Windshield for new 900 GT 2018

vic

I wonder why they re-designed the shorty for the GT
Kidna looks like a typical CalSci "Function over form" mentality. It's a tombstone but offers more protection. At least that's my guess.

'15 FJ09

I wonder why they re-designed the shorty for the GT
Kidna looks like a typical CalSci "Function over form" mentality. It's a tombstone but offers more protection. At least that's my guess.
My thoughts exactly, I'm hoping that the Puig screen is as effective 'cos it certainly looks a lot better (can't wait 'til the end of September when I can get my hands on one). 
Cheers
Steve

My thoughts exactly, I'm hoping that the Puig screen is as effective 'cos it certainly looks a lot better (can't wait 'til the end of September when I can get my hands on one). 
Cheers
Steve
Personally I think the CalSCI looks better than the puig screen. JMHO. Not like either of them will win a beauty contest though :). I'm putting up my review of the tall CalSCI in a moment. 
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

My body specs are as follows, 5'11" with a 29" inseam.

So I fitted the CalSCI large screen on the Tracer last night and took it out for a ride this morning on my way into work. I'm somewhat glad that I fitted the tall screen as this morning's ride was weirdly a bit chilly. Without the tall screen on I probably would have sought my jacket liner. If some of you recall my ride into work is about 40 miles of highway with about 20 miles of backroads. My impressions so far are as follows.

The first thing I noticed after mounting the windshield is that my mirrors hit and needed to be adjusted. I had the stalks slightly moved forward to give a bit better clearance behind me. I had to place the stalks about 1/2" backward and readjust the mirrors and they seem to be just as good for my body type.

In the down position of the TracerGT the CALSCI is just a little less noisy than stock when the stock is fully extended. The turbulence isn't all that better either in comparison to stock. When placing the CALSCI in the upward position the noise is nearly non-existent. There is some turbulence present, however it is not horrible and today was an extraordinarily windy day in comparison to most normal days. Typically I ride around 80mph on the highway and that's when the turbulence is noticeable. Around 65 or so things are pretty relaxed and smooth. In fairness I have a Bell helmet that wasn't all that expensive so that could also be the cause of some of the turbulence....I doubt they did much aerodynamic testing to ensure that it was as smooth and as quiet as possible for the 200 dollar affixed price tag attached.

With that said, overall I believe the tall screen offers a ton more protection than the stock screen and even the OEM touring screen. It's again IMO not perfect but that could be helmet related, it is however very tolerable. It'll be interesting to see how the TracerGT windshield mount holds up over time with such a large screen attached. I did notice on the highway that there was quite a bit of movement of the screen at speed. All in all I think CalSCI did a great job on the screen. I am curious to see if taking out the center cut hole helps or hurts the situation. That'll be my next test that I'm going to attempt to determine using some masking tape. I have a feeling that it might actually help turbulence at speed in my specific instance. Attached are some pictures of the setup.

y4mBi7z5retbiodGgcijkRfk0ww6lDtnCoISEjOh3DMpNKo3DWdqoo4oSvWktgD4sjwLvoooCMYH3QPCAt7Z7rSym7pBV9XyQOgS7yIWyi721SDI62_VuJ__sswA2zpkyLh9dPA4FZ_3Ao1Y2u7DC7l7wGdgmUAck_OeBZPtwioyxi21yiiiGNaRGlv-7RXpx4-ZQXVBKngOmqPuiPFybMMIQ?width=512&height=1024&cropmode=none

y4mBi7z5retbiodGgcijkRfk0ww6lDtnCoISEjOh3DMpNKo3DWdqoo4oSvWktgD4sjwLvoooCMYH3QPCAt7Z7rSym7pBV9XyQOgS7yIWyi721SDI62_VuJ__sswA2zpkyLh9dPA4FZ_3Ao1Y2u7DC7l7wGdgmUAck_OeBZPtwioyxi21yiiiGNaRGlv-7RXpx4-ZQXVBKngOmqPuiPFybMMIQ?width=512&height=1024&cropmode=none

y4m61WZ9fkTQhcz0tYZ8Anad_yb7B5dnDUM48NGaj0mcXxhIMFzvBQJ_vcxxW_8uswUVbOQF5FpKOYrcBKgdXn5h_6bQIxQKiOqETi4y8iS-Uy7lKTPnBB_DUeeSmNV8Rh0DA4w8UUsane_d1gU5EH16fPOjgrMu9fMhAbgRkWCnw7LOJuKM2FOhXg9Rm_h6A5TXYvSSVsyDirubod_XE4ULg?width=512&height=1024&cropmode=none

y4mxycRNa3RLiAif-vOm3GDTzsGfESs99B1KozkxZP9Q9rZM4cX_9qNyUJraQXQ9De6l-Ig0FBq-4--gYSqDkoUH2pd19ft396vX9xGwWljuThNvYIUwCU02qdgCnGpwK4ciOo7uSm2SA6bq_06PF-e7qh2VVh_WLnV23YbmxSFKvKt0ajcuAddBNfv0koQSiUHU9JVTLuf0KSIPnMfYadySw?width=512&height=1024&cropmode=none

