Let's talk GLOVES!

DSC_0007.jpg

The next time your at your local Stealership looking at gloves remember this post! You can NOT purchase a more all around riding glove at ANY dealership at ANY price. Go to your local Red Wing store or order online these Elite gloves from red wing. First: they are $39.95. Second: they are wind proof and comfortable to about 55°F. Third: the palm padding is the very best I've had in riding gloves over 40 years. Fourth: they are not water proof but dry VERY quickly. FIFTH: They last and are of extraordinary quality. Protection is always a consideration on a motorcycle and these may not have a hard shell knuckle protector the overall protection is second to NONE. I have ZERO special interest in Red Wing but these are my all around riding gloves, period. Florida-Alaska-Florida and not a single fray or blemish. I keep a spare set at the ready.... still have tags.

• Supporting Member
Thanks for the tip @fz1rider. Do you know what the materials are in these gloves? Looks like a ballistic nylon or similar on the back of the hands, but hard to tell on the palms and fingers... leather or some sort of synthetic maybe?

If they’re that nice, the price is certainly right.

• Premium Member
I too like the price, but I wonder how they would hold up in a slide. Would the material hold together like leather, or would the road surface chew right through them?

Hate to be the wet blanket, but if you slide down the road wearing these gloves, they'll shred like you're wearing no gloves at all. Would you touch a spinning disc grinder or belt sander wearing these?

The nerve endings in your palms and fingertips are irreplaceable...
Keep Asheville weird!

Hate to be the wet blanket, but if you slide down the road wearing these gloves, they'll shred like you're wearing no gloves at all. Would you touch a spinning disc grinder or belt sander wearing these? 
My son is an ambulance paramedic whose patch includes long stretches of Freeway (Melbourne to Geelong and Western Freeways for fellow Aussies).   He has had his fair share, or more, of scraping up wannabee racers from the tarmac.   He once showed me a pair of photos of the palms of a rider who had come off while not wearing any gloves.   
Of course, the automatic reflex is to put the hands out to cushion the fall - the palms of the rider's hands looked as if they'd been through an industrial mincing machine.   Would have taken years and untold ops and unbearable pain to restore his hands to anything like normal.   Personally, I wouldn't even ride to the end of my drive without quality leather riding gloves...
  • Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
That’s actually why I was asking about the materials. I’m pretty fanactic about my gloves (currently using Held kangaroos and Alpine Stars leather)... a couple of triple-digit get-offs during my racing days convinced me that great gloves are a wise investment.

But I could see carrying around a spare pair of gloves in the saddlebags just for convenience... random passengers, idiot friends, whatever. Depending on the material & construction, this might be an option.
  • Thumbsup 1

I've crash tested the Bilt leather gloves several times at race track speeds. They work great! Got 2 90mph crashes out of one pair. (Same corner too damnit)
  • Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

One of the features of motorcycle specific gloves is some form of wrist closure to secure the glove on your hand. If the glove slides off your hand too easily it might come off in a crash - and we are back to the unprotected hand situation. All of the work gloves I've seen (Hopot, Lowe's, etc.) slide off too easily!

After being in two crashes, I have no problem spending money on premium gloves. I ride with Held gloves. Held makes high quality gloves with strong materials such as kangaroo leather and Kevlar. 
  • Thumbsup 2

After being in two crashes, I have no problem spending money on premium gloves. I ride with Held gloves. Held makes high quality gloves with strong materials such as kangaroo leather and Kevlar. 

I have two pairs of Held gloves. Every serious rider should have a pair. Some of the best ever made.

https://www.revzilla.com/held-motorcycle-gloves?gclid=CjwKCAjw4PHZBRA-EiwAAas4Zgw9hJOmJp2yULDB0793zF9ZmXyMnkDpVSuV5szXIv4Sv9Uc2eTM9xoCQYIQAvD_BwE&kclid=770d6bc7-3d78-4ea9-b388-9450761d1b91&view_all=true

Do they come in a gauntlet? ;)

Nope, Inside the sleeve. Again, below 55°f they are useless but the best I've bought as an all around daily glove between 55 and 80. I don't mind them even in the rain since they dry very quickly. Materials are a variety of synthetic materials that wear very little even with extensive use and approved by the oil and gas industry for use in their industry. 10k+ miles and they still look like new. I'm sold primarily because of the palm padding that makes riding that much more comfortable.

Thanks for the tip @fz1rider. Do you know what the materials are in these gloves? Looks like a ballistic nylon or similar on the back of the hands, but hard to tell on the palms and fingers... leather or some sort of synthetic maybe? 
If they’re that nice, the price is certainly right.

They are a synthetic glove that is double stitched throughout, some type of rubber bonded to the back and fingers of the glove. Absolute love the palm padding, something severely lacking in most mc gloves. It seems they are designed for workers slinging tools all day outdoors. Than of course the 40 bucks is an all time bargain.

I disagree. Obviously I didn't slide in these but these gloves appear designed for workers slinging tools all day and appear of much better construction than 95% of the MC gloves I've purchased in 40 years. The fingertips on these gloves are double stitched durable synthetic that works very well with your smartphone. I doubt there are any daily mc gloves that will perform better in a slide.