Windshield for new 900 GT 2018

vic

@tadv Fitting the 'stiffer' rubber mounts/ grommets has helped cut down the shakes, but with the added height/weight  you're never going to eliminate it unfortunately. The only time it bothers me slightly is on rough/potholed roads as the screen shakes and occasionally you get a knocking sound but I'm nitpicking. 

The Puig screen is 4.5 inches taller that the oem, with the foil raised the difference in height is 6 inches.

No ill effect on handling at any speeds. although it gets windy and noisy again at high speed (as you'd probably expect), my view is that it is a definite improvement (very definite) but it isn't a cure-all, although it's probably the closest you'll get.

I've found the best position for the foil isn't actually in the highest position, it works best for me at about 3/4 of it's height but in a position where the 'gap' between foil surface and windscreen surface is greatest. (Hope that makes sense?) Of course your results may differ.

You are more than welcome to pop over the pond and give it a try 😀 🤣 😀

Cheers

Steve

• Thumbsup 1

Hey Steve - Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it! You're a bit shorter than me, but at that screen height, I should be covered! And the foil should give me something to play with. And yeah I get what you're saying about the foil. I had a foil on my VStrom 650 Adventure & it worked really well for me. I look forward to an improved ride soon. Enjoy yours! Cheers!

I had a Madstad on my Concours....best thing since sliced bread......you can adjust it up and down, and change the tilt also....

very high quality and they have a I-don't-like-it return option...costs you 15%, but at least they will take it back.....

their website has good instructions on how to measure yourself to get the right one to start with, and they come with

complete installation instructions, including how to set the angle up to start with....very good shield and I would buy again

if I needed one...I don't, as the stock one is fine for me.

• Thumbsup 2

BugsinTeeth........

"Peace is that time when everyone stands around reloading" . . . . Thomas Jefferson

Hey Bugs - I did take a peek at that Madstad site. It looks a little pricey. I suppose that's because it comes with its own mount, right? But I suppose if it is a sturdier mount than the OEM (taller screens seem to create more shake on it), & with added adjustability, it could be worth it. I do like the ability to return it if its a bust for me. Thanks for your help. Will take another look at it.

• 2 months later...
On 12/9/2019 at 1:13 PM, tadv said:

Hey Bugs - I did take a peek at that Madstad site. It looks a little pricey. I suppose that's because it comes with its own mount, right? But I suppose if it is a sturdier mount than the OEM (taller screens seem to create more shake on it), & with added adjustability, it could be worth it. I do like the ability to return it if its a bust for me. Thanks for your help. Will take another look at it.

it is def worth it. get it.

• 1 month later...

What quaxum said.  I tried the Puig screen first and returned it sharpish.  It flexed like crazy and acted like a sail in crosswinds, and I didn't find it any better than stock in the turbulence department (YMMV of course).  I replaced it with the 22" Madstad and couldn't be happier.  I was always skeptical about their rave reviews but now I'm sold.  Rock solid and peaceful airflow nirvana.  The GPS mount is a nice added bonus.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
43 minutes ago, mingo said:

Puig has an electrically adjustable windscreen carrying mechanism that looks very easy to install, I'd get one but I suspect it's very expensive:

It seems quite scarce, there are posts on here from 3 years ago claiming it should be released 'soon'.  🤷‍♀️  The only place I could even find it listed was in Europe.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
13 minutes ago, littlebruv said:

is it just an expensive accessory that is really a must have because you don't like using manual screen device

EXACTLY,- just like electric windows in any vehicle.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, littlebruv said:

is it just an expensive accessory that is really a must have because you don't like using manual screen device

That adds unnecessary weight, complexity and how long are replacement parts going to be around.

He who dies with the most toys wins.