Yosemite National Park

jumpjet

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, micah2074 said:

I'll be going through there in August. Any recommended roads?

Are you looking at specifically going to Yosemite NP or just wanting to ride in that general area?

If Im on a bike trip, I personally dont enjoy the tourist attractions or recreational activities that would have me changing in and out of my riding gear, for hiking or rock climbing etc. and I especially dont enjoy the popular spots that mean getting stuck behind motorhomes and tourists on Summer vacation. 🤬

We are taking a bike trip down that way mid-June to ride historic Highway 49 and then take 108 over Sonora Pass which is just North of Yosemite, then over Monitor Pass and Tahoe/Carson City.

If you havent explored the area, The roads North of Tahoe and Donner Pass are PHENOMENAL,  -89/70 and 49 in Plumas National Forest up to Lake Almanor, then continue West to Lassen!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Through the area. I'll be going north of SF down the coast a ways then across to Yosemite and Death Valley. I value time and scenery while on the bike more than necessarily stopping at every tourist trap.

Let’s go Brandon

If you've never been to the Yosemite Valley, it's worth going. Even if you are stuck behind a RV. You can see 80% of the good stuff from the little road they have taking you through the Valley.

At what point are you looking to cross the central valley? Are you going all the way to SF proper, and then across? Are you cutting across further north / south? 

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member

Ill be coming across US 50 from NV through Sacramento. I have a friend that was born there and he wants me to take soms pics of his family home. From there we make our way north to around Bodega bay. Then south along ca1 to Monterey. We will then head back east and go through the Yosemite area and at some point turn south to go through Death Valley. 

Let’s go Brandon

1 hour ago, micah2074 said:

Ill be coming across US 50 from NV through Sacramento. I have a friend that was born there and he wants me to take soms pics of his family home. From there we make our way north to around Bodega bay. Then south along ca1 to Monterey. We will then head back east and go through the Yosemite area and at some point turn south to go through Death Valley. 

I have numerous suggestions for you. All of these are "if you have time" .

First: Going west on 50, the detour of Ice House road to Went Worth Springs into Georgetown, then back to 50.

Second: From Sac to Bodega Bay, take Pleasants Valley Rd out of Vacaville to Hwy 128, take 128 to 29, go south to Dry Creek Rd to 12 which will drop you out on Bodega Hwy.

Third: South of Monterrey, Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd is phenomenal. I'll point out that Monterrey is pretty far south of Yosemite, you'd have to wander back north a fair chunk, an even larger chunk if you go out NF Rd.  Unfortunately most of the good roads take you south of Monterrey. 

Around the Yosemite area, there is New Priests Grade Rd / Hwy 120 which is nick named The Little Dragon by the locals. 

Just food for thought, enjoy the ride!

'15 FJ09

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:44 PM, jumpjet said:

I road up to and through Yosemite National Park from Los Angeles which turned out to be around 700 miles round trip.  That is probably one of my longest one day rides I've done.  I wanted to see how far I am able to comfortably ride in a day to prepare myself for a cross country trip in a couple months. I can say that after that ride, I wasn't in pain and probably could have done a few more miles.  I'm thinking 750 is probably good enough for a days ride.

I've been on the fence about trading in my FJ-09 for an FJR which i'm sure is better suited for these distances.  But it's not like I do these types of trips all the time and the FJ-09 seems to handle local and long distances beautifully. 

20180616_100000.jpg

Beautiful

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2018 at 5:44 PM, jumpjet said:

I road up to and through Yosemite National Park from Los Angeles which turned out to be around 700 miles round trip.  That is probably one of my longest one day rides I've done.  I wanted to see how far I am able to comfortably ride in a day to prepare myself for a cross country trip in a couple months. I can say that after that ride, I wasn't in pain and probably could have done a few more miles.  I'm thinking 750 is probably good enough for a days ride.

I've been on the fence about trading in my FJ-09 for an FJR which i'm sure is better suited for these distances.  But it's not like I do these types of trips all the time and the FJ-09 seems to handle local and long distances beautifully. 

20180616_100000.jpg

Great post and serious motivation!

I've lived in CA for 26 yrs, moved here from PDX, and I still haven't been to Yosemite. Been to 42 of the 50 states but still haven't been to Yosemite. Pitiful I know. 

This is my year, I'm planning on it. As far as daily endurance its encouraging to hear you've done 750 in a day on the fj. I've done as much as 600 in a day on my gen1 FZ1s and was tired but not worked or in pain. Coming from the FZ1 I have considered the fjr so many times but the fj won the gig. Hoping I can echo the same daily mileage on this bike. 

Archived