Hello, from London, UK

steve

r9VqVhHi, no prizes, my name's Steve ;) live in Croydon which is in southern part of London. Took delivery of my Red Tracer yesterday afternoon and am really enjoying it. Have previously had two Thundercats, so a bit of a jump for me to the modern era. Mind you my Yamaha turbo circa 1982 (think it was the Seca in North America) had a LCD display and a few bits found in the Tracer/FJ-09 which weren't on the 'Cat!

Already had some bits fitted, the heated grips, R&G crash bungs, a R&G shocktube, tank pads and a Scottoiler. The other items are on backorder, the SatNav bracket, side rails and luggage as well as the Givi rails and rack.

I came across the site quite by accident this morning, had 'Googled' dedicated forums for the bike and couldn't find any, so set about creating my own last week. Whilst I was checking to see if mine had been picked up by Google I found this site - think I'll be shutting mine down, at least I hadn't spent too much money on setting it up!

Need to have a good look around the place and see why I can't post pics from Flickr, but then again I'm sure you all know what a Lava Red bike looks like ::)

Guest eatpasta
Congrats on the bike!! Im sure you will be more than pleased with it.
We have a few members here already from London - so make sure to check out the regional part of the forum if you're interested in meeting any of them.
I have a couple mates in London and keep threatening to come visit....the Isle of Man calls!!

Thank you, the Isle of Man will not disappoint. I got goose bumps when I rode the TT circuit - it wasn't race fortnight and the roads had everyday traffic, but even so it is something to experience. There are lots of good biking roads here, especially in Scotland. A 35 minute train ride gets us over to mainland Europe.

I'll be going to Spain with some mates in June, will take a ferry there, but I'll be riding back through France hop on the Eurotunnel and a 90 minute ride home.

Guest eatpasta
Thank you, the Isle of Man will not disappoint. I got goose bumps when I rode the TT circuit - it wasn't race fortnight and the roads had everyday traffic, but even so it is something to experience. There are lots of good biking roads here, especially in Scotland. A 35 minute train ride gets us over to mainland Europe. 
I'll be going to Spain with some mates in June, will take a ferry there, but I'll be riding back through France hop on the Eurotunnel and a 90 minute ride home.
That sounds amazing!!!  My wanderlust would be borderline uncontrollable if I could be in Italy in a day.  Hell 800 miles barely makes it across California..... my dream ride is to turn up in the UK with no agenda and wander around for awhile, eventually chunneling over into France and just riding until I run out of money... 

Guest eatpasta
Thank you, the Isle of Man will not disappoint. I got goose bumps when I rode the TT circuit - it wasn't race fortnight and the roads had everyday traffic, but even so it is something to experience.
 Is it true that the rozzers ride CBR's out there?  Im assuming they will run down anyone trying to be Joey Dunlop....

• Premium Member
Thank you, the Isle of Man will not disappoint. I got goose bumps when I rode the TT circuit - it wasn't race fortnight and the roads had everyday traffic, but even so it is something to experience.
 Is it true that the rozzers ride CBR's out there?  Im assuming they will run down anyone trying to be Joey Dunlop....
they have a few sports bikes that spend most of their time on static displays - you are far more likely to have a FJR1300 appear in your rear view mirror if you are being naughty. Isle of Man only has speed limits in the towns - the Mountain section used in the race does not have any speed limits.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest eatpasta
they have a few sports bikes that spend most of their time on static displays - you are far more likely to have a FJR1300 appear in your rear view mirror if you are being naughty. Isle of Man only has speed limits in the towns - the Mountain section used in the race does not have any speed limits.
Are FJR's their go-to cop bikes? 

The FJR is plenty quick enough there, radios/mobiles are faster than any bike can reasonably go. The police have from what I've seen a fairly hands off approach, they look comical in their uniforms with a walking stick and whistle but are highly skilled in controlling people with them. As far as I know there is only 1 speed camera on the island and that is at Ballaugh Bridge, think one too many people have tried to emulate flying in the air and ending up heading for the pub.

