picked up the new bike today

Very interesting to me. In Germany mostly the traffic which is is driving in the roundabout has right of way. The roundabout is signed with a traffic sign "Roundabout" at all roads, witch come into it. Only roundabouts which do not have that traffic sign have the rule "right before left" (could I say it this way in English :-)? I think you know what I mean ;-).
Same in UK. Traffic on roundabout has right of way against any traffic joining the roundabout. When approaching roundabout you check if anyone is on roundabout and in UK it happens to be traffic to your right ( traffic moves clockwise in UK) . In continental Europe, it is opposite, due to side of the road you driving/riding and the direction of traffic on the roundabout ( anti-clockwise), so when approaching roundabout you look to your right before joining roundabout. 

In UK we have also roundabouts which are called "mini-roundabouts", which are just normal cross roads but they have painted big dot in the middle to tell traffic that rules of roundabout apply. In this situation, when 2 vehicles approaching such roundabout, they check their right side ("right before left" rule as you stated), so vehicle to your right has right of way over you and is allowed to enter roundabout first.

I hope tha makes sense.

Archived