FJ-09 vs v-Strom

My current ride is a 2013 V-strom 650. It is an excellent bike, great handling and tons of available add-ons. I also occasionally ride my son's Gixxer 600. The acceleration and braking on the V-strom is nowhere near that of the Gixxer, but I like the handling and riding position of the V-strom better. A v-strom with a Gixxer engine would be incredible. It seems maybe the FJ approximates this . I was considering a 2014+ V-strom 1000 but have started looking into the FJ-09 as it seems to fit my riding style better and is a little less expensive as well.

I test rode the new Vstrom for about 50 miles and was pleased as punch with Alot of it and just disgusted by Alot of it. It's an ugly bike that makes other ugly bikes feel better.
It's got those stup8d,flashy silver,cheap,plasticy bits on it. The exhaust is gigantic. The wind blast behind winshield killed me.
Almost every review talked about how the bike was good at everything,but (and there was always a but) it wasn't great at anything.

BUT,
The transmission was excellent. The powerplant was fantastic. The bike felt GOOD! The seat was comfortable and the egos begged for miles. I hadn't ridden a bike but one in almost 3 years and the Vstrom made me very comfortable to be a little aggressive.
The note of that twin is marvelous (extreme bias here as I has an sv650 and an sv1000s)

If the bike was the same price as the fj, I seriously may have bought it.

But I bought the FJ. It looked good enough and the reviews were just amazing. I loved the sound of it and the tech you get for what you pay was pleasing. It took me 3 weeks to put 600 miles on it so I could take it in for its first service (disgusted by that. It usually takes me a week) and now I plan to do some rides. I bought some cortech softcases, the same one I have had on every bike I owned, and I'm researching a waterproof soft bag now.
Then a full arrow exhaust, engine covers, radiator guard, heated grips and some suspension work. Maybe powerboat the wells gold too

I test rode the V-Strom 1000 this past Friday. I test rode several bikes and the bike I was most impressed with was the GSX S 750 and the bike I was impressed with the least was the V-Strom 1000. It felt cheap and was not at all comfortable. I was really surprised at how much I disliked riding it. I can't put it all into words but it just did not feel right.

Archived