Husband and Wife Kansas City to Alaska

nsmiller

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, here is the Blackstone Oil Analysis from the FJ-09. Yes, octane boost was used multiple times on the trip. 91 octane can be tough to find in spots on the AK highway.

That said, I will probably run another oil analysis on the next oil change to confirm the lead content drops off.

Because a lot of other people may have interest in this report without caring about my trip, I will post it again in its own thread.

Oil_Analysis_FJ09.png

@nsmiller no octane booster used in the FJR?
Nope, the FJR is designed to run just fine on good old 87 octane according to Yamaha. So unless you are buying a non-ethanol blend of gas, buying 91 is a waste of money in an FJR. 
Often in the states, when filling up both bikes at one pump I will put 91 in the FJR just to prevent having to hang up the pump and start again. But once we got into Canada, the price differences were great enough between 91 and 87 that doing that really started to hurt my wallet. I quickly learned to hang up the pump. 

In the states, premium is 20 to 30 cents more per gallon. In Canada, its 20 to 30 cents more per Liter. 

Archived