Tracer 900 GT foot pegs

wanderer

The 900 GT has been on my radar since June of last year.  The clearance to the passenger pegs has also been a concern of mine since my brief test ride of the GT back in October.  Glad to see someone find a work around to get a little more room for the riding boots!!  Kudos to Wanderer for sharing this modification.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually love this. I rode with my toes on the pegs and with my US9.5 boots my heels rest on the passenger peg bracket. It creates a nice stable platform for my feet, almost like angled floorboards. Makes me feel very planted on the bike and to me it feels like it improves my ability to handle the bike in turns. 

• Thumbsup 2

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Bullone said:

Hi guys,

I live in Italy and it seems that here we can't buy the official Yamaha part! :(

Do you know if is there any aftermarket braket?

Ciao Bullone, scrivo anch'io dall 'Italia.......................

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2018 at 4:06 AM, wanderer said:

I've developed quite an interest in this bike, but I see one major issue which bothers me a lot ... the passenger foot pegs are too close to the rider foot pegs!

It is something like 8.5inches / 21cm. From the ball of my foot to the bottom of my heel.

I've seen this mentioned in reviews.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/07/17/2019-yamaha-tracer-900-gt-review-22-fast-facts/
"The downside is that the passenger footpeg brackets conflict with the heels of the pilot, making it difficult for them to ride on the balls of their feet."

https://www.cyclenews.com/2018/08/article/2019-yamaha-tracer-900-gt-riding-impression/
"the passenger pegs sit too close to the rider’s making it hard for the rider with bigger feet to get on the balls of the foot for sports riding. If you have small feet, this mightn’t prove to be a big issue, but it drove me nuts across the test day."

I've finally gotten to sit on it over the last few days, and this one thing I do not like. It is definitely a riding style thing; many people might not mind. But I shift my foot back in curves, and run right into the passenger foot peg bracket.

Can you just remove the passenger foot pegs? No, because the side cases are attached to them.

I am quite frustrated that such a weird design choice would be the deal killer! I walked around the dealership and no other bike comes close in terms of a cramped rider foot peg configuration.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Ideas for work arounds?

All I can think of at the moment is have some custom build brackets just to mount the side case hardware to. I would think a lot of people may run into this, and eventually some after market thing will exist, like the foot peg eliminator kits (e.g. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rg-racing-footpeg-blanking-plate-yamaha-fz-09-fj-09-xsr900).

Hi, have you tried using foot pegs from mt 10? They are shorter and fit bolt to bolt.

Cheers, Gorazd from Slovenija

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 7:59 PM, wanderer said:

Of course this is a riding style thing, some won't mind at all, but it really bothers me that I am not able to move my feet around. I find it a rather nutty design by Yamaha.

So, two major things have happened since my last post.

1. I bought the bike! Eyes wide open, with full knowledge that I had to do something about the foot situation.

2. I tried out the previous mentioned idea ... 2018 FJ-09 side case bracket (with or without the actual FJ-09 passenger foot pegs, at the moment I don't have them)

It works! and it buys about 1.5 inches.

20190127_133925 copy2.jpg

20190202_100559 copy2.jpg

Hi Wanderer, just a quick question :

I have the same problem with the tracer gt and i’ve bought aftermarket side case brackets (that look quite simular to yours), but I need to « force » the side cases on the brackets when installing them.

when I compared the bracket with the original footpeg, i noticed that the angle and distance from the bike are not exactly the same... have you noticed the same thing, or are my brackets poor quality (although from a renamed brand in France) ?

thanks !

6 hours ago, Touny said:

... i’ve bought aftermarket side case brackets (that look quite simular to yours), but I need to « force » the side cases on the brackets when installing them.

when I compared the bracket with the original footpeg, i noticed that the angle and distance from the bike are not exactly the same... have you noticed the same thing, or are my brackets poor quality (although from a renamed brand in France) ?

I have no problems, the cases slide right on and off.

I took a bunch of before after measurement pictures I can share. It looks like the end points of the stays are about 16.5 inches apart with the newly installed FJ-09 stays, versus 17 inches apart with the original T900GT stays. That is only ~0.25inches per side (~.5cm). So it is pretty close.

I also measured from the end point of the stay to the two slots that the side cases slide into on the frame ... those measurements look the same from old install to new install.

The minor change doesn't give me any issues, the side cases slide right in and out, and they have been perfectly stable at speed in the wind.

Good luck!

20190127_134239.cx.jpg

20190202_101241.cx.jpg

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

I have no problems, the cases slide right on and off.

I took a bunch of before after measurement pictures I can share. It looks like the end points of the stays are about 16.5 inches apart with the newly installed FJ-09 stays, versus 17 inches apart with the original T900GT stays. That is only ~0.25inches per side (~.5cm). So it is pretty close.

I also measured from the end point of the stay to the two slots that the side cases slide into on the frame ... those measurements look the same from old install to new install.

The minor change doesn't give me any issues, the side cases slide right in and out, and they have been perfectly stable at speed in the wind.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for taking the time !

I'll try and measure the same way you did and see if I can figure something out...

It's driving me crazy ! 😅

15 hours ago, Touny said:

Hi Wanderer, just a quick question :

I have the same problem with the tracer gt and i’ve bought aftermarket side case brackets (that look quite simular to yours), but I need to « force » the side cases on the brackets when installing them.

thanks !

Are you saying you need to force the case onto the lower brackets? Do you have the rubber blocks on the right way around? Sounds silly but i was told they are slightly tapered and need to be fitted the right way around.

Hi ! The rubber blocks are in the correct position (but I hadn’t noticed they had to be mounted a certain way). 

I’m trying to find something to insert inbetween the frame and the brackets.I’ll try and post a picture when I get a chance.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Sorry, I don't know the part number. I went to Fun Bike Center (dealer in San Diego) and talked to someone in the parts department, who ordered them for me.

Could you post a picture of this bracket, either off or on the bike - but in a way such that whole bracket is visible? I'll take it to my local dealer, maybe will have some luck there.

BTW what did it cost you?