Tank bag ideas?

>>...they have a huge selection of the mounts as I was able to move mine from my V to my FJ with, ummm, another $60...<< 
Yeah, but that's more than I paid for a whole new tankbag. As Spock would say "That is not logical, Jim." <g>.

Since when are motorcycles about logical? You have seen Harley's right?:)

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any of you fellas out there willing to try out the Hepco & Becker tank bag set up? I'm looking for someone to get one of our bad boys mounted on their bike, get some use out of it, and write up a review posted on here and on ADV Rider! Of course, you would not pay retail, and would get a nice discounted rate.  
Shoot me a PM if interested! (just one spot open for this unfortunately, so first come first serve)

Link to the mount:
http://www.motomachines.com/Lock-it-Tank-Ring--5-Bolt-Pattern_p_3475.html

Link to the different bags that would fit:
http://www.motomachines.com/Tank-Bags_c_633.html

Hey guys, I am loving my H&B Top Case. If I didn't already have a tank ring mounted bag I would definitely fall on this sword! Grab one while the price is better than right :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
I have the GIVI X307 I believe with the BF23 lock ring. Didn't realize shimming was an issue until I found this thread. Ring installed and operated perfectly. Am enjoying this setup. The only complaint I have is the Ca. fuel nozzle condoms. Tank door doesn't fall back all the way and I have to hold the condom back to fuel. Not a huge deal but still. It does force me to pay attention to the fueling and not overfill the tank which I have done in the past with other bikes. Stupid climate change nozzles!
2015 FJ 09 Matte Gray
2006 FJR 1300
IBA member

• 1 month later...
Bags Connection by SW Motech City tank bag

I purchased this from a fella on Ebay. It's in perfect shape, came with GS mounting ring, cover, everything but the FJ-09 mounting ring. Ordered FJ-09 EVO #308 mounting ring from Revzilla along with a gadget holder. Bag was delivered in three days, then mounting ring, followed by gadget holder. Bags expandable and goes from 11L to 15L.

GMvrrRx.jpg?3

I received the ring with a huge chunk of 1/2" thick plastic which was obviously a spacer. That's what makes a 110 ring which fits the FZ-09, a 308 ring which fits the FJ-09. Just adding the 1/2" spacer in the bag makes it a 308. Not really needed and fits closer with the 110.

rwc8p2A.jpg?1

JAFy9nc.jpg?2

The front tank trim is 1/2" high and the supplied spacer raises the bag in order to clear the front trim. It goes between the latching/locking mechanism and the bag. It does not mount to the tank. Only the mounting ring mounts to the tank.

9sZH5I0.jpg

Everything is loosely fitted in this photo. Normally you would see the latch and not the spacer when installed per instructions. I ran into compatibility problems with this bag being an older non EVO design.

u0MlPRx.jpg?2

I'm not crazy about the fit but what I do like is the gadget holder. It does get in the way when your trying to open up the main compartment of the bag.

I have another GPS mount bracket between the handle bar posts. So that's slightly farther away from view then this location. It seems to be quicker for me to adjust to being further out as I tried it in both locations, not while riding though. I'll probably end up making a bracket to locate it above the gauges.  Best spot IMO. 

io1QBK4.jpg?1

As you can see it allows a decent set up for GPS which removes from the bike with the bag and all by pulling a release cord. That part is useful IMO.

ZRM4ZAE.jpg?1

The gadget holder is a bracket made of thick metal, powder coated with several predrilled mounting holes. It will pivot by loosening the bracket mount screws on each side so you can adjust tilt on your gadget. It has two metal legs that slide down into designated sleeves on the front of the bag. The gadget holders legs slide tightly into the bag and  have snaps to firmly secure. I like the idea of my GPS being above the gauges as I've scene others do here. I won't plumb Annoya, my GPS's voice has a name, into my helmet as she drives me crazy ;) .  But this seemed like a simple solution for $42.00. Of course you also need the bag which is pricey and mounting ring. I've stayed with magnetic bags because they work for me. But thought I'd get something newer in design. Now you can buy gadgets and holders for gadgets on your bag. Cortech Dryver has a similar system with tank ring mount, GPS mounting bracket and other accessories.

fd1TykW.jpg

xGxC6Db.jpg

Bag has both front and rear cord pass through. The front, as pictured above, has a small slit in the interior wall to pass cords through. The rear is accessed through the rear storage pouch from the outside. Unzip the pouch to access and no slit currently in this bag but easy enough to make one. Bag also has carry handle and D rings.

eDmSvoI.jpg?1

Yep, bee guts on the Ermax. Pollination started early this year and the fields are full of bees. We headed west last week. I'll head east this week because the FJ is no fun to clean as we all know. 

