Time for some new tires. What to get?

• Supporting Member
My contribution to the “what tires to get” discussion will lean back towards the Michelin Pilot Roads. I’m just at the end-of-life on a set of PR4s, and I’ve been pleased with the performance and how they’ve held up.

I have 6,700 miles on this rear, and it’s just about done... I’m hoping to log a couple hundred miles tomorrow, then will be replacing the pair with a new set of PR5s. While 7,000 miles is a little less than I had hoped based on what i had heard from others, it seems reasonable given the grip level and predictability over the life of the tire.

It still grips well and scrubs all the way to the edge of the tread, and the steering has remained light and neutral from 100% thread down to 5% tread... can’t ask for much more than that. It has developed a pretty obvious scallop of the tread block (apparent if you look to the right edge of the first photo), but hasn’t squared off like most tires. It handles and sticks a lot better now than you would expect based on the appearance of the tire.

Overall, I’m impressed with the Michelins Pilot Roads.

28043618e0a80b7a9436554e202c0292.jpg

31e4c4abe5c6d40967f51b42cd4f28af.jpg

• Premium Member
I have been really happy with my Dunlop RS3's Good traction all around. A steady non-squirmy tire with good feedback.

As for inspections. Just what the citizens need. Another inefficient government agency trying to control every aspect of our lives.... :P

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I've never really worried about getting my bike inspected. It's only an issue if you get pulled over AND the cop knows to look for it.

I agree, however the only reason I don't is when you work on a government installation, they turn you around if your inspection or registration is over due.
'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

• Premium Member
I have another data point in case it interests anyone. I just wore out a rear Metzeler Roadtec 01 after 7200 miles. In comparison, I got 8500 miles out of the original Dunlop and I got 11,500 out of the Michelin PR4. Next up is the Dunlop Roadsmart 3.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Techically in order to pass you must have tread good till the next years inspection.
I always chuckle when I hear that... what, do I need to show up with a brand new spare rear tire bungee-corded on the rack? smiley.png
Pretty much 
'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

• 6 months later...

I've spent the better part of the last 20 yrs riding on metzeler and pirelli tires because of the consistent feedback (in all weather conditions) they provide which makes me a more confident rider at the end of the day. For sport touring I really like metzelers roadtec tires going back to the Z6 then Z8 and now 01. Great all condition tires (even did a track day on Z6s... heh!)

• Thumbsup 1

On 3/26/2019 at 11:59 PM, Nuckingfuts said:

I've spent the better part of the last 20 yrs riding on metzeler and pirelli tires because of the consistent feedback (in all weather conditions) they provide which makes me a more confident rider at the end of the day. For sport touring I really like metzelers roadtec tires going back to the Z6 then Z8 and now 01. Great all condition tires (even did a track day on Z6s... heh!)

I was wondering if we should get the Metzeler Roadtec 01 HWM (Heavy Weight Motorcycles) or the standard.

Anybody knows?

Edited by jeremlab

FJ-09 2015

• Supporting Member
27 minutes ago, jeremlab said:

I was wondering if we should get the Metzeler Roadtec 01 HWM (Heavy Weight Motorcycles) or the standard.

Anybody knows?

There should be no reason you need the HWM (some mfgr's call them A or GT spec) tires for the FJ/ Tracer.  Those are for the heavier bikes; FJR, C14, K1600 etc.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:57 PM, jeremlab said:

Anybody knows?

I've had the Metzler Roadtec 01 (Non HWM) and they were grippy and performed really well in all weather, but didn't last very long.  It only took a couple thousand miles to start really squaring off.  I'm much happier with the Michelin Road 5 so far.  After 6k miles, it still has a rounded profile, though not as sharp as new.  The Metzler was looking close to the wear bar indicator at 6k miles on the rear with lots of meat on the shoulders.

I commute daily with occasional 200 mile rides through the mountains and I'm fairly heavy on the throttle, for reference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
13 minutes ago, jasonboy said:

Zero KM... I had the stock tires changed to S22

Have you had a chance to put some miles on the S22's?  Just wondering what you think of them, I have gone through several sets of S21's and love them.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

45 minutes ago, betoney said:

Have you had a chance to put some miles on the S22's?  Just wondering what you think of them, I have gone through several sets of S21's and love them.

Done about 300 km. Love it. Gonna try the hills next week. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I also really like new Dunlop RS3's.  Their profile holds turns more naturally, they feel sticky on dry road and did fine in thunderstorm, and most importantly they don't slide around on dirt roads like my old PR4s.  Note I ride with 33/36 cold pressures.