New "Hiccup" on a 2015 FJ-09

Also check for any stored codes (15-16 models) and relay that info here.  
Have you adjusted the TPS or APS ever in the bike’s past?

-Skip
No adjustments.  I will check for codes and update.

Ok thanks for the info.

As others have mentioned, I would perform the TB sync. Especially as you mentioned it has never been done, and this “stumble” has only recently started happening.

Did you happen to mess with the battery in any way at 5k miles? Verify both connections are tight, and that you didn’t accidentally tighten the (red) positive side and pinch the red rubber cover in the process. That would cause intermittent battery contact which would cause the “stumble” you have described.

Other possibilities off the top of my head: a bad area in the reflash map that you’ve never noticed before. Check with TWDW to see if there might be an update to the flash (weather/altitude/fuel changes make this noticeable). You could also unplug the O2 modifier to see if that makes it WORSE as a troubleshooting technique. Btw I thought TWDW bypassed they closed loop making te Kev-mod unnecessary?
A Loose electrical connector somewhere in the FI system (fuel pump, injector, etc).
Bad fuel would do this (completely drain and fill the tank).

TPS/APS issues may be hard to detect via diag mode until it gets more severe. Proper testing would require a good VOM to pick up a slight dead spot that may have developed in the wiper of the TPS.

HTH and keep us posted.

-Skip

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
Pulled the codes and had the following:

My throttle body sync tool should be here by Tuesday, so next weekend, I will be checking that and making and adjustments that might be needed.  

• Premium Member
Battery connections are tight. 

Bad gas was my first thought as we were up in the mountains.  Have cleared out the gas and refilled with fresh and that didn't help it. 

I will check with 2WDW about any updates to the flash. 

Thank you all for the information.  I will be checking everything until the issue is resolved and I will post the resolution.  

89 is Yamaha diagnostic tool connection error.

That’s a lot of errors @batgirl !!

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
89 is Yamaha diagnostic tool connection error. 
That’s a lot of errors @batgirl !!
I am guessing that the ecu flash may have caused some of them.  The sidestand switch is my fault.  

Thanks for the update.
I wouldn’t stress over any of these codes at the moment until they have been cleared, and reappear. There’s too many to even begin to troubleshoot which one might or might not be the cause of your complaint.

The code 19 for the Sidestand Switch is a commonly seen one that pops up through no fault of the rider’s.

Get them cleared out (and no, I don’t believe disconnecting the battery works anymore, use channel 61), ride the bike some more and get the symptom to occur (multiple occurrences is better) and recheck for codes.

HTH, Skip

• Premium Member
The sidestand was me.  I had gotten in the habit of stopping and putting it down before shutting off the bike.  I have broken that habit.  

I will get them reset and ride it all I can.  Thank you. 

• Premium Member
Today's update:

I reset the codes yesterday afternoon and rode the bike home (32 miles). Only 1 *hiccup*. Temp was 93 and low (for Georgia) humidity. This morning, a little more humid and 72, had some *hiccups* but no codes when I got to work. If there are any this afternoon, I will check when I get home. Also, this morning, when it did have issues, it was in the 4-5k range on RPM.

• Premium Member
Throttle body sync has been completed. I have not been able to ride a lot since resetting codes and syncing, but I have been out a little. No issues thus far. I will continue to monitor and update.

Thank you again to everyone that replied. Hopefully, this will correct the issue.

Throttle body sync has been completed. I have not been able to ride a lot since resetting codes and syncing, but I have been out a little. No issues thus far. I will continue to monitor and update.  
Thank you again to everyone that replied. Hopefully, this will correct the issue.
How far out of sync were the throttle bodies?

Check the Sidestand switch? (Similar effects noted way long ago on my 1981 Yamaha XJ650, and this April on a Ducati Multistrada 1200. ) Can't hurt to check - switch on tight? On centerstand, runs in gear, dies when sidestand deployed. (Keep your mitts away from any moving parts!)