y4myYLEyrEDhW0Y6lr-PUDkk2gdA20ly62NbSh_FJRNWjadSLS2ayy29KuQNUzfRA6u7u0TAkwVBRVwz6g_QkhXurDVFSopKOKGKUSONkmB9U4pckW-Q_c2uz6F07cpvrzxoAL6sTSJCVdKHM2nVUKXnS8Iw-FbEZB0AmIPnAoaW0ciFOf80ziGzH4irpBWXG67MA6rNJGVLOu-y2DrRgqrlw?width=512&height=1024&cropmode=none

y4mO9gP1yPimwkkFtpwtw5c9TOyyVlkgIITsYBnKh-w8tsJSBdfHxrHj4IfrR5BYdRyTihf6-X4B5RXgrtcs1DxfP7FpH-hzUuyRjSuACeUqhSSONQ_URmCbDP_EL5ubWb3JGNU3J9pLJPOznK39egxpR7T56SrFpJN1KuWFo5xl8aLY-MLO1HvdFmHiJPbWCMyWK4DHacC1n40glxGPqUsyA?width=512&height=1024&cropmode=none

In the down position of the TracerGT the CALSCI is just a little less noisy than stock when the stock is fully extended. The turbulence isn't all that better either in comparison to stock. When placing the CALSCI in the upward position the noise is nearly non-existent. There is some turbulence present, however it is not horrible and today was an extraordinarily windy day in comparison to most normal days. Typically I ride around 80mph on the highway and that's when the turbulence is noticeable. 

Do they offer an XL? It kind of sounds like you just need a slightly taller screen.

'15 FJ09

I didn't notice an XL screen offering and honestly I think if it were offered I probably wouldn't want it as then I'd most certainly be looking through the screen rather than over it. Right now the screen is about 1/2" below eye level in the extended position. 

• 2 weeks later...
Funny, just yesterday I reached out to a local puig dealer and explained that the euro 2018 and the NAS 2019 are the same bike and is it possible to order the 9725 screen? He made a few calls and says it won't be available here in the states until late November! WTF? Surely there's a way to ship one over here sooner than that.

Funny, just yesterday I reached out to a local puig dealer and explained that the euro 2018 and the NAS 2019 are the same bike and is it possible to order the 9725 screen? He made a few calls and says it won't be available here in the states until late November! WTF? Surely there's a way to ship one over here sooner than that.
That's strange. I guess they don't want your money that bad haha.

'15 FJ09

I know. You can't order direct from puig, you have to go through a certified dealer. Hey, one of you euro guys buy one and ship it to me in California!?! Wonder what the shipping would be on that?
If you order from a dealer in Yoorop, as a non-resident you'll avoid having to pay the local VAT (sales tax), which would probably more than make up for shipping to you.   VAT is currently around 19% I believe...  FWIW.   PUIG should be able/ prepared to give you some contact details for dealers over there who could help.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Well I’ve just completed a 1600 mile trip touring Germany. Rode from home in Cambridge through Holland to the Harz Region for a few days then home via Eiffel Region and Belgium through Eurotunnel and home. Very varied riding on some great roads and speeds up to 100 mph on German Autobahns.

I had bought the MRA touring screen and added the Vario spoiler before I left. I was very pleased with this combination. Very little buffeting at any speed and acceptable noise levels. Played around with screen height and adjustment of the Vario spoiler and settled on having the screen close to max height, with Vario angled a little but not at it it’s tallest setting. I’m 5ft6ins and have the low saddle option which was comfortable enough for long days in the saddle.

Bike performed beautifully. Just needs a good clean now!

Vic

Well I’ve just completed a 1600 mile trip touring Germany. Rode from home in Cambridge through Holland to the Harz Region for a few days then home via Eiffel Region and Belgium through Eurotunnel and home. Very varied riding on some great roads and speeds up to 100 mph on German Autobahns.  
I had bought the MRA touring screen and added the Vario spoiler before I left. I was very pleased with this combination. Very little buffeting at any speed and acceptable noise levels. Played around with screen height and adjustment of the Vario spoiler and settled on having the screen close to max height, with Vario angled a little but not at it it’s tallest setting. I’m 5ft6ins and have the low saddle option which was comfortable enough for long days in the saddle.

Bike performed beautifully. Just needs a good clean now!

Vic
Nice one Vic, can't wait to hear about the trip when we meet up next, glad you had a good time. 
Cheers
Steve

• Supporting Member
I installed the MRA touring windscreen in light smoke last night. I took the Tracer out for a 100mi ride today, mostly back roads 70mph or below. I must admit I'm very pleased with the reduction in wind noise and helmet buffeting. Time will tell if this is the final answer for me. At 6'3" nothing is going to block all the wind and I don't want the glass shower door look.

He who dies with the most toys wins.