Tank bag ideas?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure if you are in the US or not (why can't our locations be put in our signature area)  ANyway, try Twisted Throttle.  I got the tank ring from them, and along with the SW Motech Bags Connection tank bag, am like a pig in mud!  Fits great, looks as good as a tank bag can. No fitting issues at all.

I will post a pic when I get home and can remember how.

(why can't our locations be put in our signature area)
Click on your username.
Click on the Edit Profile button
Click on Personal
Scroll down a bit to Most Recent Status.

That's where I have 'Ottawa, Canada', which shows up under my avatar.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Unless I've missed a post on this thread, it doesn't seem like anyone has found a good solution that doesn't leave something ugly on the bike when you aren't using a tank bag. That's unfortunate. I guess it's because of the plastic fairing covering the front half of the tank. When my bike isn't all bagged up in touring mode, I want it to look as bare as possible. Maybe I'll do without a tank bag...
I'm not crazy about tank bags either, I use a tail bag instead 

• Premium Member
Unless I've missed a post on this thread, it doesn't seem like anyone has found a good solution that doesn't leave something ugly on the bike when you aren't using a tank bag. That's unfortunate. I guess it's because of the plastic fairing covering the front half of the tank. When my bike isn't all bagged up in touring mode, I want it to look as bare as possible. Maybe I'll do without a tank bag...
I bought the Yamaha FZ-09 Touring Tank Bag (basically a Bags-Connection tank bag, and appears to use the same SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection EVO 110 ring - with Yamaha branding).  I really like the idea of no straps and not having to worry about scratching the tank with magnetic flaps.  To me it's a clean look with the bag on or off.  When the bag is off of the bike, I don't mind the look of the matching black mounting ring at all. 
Check out:  http://fj-09.org/thread/1157/yamaha-city-tank-bag-clamp?page=2#ixzz3eBfOlzzC where I posted some pics.  Also check out SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection bags (they have some other versions). 

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I just picked up a Givi XS308, and I'm using the FZ-09 mounting ring (shimmed up) until the proper mount becomes available. I've got a trip in a couple of weeks and had to pull the trigger on something....

I don't understand why anybody messes around with gas tank rings, straps, etc.  The MotoCentric 14 magnetic bag fits the FJ-09 perfectly, doesn't scratch the tank at all and sticks like glue!  I've had mine for a couple of months, used a bigger MotoCentric magnetic bag on two other bikes and never had the slightest fear that it was going anywhere.  It's not the biggest tank bag you can get, but the odd shape of the FJ-09 gas tank and the plastic in front dictates that.  Still it's plenty big.  You can get it on sale last time I looked at motorcycle-superstore.com for $54.99 and if you don't like it you can send it back.  (No I don't work for them, it's just a good product!) Why bother with anything else? 

Magnetic bags are great... until the day the a small nail or screw is there and you discover it after a day of riding.... Bad news for your tank :(
I had a single staple stuck to a bag a long time ago, and it just carved up my CB-1's tank. Never again.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

I had a magnetic bag on my 'Busa, but that tank was alot more conducive to using a magnetic bag. Honestly, with hard bags I only use tank bags for trips, but it's nice to have it come off easy to go in a motel room or tent. The new QD bags are a nice step forward.

On that note, I just took my first ride with the GIVI XS308. No pics, but IIRC there are several pics of it in the thread already. It's a good sized bag, and even in the forward position, it's a little confining if you like to get your head over the bars to weight the front. Not much way around that considering the tank designs and seat/bars relationship on most ADV style bikes.

I like the exterior pockets, handy for small stuff that you don't want swimming in the main compartment, like garage door openers. I wish they were integral to the bag, rather than a removeable 'belly pack', which I'll never use. Top window and tablet pouch are nice, but you're pretty much navel gazing to look at them because of the position.

Comes off/on nice and easy for fuel stops. I ended up spacing the mounting ring (FZ version) up slightly, with the front slightly higher than the rear to clear the plastic trim. Works fine, but I'll order the FJ version when it's available.

One note on the 'safety strap'... It's long enough to go around the steering head, but that would be a hassle everytime to remove the bag. It should have come with a strap to go around the steering head and just a fastex buckle to attach it at the bag end. I ended up shortening it up a bunch and ran it (loosely) around the center of the bars for now. Even if it falls, it won't be able to drag on the bars, but it won't go anywhere. When I get around to it, I'll modify the straps and put a buckle on short strap from the bag, to attach to a strap that can be left around the steering head.

• Premium Member
Magnetic bags are great... until the day the a small nail or screw is there and you discover it after a day of riding.... Bad news for your tank :(
Yea.  Never, ever put one down on your messy workbench.  DAMHIK! 
I'm another one with the Givi XS308.  I propped it up with spacers to clear the plastic trim, too, at least until such time as Givi starts selling the proper ring mount in the US.  I sometimes have a little trouble getting it to completely engage with the ring mount, which has led to it popping off once or twice while riding and a few times while mounting or unmounting.  Either I'm getting better at making sure it's properly locked or it's breaking in, though, because it hasn't happened in awhile.

I also have no idea what they were thinking when they made the external pockets (which I like) as a belly belt thing.  Who would wear that?  It's just stupid.

I'm not a big fan of the design of the safety strap either.  Sure, it works, but on a faired bike like the FJ it's a pain to thread it through there and when you walk around with the bag the strap tends to drag on the ground.  Eventually I will rig a safety strap with some kind of quick disconnect and cut off or drastically shorten the existing strap system.

I took an SAE pass-through socket and bolted it over the wire pass-through hole.  That improves weatherproofness.  I use a cigarette lighter to SAE connector to plug into the FJ's accessory socket.   Voila, easy power to the bag for keeping the phone charged.

I would have preferred to have some internal pockets, e.g. on the lid like every other tankbag I've ever owned, but it's roomy enough that I stacked up a few plastic sandwich containers instead.  Got one with stuff like earplugs and lip balm, another with a multitool and fuses and zipties and such, another with CPR mask and nitrile gloves.  There's enough extra room in there to easily fit a Kindle, a half-liter bottle of water, my wallet, and the GPS (when off the bike) at the same time.

The liner that is intended as a moisture barrier seemed a bit much to me, but since there aren't any internal pockets it folds down out of the way just fine.  I'm sure I'll be quite pleased with it the next time I'm riding all day in the rain.  I'm not sure I need to have both that liner and the rain cover in anything short of a complete deluge.

I would be ok if the rearmost pocket on the belly belt thing weren't there.  As it is the bag comes back far enough to make the cockpit feel a little bit cramped, although I stop thinking about it once I'm moving so it's not so bad.  I'm inclined to just remove the belly belt thing entirely just for that reason, although I haven't done it yet.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I want a legit waterproof tankbag w/o the need of a cover and a map/iPad pocket. So far the only one I've found I like is the SW-Motech Yukon 90, but it's newish and haven't seen it listed on a US site yet.

Archived