Yamaha Steel rack with givi plate

Over the last 8 months I have indicated the bike is rock solid at any speed up to it's max. (US, 112mph) but i have to change that advise now.  While on a 14 day ride, first day, I was in a very nice twisting section of US 395, just south of Ukiah, Oregon.  This section of road is not new to me and I have done it many times.  I was fully loaded with FJR saddle bags at 35 - 40 pounds ea. and a small tail bag on the seat, tank bag only partly loaded.
*snip* 
Glad you're ok, close-to-tank slappers are pretty scary, esp at speed. BTDT and broke my collarbone during a wreck because of it.

Quick question: IIRC you have one of the higher mileage bikes on the forum. Did you repack your steering bearings at 12k?

Skip
No, I have not done a repack of the steering head bearings.  Before long trip I manually wiggled and drove over sharp bumps to see if there was any movement.  None.  And I did not check torque on the head bearings either.  I mostly figure that if you put lots of miles on the bike, in normally dry conditions, that the mfr service intervals can be extended to the yearly intervals, not necessarily which ever comes first.  If 4000 comes in three years, you should follow the yearly interval, but if 4000 comes in two weeks, go ahead and follow the yearly interval.  Most likely there will not be a problem, IMO.  Other than oil changes and chains lube/changes, I rarely do any other maintenance other fixes, like seals that go out, etc.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guys, I don't know if you are aware of this or not but in the states the givi system is around $240.00 for the side racks and $70.00+ for the top mount. If you go to motostorm.It ( Italy base company) has them for $160.00 for the side rack and $42.51 for the top rack. There's not a VAT charge for this idem or any of the bags that I have found.

Archived