New "Hiccup" on a 2015 FJ-09

• Premium Member
In the last few months, I have noticed a "hiccup" for lack of a better term.  I have not been able to identify a pattern of when it happens so I am reaching out to see if anyone else has experienced this and knows of a fix.  First off, the bike is a 2015 with a Mivv exhaust and 2 Wheel Dyno Works ecu flash.  Now to the problem, which started about a month and half ago.  No matter the riding conditions (hot, cool, rain, dry, etc.) the bike will "hiccup" meaning it will almost seem like the throttle is chopped and then instantly back to where you were.  It is an instant thing but noticeable as you are riding.  It has happened when the bike is warming up or 45 minutes into a ride.  It has happened when the bike is leaned in a corner and when it is straight up and down.  I have made sure to pay attention to my throttle hand so I know that it is not me letting off.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  

Side note:  I had this issue in a Jeep Wrangler when my TPS got a crack in it and moisture would make it glitch.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the last few months, I have noticed a "hiccup" for lack of a better term.  I have not been able to identify a pattern of when it happens so I am reaching out to see if anyone else has experienced this and knows of a fix.  First off, the bike is a 2015 with a Mivv exhaust and 2 Wheel Dyno Works ecu flash.  Now to the problem, which started about a month and half ago.  No matter the riding conditions (hot, cool, rain, dry, etc.) the bike will "hiccup" meaning it will almost seem like the throttle is chopped and then instantly back to where you were.  It is an instant thing but noticeable as you are riding.  It has happened when the bike is warming up or 45 minutes into a ride.  It has happened when the bike is leaned in a corner and when it is straight up and down.  I have made sure to pay attention to my throttle hand so I know that it is not me letting off.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.   
Side note:  I had this issue in a Jeep Wrangler when my TPS got a crack in it and moisture would make it glitch.
Is it happening in the 5-6k tach range? 

• Premium Member
Is it happening in the 5-6k tach range?
It does happen in that range more than others.  

Mine has a "slight hesitation" in that range (74% of the time) since new...been told its normal but im going to have it checked out when I bring in for the clutch cable update and valve job. Wish I could be of more help. I will mention the gathered thoughts of what it may be from this here forum when I drop it off.

Mine has a "slight hesitation" in that range (74% of the time) since new...been told its normal but im going to have it checked out when I bring in for the clutch cable update and valve job. Wish I could be of more help. I will mention the gathered thoughts of what it may be from this here forum when I drop it off.
Has yours been flashed by 2WDW? 

No on the 2wFlash. I have block off plates along with the Kev mod 02 controller installed. The combo SEEMs to have tamed it down a bit but its still there (did they help, hhhhmmmmm, good quesiton). Also, I am running a 2Bros exhaust system. I will add its a very minor annoyance in STD mode but much more pronounced in A mode.

For both of you that claim to be experiencing this issue and for the purposes of data collection:

Have you checked the gap on your spark plugs?

How many miles on the bike?

Have you ever done a Throttle Body Sync? How long ago?

When did the issue first occur?

• Premium Member
For both of you that claim to be experiencing this issue and for the purposes of data collection: 

I have not checked the spark plug gap. I have 6200 miles on the bike. Have not done a throttle body sync. Issue first started about a month and a half ago (around 5000 miles).

Spark plug gap good, 14.9k miles, no TB syc done (will do with valve job) and since new.

I would suggest to you both to see if a TBS fixes your problems, and I would definitely recommend not waiting until the valve job. Yamaha says it should be done every 4K miles. While that is probably a bit excessive, I check by throttle body sync at least every 6-8 K. It only takes 45 minutes while drinking a cold one in your garage. Lots of DIY videos out there on the subject.

I had one cylinder considerably out of sync after the break in 600 miles, so if you have never done one that could maybe be causing some sort of misfire on occasion.

• Premium Member
Thank you.  I will check that and test the TPS this weekend to see if either of those are causing my issue.  

• Premium Member
Also check for any stored codes (15-16 models) and relay that info here.  
Have you adjusted the TPS or APS ever in the bike’s past?

-Skip
No adjustments.  I will check for codes and update.