Fit is OK, not great though. Contour is off some but acceptable. I'm used to the bag fitting tight with magnetic bags and these are designed to ride high and stay off the paint. Unfortunately, this bag ended up being the earlier style and is not compatible with the EVO mounting ring I ordered. So I couldn't latch it down for the photos. I know Yamaha accessories has a Bag's Connection City bag also sold as OEM in Europe so the fit should be decent I would think. I like the Cortech Super 2.0 18L Sloped magnetic bag better. The Cortech has more storage space because its bigger of course and doesn't have the big glob of mounting hardware inside. But its magnetic and many don't care for that. They also offer a strapped version which I've not scene. Probably too much hassle to fuel up.

A Velcro flap covers up all the inside hardware, so that's a nice finishing touch. What you end up with is a rather large looking bag with less usable space. 11-15L is fine for my needs. But this is probably 9-13 usable or less. The Bags Connection Engage at 7L that peporter has link isn't quite big enough IMO. It has the internal hardware inside also so maybe 5L usable. But it sure does looks nice on his bike.

CcznEpP.jpg?1

I fabricated a yellow string mount for this photo. Stable up to reasonable speeds on center stand only. :)
This is positioned as far back as the set up will allow. On the FJ-09, this bags design has the slopped end just touching the tank. This could help with support. There's a softer rubberized material under the slopped portion. You can just see it below the zippers contacting the rear tank trim.

up2GC6b.jpg?1

Once you get items with some weight in there, the bag fills some of the gap. With it mounted farther forward, it doesn't fit the tank as well. Farther back and you may have contact with your belly.

Jw6X0g5.jpg?1

WEH6fjK.jpg?1

So I'm not completely sold on this Bags Connection system. I got it reasonable enough to give it a try.

Give me a 12L-14L bag without the mounting bulk robbing space inside and maybe some type of gadget holder, then I'd probably be sold. As it stands, I'm leaning towards the Cortech Super 2.0 and may give it a try. It's still on the large side though. Cortech Dryver small and medium bags are also a nice set up just not slopped.  I don't need a sloped bag, just want one.  

Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member
Someone posted this pic (below) of the Yamaha touring tank bag mounted with the FZ-09 mounting ring.
They said there was no issues with mounting/clearance.

EHNO9mQ2DKUV8-IvLq1iR9tSHNdNS94Ul4iRm3O4KJ_UPISrL_wqhh301tc8FNLv58HRTbnVwv_7pmHowhXlqWTxYRVRk8uWriHczLYVEVG5OQjC5k73lqUiO96lvMADehxGPCftxGCb9qJLYNCyxUnXXxR6kRuHt8u20V_tJNHIla894eDErQoAiSqZyFdMt9RuK2fePaqKPrMIy9kZbjeDFJKxZGW-F3DBQ7hwTtKyGuI6TRTdEScihPOF3dZwuDKrtQq2VjSUjHhGdCztIlzGIRonsJvzRAVT3ANvJ1KaAt9tx7XkncK8gzCDeFoqQb2AwF1RcqfqVIVyZDg9X2S7bLwZwZ6NxAA9KaDcV3eJyUHxtveU8yQ2gvrgarFkY-Lydi08Hxa6QljYXbAtdkE7EjyYps-JppYYJ8V1iGlnc4BLRl5cpft0UVDoyUH-InA9qLqopLeHENm1s140rolUIcn29jJ1FEbCBwIru_FY9_oZuDRk7ij6mI_4zjk_DZct90sSMQcUSgBDSrKta_ICrmtFouIA0X3OqNyEcflA5VwE3yf7oeigBv5_awGNWfOOUg=w799-h599-no
I like the snug fit of this setup.

Someone posted this pic (below) of the Yamaha touring tank bag mounted with the FZ-09 mounting ring. They said there was no issues with mounting/clearance.

