When Do You Start Riding?

So I live in Alberta.  I started riding 5 years ago when I was 35 - definitely a lot smarter and more mature time to learn.  Being over cautious I would never pull my bike out until late spring after a couple of rainfalls and a street sweep to get all the salt, sand and gravel off the road. I have never laid my bike down ever and don't want to find out what it's like.

I bought my FJ 09 in January.  It's still sitting at the dealer waiting for the snow to melt and the -20c weather to go away.  It's killing me because I want to ride my new machine.  The long term forecast is showing maybe +12c for a high next week.  I'm probably going to pick up the bike then and just ride it extra cautiously.  (I don't think I'll ever buy a sweet bike in the winter again :))

So - around here you typically don't see too many riders hit the road until June.  Am I nuts in just thinking that as long as I ride uber safe (which is always anyway) that I'll be fine?

When do you all start riding?  We all have different comfort levels...just seeing what everyone else's is.

I rode dirt bikes as a young teenager and got my MC endorsement on my 16th bday. I was able to avoid the MC driving test because Indiana wasn't making it mandatory until later that summer. Yes, this has been a few years ago. I rode on and off until I got married. We (she) agreed, no riding until the kids were grown. When my youngest turned 21, I picked up a 2011 Royal Enfield Classic Chrome. This was a great bike to start riding again. 29 HP, 400 LBs, upright riding position. I rode this all last year. I knew I would want something more powerful, fun in the twisties and capable of an occasional weekend trip, just not so soon. The FJ seemed to fit the bill. All this and under 10 grand new.
So I picked mine up in early February and so far have got to ride it once. (15 miles in B-mode).
Oh, by the way, I am taking the MSF course this spring. I probably should have done this long ago.

So that's my riding story in a nut shell. Anyone living in the Indy, Cinci or Louisville area want to get together this spring or summer for a ride, let me know.

Per the subject line, I ride as soon as the temp gets above 55.

I'm in Ottawa, picked up my FJ-09 on January 15, using an enclosed trailer.

I won't ride it until the snow is all gone and we've had a solid rain shower to wash the salt away, hopefully near the end of March or early April. So I'll have owned the FJ 10 - 12 weeks before ever riding it!  >:( Sand or gravel really depends on the road, there will be more of it on the smaller less traveled roads. Last year in June I rode small back roads between Hunstville and Parry Sound ON, had a couple of sharp curves completely covered in sand. :o

Riding experience: I started as a teen in 1979. Had 7 years off riding 88 - 95. 290K km total. I've never taken a riding course, but I should take the experienced rider course. Many of my riding friends in the USA are MSF instructors. I've had 2 crashes, both times a deer attacked me. B-|

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

The MSF course is a great first step. Motorcycle riders requires a different mind set and many practiced skills. It didn't exist in the 50'S when I started.
It was a mandatory step for my Sons before they could ride. The advanced courses should be considered as your skills develop.

I'm about 45mins from Ottawa. I'm with Deerslayer. As soon as we get some rain to wash the sand and salt away, I will venture out. Maybe short rides like a commute, but I'll be hard pressed to wait longer. I had mine delivered by the dealer (in an enclosed trailer....meanwhile exchanging my trade) January 26th. Last season I began riding first of May.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

I'm hoping to start commuting this week. A lot of bikes were out on the weekend, but the roads are still pretty dirty. A few guys from work are already doing afternoon cruises out of town. The forecast projects temperatures into the 20s by the weekend, so if it holds, I'll take the FJ to Sweetgrass to get the jacket I ordered.

So far so good in Alberta's Pineapple Belt! I picked up the FJ from the dealership yesterday and my wife and I did an hour long cruise after supper last night. Today I had a meeting scheduled with a colleague who also rides, so we moved it to a lunch place 20km out of town and then added a 40km "detour". It was a little chilly, but so far it's a pretty stable bike in the wind.

Forecast is great here but I really wish they would do a sweep of the streets. More sand and gravel on the streets in front of the house than there is at the local gravel pit... That's how I dropped my last bike but this FJ looks way too good to take that chance.

When it stops freezing outside is usually good enough for me. The cars and trucks quickly clear a path through most of the roads.
The rain might rid the salt that might be there but the general traffics' tires do most to throw the sand out of our paths.

• 2 weeks later...
The earliest I've ridden is February 15th. I'm only 1 hour south of Edmonton. Short ride, snow and ice on the roads at times. I was on my K L R with TKC 80's.

So - around here you typically don't see too many riders hit the road until June.  Am I nuts in just thinking that as long as I ride uber safe (which is always anyway) that I'll be fine?

Ouch, that's so cruel - June!  I don't know your riding conditions, but I'd be tempted to say you should be fine. 
In spite of us moaning about the weather (after all it is our national pastime in the UK), I ride throughout the year - unless it snows. This year where I am it snowed overnight once enough for it to settle, but by lunch time the sun had come out and it pretty much had all melted. I ride more cautiously in winter, but the way I've been chucking the Tracer (FJ) about worries me a bit, heaven knows what I'll be like in the summer ::)

I started this biking 'nonsense' 40 years ago. Was meant to be for a few years whilst I commuted to college, oh dear I knew nothing of the Biking Bug until I tried to downsize and found out these 'things' aren't just transport items O_o

Archived