Tail light.

• Premium Member
Motodynamic will be releasing their tail light for the FJ-09 in a couple of weeks. I've had my eye on this unit for a while now. Very interesting functions and programmable. This is the one I'll be buying.
motodynamic1.jpg
[video src=https://youtu.be/QLZbHGC_otQ]

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I was doing a little research on the difference between the Custom LED and Motodynamic tail lights. Here's what I came up with:

Brightness - The Custom LED is significantly brighter. They also don't offer a smoked version, because they don't want to offer a dimmer product. Several people comment on it, and there are a few videos to show the difference. Here's one:

Turn Signals - The Custom LED uses an on/off turn signal while the Motodynamic has sequential (but can be set to on/off). Custom LED explains that they don't offer sequential because they believe it is more difficult to see at a distance.

Installation - The Custom LED uses factory connectors for both the turn signals and brake light, and make one with the right length wires to plug and play into the FJ. If you want to keep using the factory signals, you'll have to splice this yourself. Motodynamic uses a factory connector for the brake light but based on the pictures on the website, you'll need to do some cutting/splicing for the turn signals. Motodynamic will also be offering wire extenders to make it compatible with the FJ, and include splitters so you can continue to use the factory turn signals if desired. Slightly easier install for the Custom LED and the finished wiring will be a bit cleaner since there are no extenders and they plug right into the factory harnesses.

Flash Rate - If you already have an LED flasher relay, Custom LED is ready to go, and Motodynamic (which has built in resistors to control flash rate) offers a free resister bypass harness. Note that resistors get quite hot, so I'd recommend getting the relay and bypassing the resistors on the Motodynamic unit regardless.

Programming - Custom LED sells an optional switch to program the light. You can use this switch to turn on the strobe function, adjust the brightness of the running light, adjust the brightness of the brake light, enable/disable the startup sequence, and switch between 11 different brake alert patterns. Motodynamic has a button on the back of the light that can turn the stop alert function on or off and turn the sequential turn signals on or off.

Price - At about 60% of the price of the Custom LED, the consensus online is that Motodynamic lights perform reasonably well. So if money is an issue, you're getting a reliable product that does what it's supposed to do. If you can afford the Custom LED, you're getting a brighter (therefore safer) product with more programming options and a strobe function.

Custom LED - $139.00 (+ $4.99 for the optional control switch)
Motodynamic - $84.95

Tried to be as unbiased as possible with this, and I haven't seen either in person yet. These are just the facts I researched when making my decision to go for the Custom LED. Oh, the other reason is that integrated tail lights are technically illegal here, so having a brighter and more obvious turn signal gives a bit more peace of mind that cops won't care.

:)

• Premium Member
I was doing a little research on the difference between the Custom LED and Motodynamic tail lights. Here's what I came up with: 
Brightness - The Custom LED is significantly brighter. They also don't offer a smoked version, because they don't want to offer a dimmer product. Several people comment on it, and there are a few videos to show the difference. Here's one:
http://s-s.www.youtube.com.prx.webanonymizer.org/watch?v=zYJkEbUAkBQ

Turn Signals - The Custom LED uses an on/off turn signal while the Motodynamic has sequential (but can be set to on/off). Custom LED explains that they don't offer sequential because they believe it is more difficult to see at a distance.

Installation - The Custom LED uses factory connectors for the turn signals, the Motodynamic does not (factory for the brake light though). Also, the Motodynamic will need the wires extended as they don't have an FJ specific model yet (minor work to do this).

Flash Rate - If you already have an LED flasher relay, Custom LED is ready to go, and Motodynamic (which has built in resistors to control flash rate) offers a free resister bypass harness. Note that resistors get quite hot, so I'd recommend getting the relay and bypassing the resistors on the Motodynamic unit regardless.

Programming - Custom LED sells an optional switch to program the light. You can use this switch to turn on the strobe function, adjust the brightness of the running light, and switch between a variety of stop alert patterns. Motodynamic has a button on the back of the light that can turn the stop alert function on or off and turn the sequential turn signals on or off.

Price - At about 60% of the price, the consensus online is that Motodynamic lights perform reasonably well. So if money is an issue, you're getting a reliable product that does what it's supposed to do. If you can afford the Custom LED, you're getting a brighter (therefore safer) product with more programming options and a strobe function.

Custom LED - $139.00 (+ $4.99 for the optional control switch)
Motodynamic - $84.95

Tried to be as unbiased as possible with this, and I haven't seen either in person yet. These are just the facts I researched when making my decision to go for the Custom LED. Oh, the other reason is that integrated tail lights are technically illegal here, so having a brighter and more obvious turn signal gives a bit more peace of mind that cops won't care.

:)
@livininvic, awesome job! That was a fantastic and fair comparison! Wow, thanks for taking the time to do that! The only correction that I could make is that Motodynamic will have the wires extended for the FJ version. They'll also have a "splitter" available to enable you to continue using the rear signals in parallel with their unit. 
You know, I was simply looking for a tail light that had the full rear LED array lit for running lights to increase conspicuity. The OEM unit just doesn't provide enough illumination from the rear.

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Motodynamic will be releasing their tail light for the FJ-09 in a couple of weeks. I've had my eye on this unit for a while now. Very interesting functions and programmable. This is the one I'll be buying. motodynamic1.jpg

I got an email from Motodynamic saying that their FJ-09 tail-lights (clear and smoke) are back in stock. You'll need the FJ-09 extension and free resistor bypass connectors if you're using an electronic flasher relay. No splicing. All plug and play now.

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
with shipping to the UK, the light unit & wiring harness will cost $122.26 or about £83
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Motodynamic will be releasing their tail light for the FJ-09 in a couple of weeks. I've had my eye on this unit for a while now. Very interesting functions and programmable. This is the one I'll be buying. motodynamic1.jpg

I got an email from Motodynamic saying that their FJ-09 tail-lights (clear and smoke) are back in stock. You'll need the FJ-09 extension and free resistor bypass connectors if you're using an electronic flasher relay. No splicing. All plug and play now.
Ordered this unit in clear last night, says in stock. Add harness extension for FJ to cart, it will discount it in final checkout.  
Also, read the installation instructions, ( pdf on website ) they also offer splitters for hooking up the blinkers if you want OEM working also. Splitters p/n in listed there. Ordered also. I will review the light once I receive and install! read.gif

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Archived