Let's talk GLOVES!

Look, these are NOT racing gloves, they aren't winter gloves yet I suspect they will provide significant protection as a daily rider even in case of a slide, likely better than most leather daily riders. Go to a RedWing store and see for yourself. If your an R1 wannabe racer don't bother but this is after all an FJ-09 forum.

One of the features of motorcycle specific gloves is some form of wrist closure to secure the glove on your hand. If the glove slides off your hand too easily it might come off in a crash - and we are back to the unprotected hand situation. All of the work gloves I've seen (Hopot, Lowe's, etc.) slide off too easily!

These have again much better wrist closure than 9/10 of the MC gloves with 4" velcro straps. The fit is also much better for my xl hands with many incremental sizes. I understand the sceptics, I've ridden the same glove for almost 10k miles and still look great, fit and work well. These deserve a look.

Hate to be the wet blanket, but if you slide down the road wearing these gloves, they'll shred like you're wearing no gloves at all. Would you touch a spinning disc grinder or belt sander wearing these? 
The nerve endings in your palms and fingertips are irreplaceable...
I disagree. Obviously I didn't slide in these but these gloves appear designed for workers slinging tools all day and appear of much better construction than 95% of the MC gloves I've purchased in 40 years. The fingertips on these gloves are double stitched durable synthetic that works very well with your smartphone. I doubt there are any daily mc gloves that will perform better in a slide.
There's one way to find out... ;)
Keep Asheville weird!

• Premium Member
I think the problem is that the RedWing gloves haven't undergone any motorcycle specific testing that a motorcycle glove would have to endure. (construction workers likely wouldn't encounter a slide at speed on asphalt / concrete)

No-one here can say they wouldn't perform better or worse than a motorcycle glove, but I don't think I would want to be the initial test subject . You are of course free to keep using them, many wear far less protection than RedWing gloves. And they are certainly better than no gloves at all.

These look like a nice successor to my old Revit Curb gloves. How do they run? I'm a medium in Revits.

• 5 months later...

Have worn Held gloves for many years and found them to be some of the best gloves on the market...…..until I tried on a pair of these Racer gloves and was blown away by the quality, fit and comfort.  

http://www.racerglovesusa.com/high-racer-glove/

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 7/4/2018 at 11:25 PM, fz1rider said:

They are a synthetic glove that is double stitched throughout, some type of rubber bonded to the back and fingers of the glove. Absolute love the palm padding, something severely lacking in most mc gloves. It seems they are designed for workers slinging tools all day outdoors. Than of course the 40 bucks is an all time bargain.

All my gloves are from name brands and have full armor and all recent ones have hard palm sliders; short and full gauntlet, waterproof and summer, winter heated and not), spring, they all have to do the business.  I've never spent more the $100 USD on a pair in 10 years and I have probably a dozen and a half.  Here is my last pair had at only $39.  http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/last_chance_bargains/agv_sport/rivet_gloves.html

• Premium Member
On 12/31/2018 at 6:52 AM, johnmark101 said:

Have worn Held gloves for many years and found them to be some of the best gloves on the market...…..until I tried on a pair of these Racer gloves and was blown away by the quality, fit and comfort.  

http://www.racerglovesusa.com/high-racer-glove/

They are nice but I got 2 pair of these in my size (usually 2XL ~3XL depending on fit) in black (see the Ade 3's) for $100 Total shipped.

And they fit me like a glove...

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/last_chance_bargains/cortech/adrenaline_ii_gloves.html

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Racer Gloves. I've had several $200+ track gloves over my life but when I put these on they without a doubt, blew every other glove away! 

I'm not usually an outspoken advocate for gear but if you haven't seen/worn their gloves you should do yourself a favor and get some. My first pair were their older High Speed model which survived 3 high speed (no pun intended) get offs on the road track and countless lower speed get offs on the supermoto track before I retired them. I've since replaced them with the new model glove and also have the Mickey model which is a short gauntlet glove. 

Dont pass these up if you're in the market for gloves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 7/5/2018 at 4:02 PM, DavidS said:

I think the problem is that the RedWing gloves haven't undergone any motorcycle specific testing that a motorcycle glove would have to endure. (construction workers likely wouldn't encounter a slide at speed on asphalt / concrete)

To be fair I don't think many motorcycle gloves go through much testing either. I've had a motorcycle-specific glove (can't remember the brand) come off in a fall when the gloves got pinched between the handlebar end and the ground. Fortunately my hand didn't get crushed by the bar and it was a low-speed get off, but I was shocked how quickly the glove slipped off my hand. 

OTOH, the worst crash I ever had was an 80mph low side while wearing leather work gloves. The gloves held up fine. 

Red Wing makes top quality work gear. My guess is these gloves are as good as many gloves at the moto shop, maybe even better than some. They're certainly better than the gloves I see 50% of riders around here wearing in summer (i.e. none).

On 7/3/2018 at 9:45 PM, chuckaduck said:

After being in two crashes, I have no problem spending money on premium gloves. I ride with Held gloves. Held makes high quality gloves with strong materials such as kangaroo leather and Kevlar. 

I've never been in a crash at speed, but I can learn from those who have.  There's some things in life that you don't have to learn the hard way...like buying good gloves.

Chris

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:56 PM, Nuckingfuts said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Racer Gloves. I've had several $200+ track gloves over my life but when I put these on they without a doubt, blew every other glove away! 

I'm not usually an outspoken advocate for gear but if you haven't seen/worn their gloves you should do yourself a favor and get some. My first pair were their older High Speed model which survived 3 high speed (no pun intended) get offs on the road track and countless lower speed get offs on the supermoto track before I retired them. I've since replaced them with the new model glove and also have the Mickey model which is a short gauntlet glove. 

Dont pass these up if you're in the market for gloves.

Scroll up this page and look at my post from three months ago.  I mentioned Racer Gloves and even posted a link.  Best gloves I have ever worn.

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.