Suspension Research

gabefzr6

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bmidd
Was hoping to see something from Bmidd about his mods and what he thinks of them.....maybe he went on vacation...or maybe he just went for a looong ride.....
Still here and still waiting. As of last week the rear was due in any day from Penske and the forks are already fitted with the AK20's and remounted on the bike. I will call them tomorrow afternoon and see what the status is. I'm on vacation next week and would like to hit Deals Gap and the Skyway everyday next week. I will start a new thread with pictures as soon as I get it home. 

• 3 months later...
I'd like to order fork springs from Racetech but their spring selection app only shows the FZ-09, not the FJ. I am an ex-racer and ride agressively on the street and weigh 205 lbs. I would guesstimate a 1.0 kg would do the trick, but that is based on FZ specs. I don't want a race setup, but a good solid sport touring ride. Any suggestions ?

• Premium Member
I'd like to order fork springs from Racetech but their spring selection app only shows the FZ-09, not the FJ. I am an ex-racer and ride agressively on the street and weigh 205 lbs. I would guesstimate a 1.0 kg would do the trick, but that is based on FZ specs. I don't want a race setup, but a good solid sport touring ride. Any suggestions ?
I'd just call Racetech and ask them.  Most shops seem happy to answer potential customers questions.Cheers 
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
I'd just call Racetech and ask them.  Most shops seem happy to answer potential customers questions.Cheers
The forks have almost the same internals, so the FZ-09 will fit, just need different spring weights to account for the additional 50 lbs. Most are finding that the springs they buy are too stiff (can't get proper sag), so I would go with a 9,0kg or 9,5kg for your weight. I have the Andreani fork cartridges with 7,8kg springs and they are fine for my 180 lbs. I would also consider sonic springs linky. According to there spring calculator and 205 pounds with tank bag and aggressive street, the size is 1,0kg, but like I said, most find that weight to be too much. Let us know what you do and how it works out. Sonic sells the springs in sizes 9,0 through 1,0kg for the FZ-09.
FYI, for your weight and normal street type riding, the size is 9,0kg.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I'm 250# in full leather gear and about 10 less than that in textile gear and my AK20 springs are .975's. The stock springs on an FJ are .90's according to Traxxion when they tore mine down. I used to run 1.05 on my FZ1, which was about 40#'s heavier than this bike.  

• Premium Member
I weigh 175 lbs without clothes and Traxxion sent me Omni 0.975 springs based on the sticker on the box. I am an ex-racer too and told them to set the stuff up for aggressive street riding.
While I only have 200 miles on the new forks (AK-20 inserts), I think the forks are awesome. Between them and the Penske 8983 (also purchased from Traxxion Dynamics) the suspension has been transformed for me. I would trust whatever Traxxion suggests for you.
I am also digging my Parabellum flyscreen!

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
The important thing is can you get desired sag. I read about FZ-09 riders having the preload all the way loose just to get sag close with stiffer springs. That tells me the springs they chose are to stiff. If you can get spring sag, then you are golden. As and FYI, I find the Sonic spring calculator much more accurate than the RaceTech calculator. YMMV.
We need to start a spring rate vs rider weight and what sag was obtainable so others can benefit.
I am by no means a racer, so my spring settings work for me.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 2 weeks later...
Traxxion published this graph a while back: (can't find current day URL). I too recommend going at least one step weaker to get optimal street performance. 
spring%20rate.gif

I agree with that, on my FZ1's I would run a 1.05 or 1.10 spring and my AK20's are .975. They ride so nice btw!

• Premium Member
So, with the FJ running about 490 with gas and saddlebags, and me and gear running about 195, this chart verifies what my butt told me - Traxxion nailed it with the 0.975's. I really like my suspension since the changes.
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Archived