Windshield for new 900 GT 2018

vic

Hi

I love new Tracer 900GT but not very happy with the screen.

The up/down adjustment seems to have little effect, and at any speed over about 60mph it’s very noisy. 

I’ve been looking around and can’t seem to find a replacement screen for the 2018 Tracers, just the older 2015/17 models.

Does anyone know of any?

Thanks

Vic

• Supporting Member
At least here in the US, most places dont even have the new bike yet so there hasn't been any R&D.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I've ordered ermax sport screen which is even smaller than original.
I'll report here my observations.

I know it will be more windy, but maybe the air flow around the helmet will be less turbulent and annoying.

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current

Last week I ordered the MRA touring with varioscreen. https://www.mrashop.de/com/model-based-products/yamaha/tracer-900-gt/bj-18/7196/tracer-900/gt-variotouringscreen-vtm-2018 .

Have not arrived yet.

I agree with the original one being noisy and buffeting so much. And the up/down function almost does nothing. I tested it yesterday. Difference from low to high is only a couple of inches. So instead of hitting middle of helmet visor, it hits top of visor.

• 2 weeks later...
Another GT900 owner joining the search for an improved screen here......

Really looking forward to any information on the MRA screen when it arrives as I've used their screens in the past.

Here in the UK one of my local shops told me that Puig, are still developing their screen, but it should be available next month (August 18).

I couldn't see an appropriate 'Board' to post on, but could we have a GT900 sub board please Moderators? As many have said as this is a new model manufacturers haven't yet launched their aftermarket goodies yet. I know that there are quite a few GT900 owners who would love to share new/ reviews on GT900 accessories as they become available.

Please can we have a new sub section for the GT900?

The only aftermarket I have fitted is the R&G front fender extender (as the mudguard has the same profile as the previous FJ09 models).

Cheers

Steve 

I just received my MRA touring screen!
IMG_0056.jpg

As you can see it's just slightly wider and only a little bit taller than the original one.

The handlebar can still be turned completely to both sides without the handguard hitting the screen.

The MRA screen has another form than the original one. Where the Yamaha is flat like a board, the MRA has a curve to it.

I have only ridden about 100km with the screen but so far it's better than the one from Yamaha. I have ridden on 50/80/110/130 km per hour roads and the low setting for the screen fits fine up till 110km/h, and the tall one makes 130km/h more tolerable.

The buffering do not appear to be a problem any more. The wind still hits my upper shoulders and face (depending on low/high setting) but I find it tolerable now. Before it would be so loud I would have ringing ears after a drive. I use earplugs all the time due to tinnitus. I don't want to make it any worse.

I think that I still want to try a small racing screen, maybe from PUIG.. but for now, and for the upcoming trips, the MRA will suffice.

By the way, the varioscreen is quite useless. I haven't found a setting where I feel like it works. I drive with it in low/flat setting now and it seems to work better. Maybe it's better than riding without one but who knows.. I'm not going to take it off just to see :)

Many thanks for posting you initial thoughts on the MRA screen, and especially the photo showing the size difference.

Apologies if I've missed it in an earlier post but what height are you? I'm short, so would be interested to know your height (probably taller than me at 5'7") and if so if you 'scootch down' to my height does it improve the wind buffeting situation?

Cheers

Steve

I too received my MRA touring screen this week. (Not Vario)

Only  managed a shortish ride with it, but a definite improvement over the stock screen.

Less buffeting at higher speeds and much quieter. I’m 5ft6in and the height settings don’t seem to make a huge difference, but still getting enough air to stay cooler in the hot weather we’re enjoying in the UK.

Cosmetically it looks much nicer on my black bike in grey smoke.

Vic

PS I second the vote for a dedicated 900 GT sub section!

Vic,

Now we HAVE to meet up! I really, really, want to see how the new screen looks/ works before I take the plunge!

We'll have to find a mid point between Luton and wherever it is you are on Cambs (I can't remember)

Cheers
Steve

New GT owner in the states here as of yesterday! A new screen is on my top list of accessories. Has anyone tried the OEM touring screen? I had one on my FJR and it was leaps and bounds better than stock, I think it was made by national cycle to boot.

A GT sub section would be beneficial.
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

Hi Vic,

Baldock Services would be fine, although if you feel like meeting for a brekkie then may I suggest the cafe at Old Warden Aerodrome? (About the same distance from you).

I'm about this coming Sat morning if you are free?

Cheers

Steve