? Did the suspension hold up ok?

20150103-095630-35790671.jpg

@puddles

I have heard many good reviews on the Stock suspension. But, we should ask Puddles. 
Puddles went and got her FJ-09 and took right off for Baja from San Francisco, and then back to San Fran.

Whaddya say, Puddles? Did the suspension hold up ok?

20150103-095630-35790671.jpg

@puddles
Hi Cruizin!  
In the corners the bike is solid- it seems planted and corners well. I really enjoyed the suspension in the corners...Although on the highway, when the road is bumpy, the bike suspension seems choppy/bouncy... it's not plush... I may play with the pre-load some...

• 1 month later...
A few articles during my research stated Yamaha increased damping by 3 X. That would explain the different part numbers. The high-speed (big bump) compression damping on this stock shock is brutal ! It seems to do well on little ripples, especially in corners.

I'm a Penske guy, Traxxion is checking length and compatibility vs. the FZ09 or if they have an application for this new bike yet. I will most likely do the 8983 as the 8981's I own do a fantastic job with little fiddling.

Subscribed to see what is found here.

I just took out the stock front (progressive) spring and replaced it with Ohlins 9N/mm (constant) spring for MT09/FZ09.   I weigh 82kg and can now get correct sag in the front (no preload required). The stock valving and oil seems to provide enough rebound damping at the moment. Will take it out to the twisty tomorrow to get a real feel of the updated front end.

I just took out the stock front (progressive) spring and replaced it with Ohlins 9N/mm (constant) spring for MT09/FZ09.   I weigh 82kg and can now get correct sag in the front (no preload required). The stock valving and oil seems to provide enough rebound damping at the moment. Will take it out to the twisty tomorrow to get a real feel of the updated front end.
Good for you!  I'll be interested to read your evaluation.  Being relatively inexpensive and potentially a big difference maker to the good, springs are my kind of upgrade.  

Coming back for a quick report after fitting the Ohlins springs. I get ~40mm sag (~30%) without running any preload so the spring rate may be a bit too heavy for rider(+gear) weighing less than 80kg. Rebound is set 10 clicks clockwise with stock oil weight and oil level. I have no idea what the stock oil weight (10W maybe) or oil level is (did not measure it. The dealer told me that there is 444mL and 431mL of oil in left and right leg, respectively).

There is noticeable improvement in handling. The front end is more planted and the wobbly feel at higher speed/while cornering is gone. Quick change in direction is crisper. The bike now dive less when braking and in a more consistent and controllable manner. I think the front could get a bit better if I play around with oil weight and level, but it is already acceptable for my type of riding (mountain road/Highway commuting). The second-hand springs plus labor cost me less than $100 USD and worth every penny.

• Premium Member
Coming back for a quick report after fitting the Ohlins springs. I get ~40mm sag (~30%) without running any preload so the spring rate may be a bit too heavy for rider(+gear) weighing less than 80kg. Rebound is set 10 clicks clockwise with stock oil weight and oil level. I have no idea what the stock oil weight (10W maybe) or oil level is (did not measure it. The dealer told me that there is 444mL and 431mL of oil in left and right leg, respectively). 
There is noticeable improvement in handling. The front end is more planted and the wobbly feel at higher speed/while cornering is gone. Quick change in direction is crisper. The bike now dive less when braking and in a more consistent and controllable manner. I think the front could get a bit better if I play around with oil weight and level, but it is already acceptable for my type of riding (mountain road/Highway commuting). The second-hand springs plus labor cost me less than $100 USD and worth every penny.

Great, now we need a How-To created and the measured length and width of the spring. Hint hint. To include measured fluid height from the top of the fork, fork oil viscosity, and anything else that might be useful. ::)

This is what I got from the Ohlins website:
Length: 300 mm
Rate N/mm: 9,0 N/mm
Position: front
Recommended oil: 01309
Oil level mm: 145
Packaging unit: pair

Can somebody with a service manual check the fork oil level for me?

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived