To the Arctic Ocean and back!

Dark&Stormy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIMG1163.jpg
Continental TKC80s are an amazing tire. 

Thanks for the ride write-up! That's pretty epic! 
And can I say..... creek what??? 

Did you do anything to the suspension? How does the FJ work as an adventure bike?

Yes i have aftermarket suspension I bought used. In the front i have Traxxion Dynamics AK20 cartridges and the rear shock is a Yucagar FR-S. 

As an adventure bike i guess i depends on your definition of adventure haha. The main limiting factor is ground clearance so take that intto consideration with the roads/trails you choose. With the right tires this bike will handle gravel just fine and thats all i need it to do right now.

Brilliant road trip. So nice to see you camping yet with a bike that doesn’t look overloaded. 
I’d love to see more photos if you have them.
Yeah i havent motocamped in while and kind of missed it. So i bought a 3lb northface stormbreak 1 tent, a Cabelas ultralight airpad, and 0°C Hotcore sleeping bag that wasnt nearly warm enough. (next time im bringing my -10° bag) All of that fit into my grey drybag. 
I prefer packing light and having extraspace to buy stuff on the way. My top case was empty when i left and i used it to store dehydrated camping food/extra water most of the time.

Things i wish i would have brought:
One of those mosquito net hat things as my Thermacel quit in NWT and the mosquitoes are nightmare up there.
Bearspray might have been a good peace of mind tool to take when camping in bear country (or a grizzlyarms 12 gauge)
A warmer sleeping bag.
An axe... It would have looked pretty badass seeing an axe strapped onto a motorcycle but you need one for splitting the free firewood at Yukon campgrounds.

Other then that my kit worked pretty well this trip.

Wow Dark&Stormy, 
An epic trip many thanks for sharing, just shows what a determined rider and the fj-09 with the right rubber is capable of.

Some great pictures and no doubt some amazing memories for you. VERY lucky that the rear fender failure didn't cause a catastrophe.

Cheers
Steve
Yeah it really doesnt take much to make an FJ adventure ready. My set up probably pretty overkill for most but everything ive installed on the bike serves a purpose for me.  
I really liked what the rear BMW style fender did for keeping the tail section clean but im pretty disappointed it broke and scratched my rim. It was mostly my fault for not loctiting the bolts that held it in place and for not doing daily checks on the bike for loose fasteners. That is what happens when you spend too many days in a row riding and not taking time to look over your bike.

I was planning a Prudhoe trip next summer. You've changed my mind -this looks fantastic!
I hope you get the opportunity to ride the Dempster. I almost chickened out... i heard a lot of rumours from other adv riders i met on the trip. Some claimed the road was really wet with riders slipping and crashing and requiring airlifts out. Other stories I heard included 18 riders this season getting injured, riders getting stuck in Inuvik as the southern sections were too wet to ride out, 1 rider taking 10hrs to ride 10kms because of slippery mud. Another rider locked his front wheel up due to mud build up. Everyone had a story lots of riders were getting road conditions from ADV forums. I even met a couple on a KTM1200 that turned around at the Arctic Circle because it was too wet near the NWT border. 
When i got to Dawson i stopped at the  Dempster Highway Info Center. The lady working there said the road was mostly dry with some rough sections between km 55 and 85. No horror stories from her. 
I did hit some muddy uphill sections on my way south but with the TKC80s and the bikes traction control system it handled it very easily. 

If I ever decide to go again Ill get Yukon Yamaha to order in some tkc80s and get them installed in Whitehorse.

But if you do go i hope you have good weather. I was very lucky weatherwise as a few weeks earlier the ferries were shutdown due to flooding.

• Premium Member
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.  
What size were the tc 80's?
Front 120/70-17 Rear 180/55-17
smiley.pngThey look bigger, must be the knobbies.   Noted.... Thanks! 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.  
What size were the tc 80's?
Front 120/70-17 Rear 180/55-17
Such a great trip, congratulations!  What was the total mileage you got on the TKC80s?   

Dark&Stormy - I again congratulate you on your recent epic trip and story.   Your pix are excellent, and I'd like to know what gear you use, if you could share - TIA.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

If I ever decide to go again Ill get Yukon Yamaha to order in some tkc80s and get them installed in Whitehorse.
That is great info right there, thanks. I don't want to carry a spare set of tires all the way from Wisconsin, and attempting the Dempster on a set of PR5s doesn't seem like a good idea unless its an epic drought. 

I'm interested in knowing more about your camera gear, please, D&S.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived