Thinking of moving from a Multistrada 1200 S to a Tracer 900

rhino

Am I crazy? I love the 2015 Multistrada S but its center of gravity is just too high. I get on off camber, gravel parking lots and I'm in danger of dropping the multi. The Tracer is only 39 lbs lighter but pulling it off the center stand it feels half the weight. I going try to get a test ride but wondering how people are liking the 900 GT and if it is week long, 400+ mile/day capable. 

Well, the FJ is nowhere near as torquey or powerful, but it's still a hoot. With an aftermarket seat and windscreen the Tracer will do 400+ mile days no problem. Obviously we love our bikes here so most of us will encourage you to pick up a GT and sell that expensive Italian supermodel. And we're totally objective about it :)

'15 FJ09

@rhino if you're in the Atlanta area by chance we can meet up and do a swap.. I have a 2015 FJ with lots of mods.. always been interested in what a Multistrada feels like.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Am I crazy? I love the 2015 Multistrada S but its center of gravity is just too high. I get on off camber, gravel parking lots and I'm in danger of dropping the multi. The Tracer is only 39 lbs lighter but pulling it off the center stand it feels half the weight. I going try to get a test ride but wondering how people are liking the 900 GT and if it is week long, 400+ mile/day capable. 

No, you are not crazy...and I am not biased. My FJ is not only my first touring (ok, technically "sport-touring") bike, but it's also my first Yamaha. I've had 6 bikes (over the past 34 years), consisting of 2 Honda (CM200T Twinstar & Super Magna), 2 Kawasaki (KLR650 & KZ550 Limited), and 2 Suzuki (1st Gen SV650 & 2nd Green SV650S). I do still somewhat miss my previous bike (SV650S), but I'd also have to admit that the FJ is one of the two most enjoyable bikes I've ever owned (the SV650S is the other), and one of the three most comfortable bikes I've owned (the KZ550 Limited & Super Magna are the others). Put together, that makes the FJ the most enjoyable AND most comfortable bike I've owned. Again...I'm NOT being biased.

• Supporting Member
I going try to get a test ride but wondering how people are liking the 900 GT and if it is week long, 400+ mile/day capable. 

I have taken many 4-7 day rides on my FJ with no issues, but I do have (and HIGHLY recommend) a custom made seat.  You cant put a price on comfort.  https://fj-09.org/thread/6064/new-terry-adcox-seat

I dont personally have a Terry's seat (I had a local seat builder make mine), but those who do seem to love them - and you cant beat the price.

Whenever I take a roadtrip, each day is always scheduled for 400-500 miles, I'm sure an FJR or similar might be a little more comfortable, but the FJ/Tracer is very capable with MUCH less weight.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

@rhino if you're in the Atlanta area by chance we can meet up and do a swap.. I have a 2015 FJ with lots of mods.. always been interested in what a Multistrada feels like.
Thanks! Would love to take you up on that but I'm in Austin and don't expect to be in Atlanta in the foreseeable future.

• Supporting Member
Rhino, I just picked up a 19 tracer GT and am very happy with it. I traded in a BMW S1000rr for it, sure you will notice the HP difference but the Tracer is more than fast enough for the street and it is very well balanced.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• 2 months later...
unless I am crazy too smiley.png

I have a 2014 MTS1200 with TTX Ohlins and bought a Tracer GT recently.  Just did a 1000mile in 24hr ride last weekend on the GT (1/2 canyon and 1/2 winding highways).  And have done 45'000km in 6 months on the MTS1200

On the MTS1200 I find taller ADV boots helps, as well as being able to slide one cheek off the seat to support the bike is important.

MTS1200 is more powerful especially in sports mode. But the Tracer with its torque makes it for a very good bike if you are a smooth rider with flowing lines.

MTS1200 has bigger / better panniers (especially with hi-capacity touring panniers) and better suspension.

On the GT I added an airhawk and an MRA windscreen extension. Plus dialed in the suspension.... the factory fork settings are far too soft, I weight 75kg. And swapped the rubber to Roadtec01.

The Tracer is really a 1 up + luggage machine. Where as the MTS1200 is a proper comfy 2 up sports bike with tall suspension.

IMG_20181005_192827.jpg

IMG_20181007_074321.jpg

IMG_20181008_171344.jpg

• Premium Member
It's been a couple of months...have you made the trade?

In case not, I'll echo some of what's been said here already.

The FJ is a great bike. It is light enough to ride around town and park easily, but it's big enough to be stable in crosswinds, and quick enough to be plenty entertaining on public roads. It has lots of leg room, the seat is long and flat so you can move forward and backward very easily, the bar is well positioned for standing, it handles like a small bike, and has a gratifying exhaust note.

Upsides: fun, motor, handling, manageability, comfort (for driver), likely reliability

Downsides: it could use more front weight bias, to make it less wheelie-prone (fixed for 2019); rear passenger pegs too high (fixed for 2019)

The Yamaha's maintenance story will likely be a lot better than the Ducati, adn the total cost of ownership much lower.

zapf001 - Where's the other side of that lightbar mount? I'm looking to put some fog lights on my tracer and I'm not looking to spend the ridiculous amount of money that Yamaha wants on the PIAA lights, even if I "can" somehow get them here in the states. I'm looking for ideas!!!
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

• Supporting Member
I like that light bar mount. I wonder if that will work with the HighTechSpeed X-Arch Signals, I just ordered. The new signals will not stick out as far the Yamaha pumpkin signals.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Archived