Time for some new tires. What to get?

• Supporting Member

There is currently a $50 Rebate through the end of August on a set.

I just got my Visa $50 gift card from my rebate!!

I got mine today from Bridgestone. - Gas money for my road trip on Monday!!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Well guys thanks for all the great input. I went ahead and got myself a set of Michelin Road 5's. I am going to give those a try and see how they do. From what I read I don't think I will be disappointed. I even said "What the hell..." and threw in the money for the givi engine guards while I was at it. Thanks again guys.

PR-5 is a good choice. I have over 64,000 on my FJ-09 and have run a number of different tires. Here is my position: I have run Michelin PR-1's, 2's, 3's and 4's. At least 4 sets each if I include the FJR and have found that there wasn't much difference in mileage. I could get as little as 6,000 or as much as 9,000 on the FJR rear and 1 or 2,000 more miles on the FJ for each of those different models. The MFR tries to sell you that you will get more miles but it just never panned out for me. I just installed a set of Michelin PR-2's on the FJ-09 as I have found they all work good for me no matter what the sales program says. I like the PR-3 for Fall-Winter-Spring because of the extra sipping. The 2's and 3's are suppose to be the same construction and rubber mix. The roads we ride can have a big effect on your tire wear so it is real hard to make good comparisons. Michelin dropped the PR-2's but put them back into production because (?) they are that good and people wanted them? That's my take. Run you PR-5's and note how you used them, roads etc. then go get a set of PR-2's and save some money.  Give us a report after you use them up as reports on partially used tires isn't worth much, in my opinion.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

One other note regarding Metzler and ‎Pirelli tires: These are the only makes that I have wore the rubber off to the cords (5X) and through the cords once leaving me having to tow my bike home 150 miles. I once had to replace a tire in Kalispel, MT and it was a Metzler. Metzler tires are made by Pirelli. Here is my last Angel ST at 5300 miles:

SQyuZcy.jpg?1

Never had that problem with Dunlops, Bridstones, Avons, or Michelins.  I always like the performance of the Angel's and the Metzlers, just dislike the quickness they disappears when about 1mm near the wear bars.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Well guys thanks for all the great input. I went ahead and got myself a set of Michelin Road 5's. I am going to give those a try and see how they do. From what I read I don't think I will be disappointed. I even said "What the hell..." and threw in the money for the givi engine guards while I was at it. Thanks again guys.
Can't say anything about the Road 5s (yet...tho they're what I'm planning when it's time to replace the stock tires)...on past bikes, I've run the Angel GTs, and lived them. However, in regards to the GIVI Engine Guard Bars, you're gonna love them. One of the most solid & beefiest bars I've used...I even mounted the compressor for my Denali SoundBomb air horn to them.45498b7d868d0a4a8ca41174346f89cd.jpg

One other note regarding Metzler and ‎Pirelli tires: These are the only makes that I have wore the rubber off to the cords (5X)
What pressures are you running? I think you need some Shinkos. smiley.png You should be able to hot-glue a 3" wide piece of car tire onto the middle and get a couple more miles.
/JK

• 3 weeks later...
The  Angel GT offer I saw was on the cover of a printed mailer booklet I got from Cycle Gear after making an online purchase.

Ran GTs on my ST and loved them. 10k miles on the rear no problem on that heavy bike.

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

One other note regarding Metzler and ‎Pirelli tires: These are the only makes that I have wore the rubber off to the cords (5X) and through the cords once leaving me having to tow my bike home 150 miles. I once had to replace a tire in Kalispel, MT and it was a Metzler. Metzler tires are made by Pirelli. Here is my last Angel ST at 5300 miles: 

SQyuZcy.jpg?1

Never had that problem with Dunlops, Bridstones, Avons, or Michelins.  I always like the performance of the Angel's and the Metzlers, just dislike the quickness they disappears when about 1mm near the wear bars.

The above is way past my comfort level for tire wear, that being said, thoughts on tire life left one this tire, stock with 6K miles on it? Ridden dirt all my life and developing skill for judging wear on street tires.

DSC02784.jpg

1970 DT-250 / 1972 250MX / 1973 360MX / 1974 250MX & 1974 CZ 400 Red Frame & SC 500 / 1978 YZ 250 / 1979  YZ250 / (2) 1980 YZ 250 / 1986 YZ 490 / 1989 YZ250 WR / 1994 YZ 250 / (2) 2002 YZ 426 / 2007 YZ 450 / 2007 DR 650, 2015 FJ 09 / 2020 YZ 250

Made it 10,000 miles on the OEM tires (front was still fine) of just commuting. Took the bike to the track and swapped on some Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa IIs. Vendor only had 180/60 rear, so I have that on. Teeny bit taller ride height. Did a few sessions on track with them.

I really like the 180/60 profile. I wish more manufacturers would make them for street bikes. I'm honestly shocked you made it 10,000 miles on OEM tires. My rear didn't last 2200 miles.

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
I really like the 180/60 profile. I wish more manufacturers would make them for street bikes. I'm honestly shocked you made it 10,000 miles on OEM tires. My rear didn't last 2200 miles.
I also got 10K on my original tires. What kind of riding do you do? and what are the road surfaces like where you ride?

Yes the turn-ins felt good.  Yea, my rear was pretty flat in the middle haha. I was suprised too, but seeing that it was just gentle commuting for the most part, it makes sense.

I also got 10K on my original tires. What kind of riding do you do? and what are the road surfaces like where you ride?
Street riding and reasonably smooth. I attribute the quick tire wear to a multitude of crappy wheelies and a some spirited riding.

'15 FJ09