• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

engine vibration

bikelee

Also I'm reading that there is knocking in the front end when you hit a big bump or a pothole. What's that all about ? Any help on these topics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Leon.  

The knocking in front end is to do with factory fork spring is too soft. And the default preload setting again too soft. I have adjusted it to showing 1 line as opposed to 4  and that fixes it. This is for street riding with just me 75kg and no luggage.

• 2 weeks later...
have done a couple of 350 mile days, and the bar / peg vibrations were no problem. even though you feel it, the frequency or whatever doesn't seem to bother hands or feet. i still might have put on softer grips but i assume that it would insulate the heated grips

• Premium Member
i still might have put on softer grips but i assume that it would insulate the heated grips
I have used Grip Puppies on several bikes with heated grips, it does not decrease the effectiveness of the heated grips.  I don't know why, it might be magic, but it works. 
The first bike I tried this on, I installed the Grip Puppies on the right side and not on the left side to see what happened to the heat grips, there was no difference.  And the Grip Puppies are pretty thick foam.

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• 1 year later...

With the weather being so nice lately, I finally got to put more miles on my brand new 2019 Tracer goo. Dang I want to like this bike, but I am totally disappointed. For the most part I like the bike but, the engine vibration is really bad. I can't believe all Tracers vibrate this much, something must be wrong or out of sync. The engine is relatively smooth until power is applied. Between 4k and 5k rpm it feels as if the engine is going to rattle out of the frame whether accelerating or just maintaining speed. The vibration intensity correlates to the power output. It's almost like the instant fuel consumption indicator is an inverse vibration indicator. That is, the lower the MPG reading, the worse the vibration.

Hopefully it's something that can be "fixed". Perhaps the throttle bodies are way out of sync. I plan to speak to a Yamaha tech for advice, but if this is normal, it's a deal killer for me and I'm selling this baby.

Stay tuned if you're interested in a good deal on a new Tracer. Currently less than 500 miles on the clock.

I had the similar effect but later on. My bike was running stupid smooth till about 500 miles then it started to get rather buzzy around that 4.5-5.5k mark.  When my carbtune comes back from a friend out on loan, I'll let you know if it clears up and how bad they were off. I'm at 1.7k right now. IIRC.

For now I've been keeping my revs above 6k lol.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, autiger said:

Hopefully it's something that can be "fixed". Perhaps the throttle bodies are way out of sync. I plan to speak to a Yamaha tech for advice, but if this is normal, it's a deal killer for me and I'm selling this baby.

Definitely have the throttle bodies synced. That has a significant affect on vibration during the break-in service. It's not hard to do yourself if you have a manometer. The hardest part of the job is removing all the bodywork.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
56 minutes ago, autiger said:

For the most part I like the bike but, the engine vibration is really bad. I can't believe all Tracers vibrate this much, something must be wrong or out of sync. The engine is relatively smooth until power is applied. Between 4k and 5k rpm it feels as if the engine is going to rattle out of the frame whether accelerating or just maintaining speed.

Absolutely have a technician look at the issue, that isn't normal at all.  A few months ago I had the scheduled valve service with throttle body sync and new spark plugs and the bike has never been smoother, it is an absolute joy to ride.

One other thought, since the Tracer is new to you, what did you have before?  The vibration sensation could be subjective if you previously owned an ultra-smooth Goldwing or K1600, just a thought.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, betoney said:

Absolutely have a technician look at the issue, that isn't normal at all.  A few months ago I had the scheduled valve service with throttle body sync and new spark plugs and the bike has never been smoother, it is an absolute joy to ride.

One other thought, since the Tracer is new to you, what did you have before?  The vibration sensation could be subjective if you previously owned an ultra-smooth Goldwing or K1600, just a thought.

I have an FJR-1300 and GenII FZ1. The FJR is reasonably smooth and my FZ1 is like butter. The FZ1 has a slip-on with Ivan's ECU reflash.

4 hours ago, kilo3 said:

I had the similar effect but later on. My bike was running stupid smooth till about 500 miles then it started to get rather buzzy around that 4.5-5.5k mark.  When my carbtune comes back from a friend out on loan, I'll let you know if it clears up and how bad they were off. I'm at 1.7k right now. IIRC.

Thanks, that will be good info to have. I'm tempted to get a carbtune myself see what's up. I've already put a radiator grill on, so I'm familiar with removing the body work. Shouldn't be that hard to do the sync. Either way, I'll ping the Yamaha guys for their opinion.

• Supporting Member

@autiger have you added any crash bars or a stunt cage to the bike? The side effects of some of those can be a vibration that was not there in the past.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

1 hour ago, roadrash83 said:

@autiger have you added any crash bars or a stunt cage to the bike? The side effects of some of those can be a vibration that was not there in the past.

Nope. It's bone stock other than a side-stand pad, radiator grill/protector and pannier mounts. It was vibrating really bad before and after these mods.

7 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Oh, so you know where the fun starts!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, autiger said:

Nope. It's bone stock other than a side-stand pad, radiator grill/protector and pannier mounts. It was vibrating really bad before and after these mods.

Does the vibration occur when revved up in neutral, like when on the center stand or a stop light?  Just trying to narrow it down to the engine or final drive? 

How tight is the chain?  The owner manual spec is too tight.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***