Seattle to Pike's Peak and back.

roderunner

• Supporting Member
Aside from ALOT of interstate travel, which I understand due to time restraints, it still looks like an awesome trip.

Nice photos, thanks for sharing.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Overall route...it was a great trip and a great learning experience.  I put about 3,300 miles on over 10 days and I liked not having to ride too many miles per day (our range was around 300 to 435 miles per day with average around 330mi).  The FJ-09 did great but certainly I could improve her touring capability with an improved seat and windscreen.  Since most of my riding is commuting the bike is outstanding for that task as is.  I'm not in a hurry to spend more money on this motorcycling hobby but will probably at least upgrade the seat along the way.

I will definitely have more trips to plan maybe Pacific Coast, Canadian Rockies, Glacier National Park, Sierra Nevada Mountains.  I enjoy reading everyone's ride reports and getting ideas for the next trip or just living vicariously through other people's adventures.  Thanks to all for the comments, suggestions, and the shared enthusiasm for our FJ-09s.

Map_Overall.png

Aside from ALOT of interstate travel, which I understand due to time restraints, it still looks like an awesome trip.  
Nice photos, thanks for sharing.
Yeah, the interstates helped covering distance, but by far the most pleasant riding was off the interstates.  In the future I would be more inclined to skip the interstate even if it meant more miles per day.  Thanks for all the thoughtful feedback!  

Great report and thanks for sharing. Really liked the pics of the salt flats.
Thanks! 
Even though it seems like we took tons of pictures I'm glad we took the time.  I wish we would have stopped a few more places for pictures actually.

• Supporting Member
The FJ-09 did great but certainly I could improve her touring capability with an improved seat and windscreen.  Since most of my riding is commuting the bike is outstanding for that task as is.  I'm not in a hurry to spend more money on this motorcycling hobby but will probably at least upgrade the seat along the way. 

Since you are in the Seattle area, do yourself a favor and contact Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston.  He made me a custom seat last Fall and I have about 13,000 miles on it so far and love it.

The FJ-09 did great but certainly I could improve her touring capability with an improved seat and windscreen.  Since most of my riding is commuting the bike is outstanding for that task as is.  I'm not in a hurry to spend more money on this motorcycling hobby but will probably at least upgrade the seat along the way. 

Since you are in the Seattle area, do yourself and contact Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston.  He made me a custom seat last Fall and I have about 13,000 miles on it so far and love it.

Thanks for the info, I checked the website and it looks impressive.  I have been looking for a reason to take my bike on a ferry ride, this may be it.  I will certainly consider this when I think I can get approval from the CFO.  :-) 
How do you think it would compare to buying a Corbin seat in terms of price and quality?  I imagine having it custom made for me could be a big advantage.  Did you reuse the factory material?  I would think not but I'm curious.  Also, did they reinforce the plastic base?  It seems overly flexible to me.

You probably have a write-up on this (which I will go search for) so feel free to disregard any questions you may have already answered.

• Supporting Member
Found answers to most of my questions here https://fj-09.org/thread/1567/richs-custom-seat
After the initial build, you can bring it back in for tweaking and fine tuning free for one full year. 
I have been back a few times to have the width altered and slightly re-shaped, no questions asked. 

• 6 months later...

Archived