EHNO9mQ2DKUV8-IvLq1iR9tSHNdNS94Ul4iRm3O4KJ_UPISrL_wqhh301tc8FNLv58HRTbnVwv_7pmHowhXlqWTxYRVRk8uWriHczLYVEVG5OQjC5k73lqUiO96lvMADehxGPCftxGCb9qJLYNCyxUnXXxR6kRuHt8u20V_tJNHIla894eDErQoAiSqZyFdMt9RuK2fePaqKPrMIy9kZbjeDFJKxZGW-F3DBQ7hwTtKyGuI6TRTdEScihPOF3dZwuDKrtQq2VjSUjHhGdCztIlzGIRonsJvzRAVT3ANvJ1KaAt9tx7XkncK8gzCDeFoqQb2AwF1RcqfqVIVyZDg9X2S7bLwZwZ6NxAA9KaDcV3eJyUHxtveU8yQ2gvrgarFkY-Lydi08Hxa6QljYXbAtdkE7EjyYps-JppYYJ8V1iGlnc4BLRl5cpft0UVDoyUH-InA9qLqopLeHENm1s140rolUIcn29jJ1FEbCBwIru_FY9_oZuDRk7ij6mI_4zjk_DZct90sSMQcUSgBDSrKta_ICrmtFouIA0X3OqNyEcflA5VwE3yf7oeigBv5_awGNWfOOUg=w799-h599-no
Yes, the 110 ring is a tighter fit. The 308 ring was not available until recently I believe. So many FJ owners were using FZ rings which worked fine you just had to push down a little harder to latch. Others with the City bags have noted it does rub on the front tank trim. One used tape to protect his trim. But I prefer the snugger fit also.  

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member
Someone posted this pic (below) of the Yamaha touring tank bag mounted with the FZ-09 mounting ring. They said there was no issues with mounting/clearance.

That's my bike. Since then I've put on about 5000 more miles with no issues. Easy on, easy off, and no rub marks on the tank. I had no need to add spacers etc..

That's my bike. Since then I've put on about 5000 more miles with no issues. Easy on, easy off, and no rub marks on the tank. I had no need to add spacers etc..
This set up works nicely for me too :) 

• Premium Member
I found this locally... I set it on the bike (no pictures, sorry) Looks pretty good and seems functional while sitting on the bike and you can go either way, maps (which I like) or the full bore electronics array... :)  Probably the direction I'm going.... 
http://www.nelsonrigg.com/luggage/cl-series/journey-sport-tank-bag-detail.html
cl-2015-mg_zpsbw95xvvm.jpg
reviews-1-0-35719700-1421247384_zps3chkbcaj.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I know Yamaha accessories has a Bag's Connection City bag also sold as OEM in Europe so the fit should be decent I would think. 

In Europe Yamaha sells a different tank ring that places the City bag further forward and more level.  I use this with the Yamaha version of the bag and the fit is quite good.  I like to move around on the bike and the FZ-09 tank ring placed the bag too far back for me.  You may be able to find a retailer in the EU who will ship to USA. 

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/accessories/genuine-options/luggage/tank-bag-mount-ring-adaptor-kit/2PP-FTBAD-00-00/details.acc?overviewhash=%23%2Fexplore%2F363270%2F0%7C363319%7CMT09TR%7C2015%2F%7C
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

I know Yamaha accessories has a Bag's Connection City bag also sold as OEM in Europe so the fit should be decent I would think. 

In Europe Yamaha sells a different tank ring that places the City bag further forward and more level.  I use this with the Yamaha version of the bag and the fit is quite good.  I like to move around on the bike and the FZ-09 tank ring placed the bag too far back for me.  You may be able to find a retailer in the EU who will ship to USA. 

I'm the same, move around. Thank you for the link and part number. That would resolve one of my concerns, the fit. Then both the tank mounting ring and the bag latching mechanism would allow placement and fit the contour of the tank better.  

07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member
I think the Yamaha tank ring is over complicated. It was designed primarily to compensate for the plastic covers over the tank forward of the filler. The SW Motech solution is a spacer between the bag and the mounting on the bag. Works well and looks neater than the Yamaha ring.

I found this locally... I set it on the bike (no pictures, sorry) Looks pretty good and seems functional while sitting on the bike and you can go either way, maps (which I like) or the full bore electronics array... :)  Probably the direction I'm going....  http://www.nelsonrigg.com/luggage/cl-series/journey-sport-tank-bag-detail.html
cl-2015-mg_zpsbw95xvvm.jpg
reviews-1-0-35719700-1421247384_zps3chkbcaj.jpg

Oh boy, more stuff to mount gadgets to. I like it. Right size and has the "stupid faux carbon fiber stuff" as michael described it which is exactly what it is. Neslon-Rigg calls it Fibertech.    

07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/accessories/genuine-options/luggage/tank-bag-mount-ring-adaptor-kit/2PP-FTBAD-00-00/details.acc?overviewhash=%23%2Fexplore%2F363270%2F0%7C363319%7CMT09TR%7C2015%2F%7C

With the Yamaha Tour/SW Motec bag you have some control over how the bag will sit on the tank. You figure out where the mounting hardware fits best on the bag with your bike, mark the location, and drill your mounting holes using the drilling guide provided. Then you're good to go.

Archived