Let's talk GLOVES!

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

Scroll up this page and look at my post from three months ago.  I mentioned Racer Gloves and even posted a link.  Best gloves I have ever worn.

Thanks for bringing these to my attention. Currently in the market for a pair to replace my aging AStars Celer gloves and I think their Grip gloves would fit the bill nicely. Going to pull the trigger on a pair soon.

On 1/18/2019 at 5:53 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

I have a pair of the glove above in black. I have 2 sets of the glove below. 1 in black and 1 in red and white. Am very happy with both.

Here is my last pair had at only $39.  http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/last_chance_bargains/agv_sport/rivet_gloves.html

Edited by tktplz

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, tktplz said:

I have a pair of the glove above in black. I have 2 sets of the glove below. 1 in black and 1 in red and white. Am very happy with both.

Here is my last pair had at only $39.  http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/last_chance_bargains/agv_sport/rivet_gloves.html

I have the rivets in black too but punched more vent holes in them and painted the metal knuckle guards black.

These are my fav short cuff gloves; I got a second pair on close out when the Mark II's came out which IMO  are  not as good...

SGS_front_black-19.jpg

Personally I like the SGS gloves by Scorpion. The overall design reminds...

6 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

A* glove quality IMO has gone way down.  The Mk1 SGS have been bullet proof...

Really?? I have ridden in a pair of Alpinestars SP8 for the last 3 years.. they are definitely worn but not more than I would have expected.  Should I look elsewhere for my next pair of gloves?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member

@duhs10 I wonder if the older A*stars gloves were better made.  I've ridden in exclusively Alpinestars gloves for years, and last year I got a pair that wore holes through the fingertips.  I got the SP8 earlier this spring and the threads holding the top leather bit on for the wrist strap just fell out in the first week.  I got it replaced under warranty at Cycle gear, and the second pair had threads starting to unravel.

I also have an Alpinestars leather jacket and gore tex boots and they've been awesome.  I think they moved glove production to cheaper factories after they started introducing the 'entry level' cheap gloves.

I tried on a pair of Dainese gloves (Carbon D1 Long) and they felt so good I paid the extra difference and have been pretty happy with them so far (about 3 months now).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on my third pair of Held Steves in 18 years.  I use these about 60% of the time depending on temperature.  They're expensive but very comfortable and look like they would do the job in most get offs.  Best of all, they're supple and don't get in the way of my feel for handlebar controls

held_steve_classic_gloves_black.jpg

Classic style meets modern materials in this glove. Its soft kangaroo...

On 7/4/2018 at 2:07 AM, Cruizin said:

I'm glad to see Held is still making serious gloves.  I have a pair I bought in 2006 after a painful get off.  They look like hell, but are still serviceable.

Been using Held Steves for many years on the street. Various of their other more armored stuff on the track. Steves aren't inexpensive but they last and the per year cost works out better than going with cheaper stuff. And, most of them can't compete with the comfort, etc. Nice range of sizes. Who doesn't love an integrated squeegee?   

You indeed can find lower end made in Asia gear from Held like any other large manufacturer. My first Held's were made in Germany. Later pairs made in Hungary with virtually no drop in quality. When they first began to do mfg outside of Europe it stirred up drama with Helmut and his wife that run Helimot, a former US distributor for Held. If you ever talk to Helmut he'll tell you all about it. Whether you want to hear it or not lol.  

While we don't seem to get much of the other products Held offers here they make a ton of stuff. Made a point of stopping at the factory store in Sonthofen when riding in the area. It even has a bar. To bring this thread full circle, one of the bits of history picked up while there is that Held was a big time work glove manufacturer back in the day :)

• 1 month later...

Held makes top quality gloves.  I have one of their one piece suits I used for track days and it is easily the most well constructed suit I have ever owned.

Barber April 2012.jpg

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 6/21/2019 at 4:01 PM, superfist said:

@duhs10 I wonder if the older A*stars gloves were better made.  I've ridden in exclusively Alpinestars gloves for years, and last year I got a pair that wore holes through the fingertips.  I got the SP8 earlier this spring and the threads holding the top leather bit on for the wrist strap just fell out in the first week.  I got it replaced under warranty at Cycle gear, and the second pair had threads starting to unravel.

I have 2 pair of A* GPX (?) right now - short and long cuff. The long cuff are holding up, the short cuff are failing just below the thumb where the velcro strap connects. This is the 2nd pair that failed in the same location.

Last long cuff wore out at a fingertip seam.

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm in the market for more gloves (like many sound like here, I'm a glove whore).  I have a pair of the original Alpinestars Celer gloves and really like them, so I Googled to see if there was another closeout for the original version.  What I did find was a Gore-Tex version that seems to only be overseas.  Has anyone seen them Stateside?  I don't necessarily need another pair of waterproof gloves, but I like the Celers so much, I'd just as soon get the Gore-Tex version.

I prefer full leather, for which I have two pairs (summer and gauntlet, for touring).  Never underestimate having purpose built gloves.  My one motorcycle accident (of which I do not recall the specifics since I only remember leaving work for lunch and then waking up in the hospital) I apparently put out both my hands to "cushion" my fall and hit the pavement hard/fast enough to pop the seams on both palms.   I don't think the gloves in the OP would have held up to that, lol.   I got back all my gear from the accident and still have/use my Icon Motorhead jacket to this day (that was back in 2005) and I'm glad I was able to examine my gear to see how well it worked (my weeks old helmet was the real star, as even though it cracked at the jaw, it saved my noggin/life).  

Edited by Butrzrulz
  • Thumbsup 1