Italy in a day, umm, I guess it is possible but 800 miles in CA on an interstate (I'm assuming) is quite different from trying to do that in Europe, even worse in the UK. I lived a large part of my life in South Africa and whilst not as large as the US, big miles are the order of the day - so I take a trip to Scotland in my stride, however friends of mine feel that is way too far! Having said that having to filter for many miles on motorways clogged with stationary traffic isn't fun.

Guest eatpasta
The FJR is plenty quick enough there, radios/mobiles are faster than any bike can reasonably go. The police have from what I've seen a fairly hands off approach, they look comical in their uniforms with a walking stick and whistle but are highly skilled in controlling people with them. As far as I know there is only 1 speed camera on the island and that is at Ballaugh Bridge, think one too many people have tried to emulate flying in the air and ending up heading for the pub. 
Italy in a day, umm, I guess it is possible but 800 miles in CA on an interstate (I'm assuming) is quite different from trying to do that in Europe, even worse in the UK. I lived a large part of my life in South Africa and whilst not as large as the US, big miles are the order of the day - so I take a trip to Scotland in my stride, however friends of mine feel that is way too far! Having said that having to filter for many miles on motorways clogged with stationary traffic isn't fun.
 Hey, I could be convinced to spend a week getting to Italy from London.....or two weeks... or a month

• Premium Member
 Hey, I could be convinced to spend a week getting to Italy from London.....or two weeks... or a month
I'm from another part of the UK but I did that very thing last year, staying overnight in France, Germany & Austria as part of the trip. 200-300 miles a day in the Alpine areas is a decent ride.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest eatpasta
I'm from another part of the UK but I did that very thing last year, staying overnight in France, Germany & Austria as part of the trip. 200-300 miles a day in the Alpine areas is a decent ride.
Rabia_zpsayp3pqji.gif

Thats bucket list material you're talking about, at least for me!  I love western Europe - Italy specifically believe it or not

nod_zpshsaghqja.gif

I don't do things bay halves, first service booked for Monday in the Netherlands! That's a week after I picked it up  O_o
I'm off to Amsterdam on Sunday and by the time I get there I would have reached or most likely exceeded 600 miles. My dealer can only offer me the 19th and I really don't want to have to park the bike up for so long.
Now have to try and get the satnav on with the original bracket, see if I can get my Autocom under the seat because I doubt my Interphone BT headset will arrive in time and rummage around the cupboard to see what soft luggage I still have as I don't have the Givi rails!

All this cobbling thanks to a friend of mine from South Africa who told me this afternoon he'd be in Amsterdam this weekend and begged me to go over and see him - nice on mate, thanks P-) Don't even think lastminute.com does this short a notice!!

• Premium Member
Steve, I fitted my ancient Garmin 2610 satnav today - I used the same U-bolt & RAM ball I've used on the previous bikes, an XT1200Z & R1150GS. Fits nicely on the left next to the mirror post and does not obscure the view to clocks. Tankbag is an Oxford X30 using a strap on base.

2015-03-04%2014.58.49.jpg

Thanks Wessie, I have the U-Bolt in the box, never used it - glad I kept all the bits now. Will probably mount it in the same place.
My tank bags are Bagster and require the tank bra, did have an Oxford Sports 1 pannier, but suspect I gave it away years ago. I'm sure I still have a tail pack albeit with holes in it where it got caught in the back wheel having fallen off the back of the bike! Luckily I was doing about 15 MPH when it decided to pull that stunt.
I can't believe just how reliant I've been on my Givi

Guest eatpasta
Steve, I fitted my ancient Garmin 2610 satnav today - I used the same U-bolt & RAM ball I've used on the previous bikes, an XT1200Z & R1150GS. Fits nicely on the left next to the mirror post and does not obscure the view to clocks. Tankbag is an Oxford X30 using a strap on base. 
2015-03-04%2014.58.49.jpg

Those Garmins might be ancient but they are totally bulletproof, submersible..... dammed near indestructible.  The only problem I have with mine is the input jack broke years ago so I couldnt update the maps if I wanted to..... that and Garmin has the worst customer service in the country.

Archived