Did your FJ09 have tight valves at 26.6 mile/42km Service?

DavidS

• Premium Member

I checked mine first at 24k miles and ALL were tight, exhausts especially so.

Checked again at 35k +/- miles and all were still good.  🙂

Fingers crossed they stay that way to 55k+ miles and I'll be 🙂

• Thumbsup 2

On 6/29/2020 at 9:04 PM, Buggy Nate said:

Just checked my valves again at 40k km and all are perfect as they were at 20k.

Only pisser was the brand new cam cover gasket I had in stock was split so I now need to get another one. 

That blows me away- 100% of the ones I’ve checked always require exhaust valve adjustment. Closest I got was an FJ09 a few weeks ago that was only out by .05mm. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, skipperT said:

That blows me away- 100% of the ones I’ve checked always require exhaust valve adjustment. Closest I got was an FJ09 a few weeks ago that was only out by .05mm. 

-Skip

Agree with you, every report I have read on any CP3 valve adjustment (at least the first one) needed exhaust valve shims.  I think @Buggy Nate might be the first and only to report 'perfect'.🏆

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

As I've reported before, on my first slightly early check ALL were VERY tight.  I was so concerned I rechecked in only 10,000 or so miles and all were good.  Is it poor factory assembly or valve recession / burning?!

9 hours ago, skipperT said:

-Skip

0.27-0.28 for the exhausts, all the inlets were 0.15mm.

To be fair I am pretty anal with filter maintenance and I rather use the mid range and the torque of the motor rather than valve bounce it. 

Not sure if that makes any difference. I’ll check them again at 60,000km.

• Thumbsup 1

On 7/2/2020 at 12:27 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

As I've reported before, on my first slightly early check ALL were VERY tight.  I was so concerned I rechecked in only 10,000 or so miles and all were good.  Is it poor factory assembly or valve recession / burning?!

IMHO.... probably the later, but I don’t have any kind of engineering background. Though I haven’t seen/heard a single case caused by materials degrading in the seat area a-la CRF250/450 style (those failed usually due to dirt wearing away the coating because of poor air filter maint).

the exception was that one guy (can’t remember his name) that actually popped up here recently selling the extra cyl head that he bought. 

congrats to Micah and Buggy for having a valve train that seems to wear very little. I think those are the minority for whatever reason. 

my $.02

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, skipperT said:

IMHO.... probably the later, but I don’t have any kind of engineering background. Though I haven’t seen/heard a single case caused by materials degrading in the seat area a-la CRF250/450 style (those failed usually due to dirt wearing away the coating because of poor air filter maint).

the exception was that one guy (can’t remember his name) that actually popped up here recently selling the extra cyl head that he bought. 

congrats to Micah and Buggy for having a valve train that seems to wear very little. I think those are the minority for whatever reason. 

my $.02

-Skip

vinnie was his name.

I do have an engineering background, and I still couldn't tell you why the valves are consistently tight. Honestly if that's the largest engineering flaw of these motorcycles, it ain't too bad. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

'15 FJ09

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

First check for me @43,000km (about 26k miles).

All inlets were in spec but on the tight side of the range. Re-shimmed with -0.05mm shims to loosen them up.

All exhausts were out. #2 valves were the worst at 0.20/0.22mm. #1 was 0.21/0.25mm. #3 was 0.26/0.26mm (technically in but almost guaranteed to tighten over time).