Cam chain tension

I recently bought a used 2015 FJ09 with 11,500 miles on it. Bike runs and sounds great.  Today I called Yamaha USA and asked them to run the VIN for me.  I was told that there is a Tech Service Bulletin regarding the CCT.  It says that it should be replaced if making noise.  With the mileage on the bike and it not making any noise I am wondering if I should see if the dealer will change it or should I just not worry since it appears the bike is fine.

I wouldn’t worry until it starts making noise. Even then, most people fit a manual tensioner instead.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
I wouldn’t worry until it starts making noise. Even then, most people fit a manual tensioner instead.

I don’t believe that “most people” put in a manual tensioner.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
I recently bought a used 2015 FJ09 with 11,500 miles on it. Bike runs and sounds great.  Today I called Yamaha USA and asked them to run the VIN for me.  I was told that there is a Tech Service Bulletin regarding the CCT.  It says that it should be replaced if making noise.  With the mileage on the bike and it not making any noise I am wondering if I should see if the dealer will change it or should I just not worry since it appears the bike is fine.

Take it to a dealer and see. If it needs replaced, it will be free. They swap the part.... leave the dealership and go on an epic ride.
If it’s good to go... leave the dealership and go on an epic ride.

Let’s go Brandon

If it's not making noise don't worry about it... I had the TSB done on mine. About 4k miles later the noise was back so I installed a manual tensioner and all is good.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Called a dealership today.  They said no need to listen to the bike. They ordered the parts today and it goes into the shop in 3 weeks for the new CCT.
All they did was run my VIN and it was shown as needing the replacement.

Called a dealership today.  They said no need to listen to the bike. They ordered the parts today and it goes into the shop in 3 weeks for the new CCT. All they did was run my VIN and it was shown as needing the replacement.

Hope your replacement lasts longer than mine.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I have 64,000 on my original CCT and it still sounds the same. An early 2015. VIN:JYARN37E3FA000066

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 3 months later...
I fired up my bike (with 10.5 K miles on it) this morning and heard the loud clicking and pooped my pants. Got on the Know Issues forums here and watched some youtube videos. Thanks to all who posted. Parking my bike until my APE CCT shows up in the mail.

Hey folks. Just put a deposit on a pre-owned 2015 yesterday with 1700 miles on the bike. Didn't notice any out of the ordinary noises yesterday on the test ride and I was wondering if I get the noise at some point in the future, will Yamaha honor the fix to a second owner?

• Premium Member
Hey folks. Just put a deposit on a pre-owned 2015 yesterday with 1700 miles on the bike. Didn't notice any out of the ordinary noises yesterday on the test ride and I was wondering if I get the noise at some point in the future, will Yamaha honor the fix to a second owner?
Yep, they have acknowledged the issue is theirs, and will fix it

Hey guys,

Is the CCT  issue strictly a 2015 problem? Or does it also apply to "early" 2016s that have the old 2015-style oil pan??

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09