Auxiliary DC Connector?

vtwin996

• Supporting Member
@betoney - I think you’re spot-on with that assessment. If I were buying net-new, I would undoubtedly pony up the extra cash for a new GT vs a new leftover FJ. But... I’m deep into upgrading my current FJ at this point, and it still makes me smile every time I ride it, so a new GT isn’t in the cards for me.

A bit off-topic, but what I am getting increasingly excited about is a new Kawasaki H2-SX SE. Not as a replacement for the FJ, but a complimentary stablemate. Kawasaki took the somewhat raw H2 and made an incredibly refined supersport-tourer from it... one that just happens to be eyeball-flattening fast. I keep trying to talk myself out of it, but I’m afraid the hook is already set.
  • Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
Tex

I test rode the Kawasaki H2 SX SE.  I liked everything about it except the riding position.  I thought it was a great bike, and if it had higher position handlebars, I probably would own one now.

For the price, you must take a test ride first.  But look out!  Great engine.  Great electronics.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

I've just placed an order for the plug connector that connects to the Aux lead as I don't really want to cut the plug off I hope to get this sorted out so I can put the TomTom Nav back on.

I'm still getting to know the GT, went out Sunday it was a beautiful day and the bike got soaked........went through a road with a burst water main DOH, oh well I think you get to know the bike a bit more when you clean for the first time, one thing I found was watch out for the Tracer stickers they are a little sharp and will easily catch a Microfiber cloth and perhaps become damaged / pulled off.

Have a good day.
  • Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
KC,

Did you ever order the plug needed to connect to the factory wiring plug that you uncovered? If so, could you share what kind of plug it is and where you found it?

I have most of my accessories wired through my electric tank bag off the battery, there's a couple of other items that I'd like to plug off the accessory wiring when I'm not using the tank bag.

Thanks

If the wiring connector is anything like the ‘15 FJ, you already have the required piece there. Yamaha blank the holes where the new wires go in, with little black rubber plugs. To use the connector you need to buy the metal internal parts, or scavenge from elsewhere.

I went down this route for my LED riding lights, but couldn’t be bothered the second time around and just cut the connector off and replaced with a new matched pair.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
Great write up @kcjones thank you

but can someone explain what connector to use, I see a white one with round sockets and a black one

also

what is meant by these blanking plugs yam put in and so we need to buy metal bits... but if the plug had wires into it then surely the metal terminals are crimped onto the wires on the plug?

Please can someone clarify

I just installed a hardwire connector for my Garmin GPS and Denali daytime running lights, both had bare wire leads that needed to be connected to an appropriate Yamaha plug. 

GPS-plug.jpg

I went to my local Yamaha shop and got some connectors that they had salvaged off a wiring harness (I love my Yamaha shop, they always help me out). 

Aux-plug.jpg

The 12v auxiliary plugs behind the screen have a cover on them, bring it with you to the shop and see if they have anything that fits.
plug-cap.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
I'm dumb 
Don't get this

let me ask another way

1. which aux plug (color) do I use
2. is that plug a male or female and does it have wires and terminals inside
3. what is this cover you refer to

sorry, could be different vernacular (US v UK),

This is another FJ vs. Tracer situation, the only way to be sure is to check on your bike.

If you pull the wind screen and mount bracket off, there should be a few unused plugs right behind the instrument panel, on the FJ there are 3 unused plugs available.  These are convenient key-on 12v power leads, ready to use, just plug in your device.

This is the front and back of the plug dust cover, the plug itself is a male plug, you will need to splice on a female connector to whatever you connect.
Plug-Back.jpg

• Supporting Member
thanks bud 
but this is a Tracer GT your working on, yes? so same as mine.

No, I have an FJ, as I mentioned in a previous post, the only way for you to know for sure is to pull the windscreen, mount bracket and check for yourself.  Mine were directly behind the instrument panel. 

I just went through this on my 900GT to install a tire pressure monitor. I took the easy way out and just cut off the white connector behind the dash and connected the new wire with bullet connectors. The only problem is that you don't have much wire to work with. If I wanted to connect something else later there's almost wire left to work with.

I can't seem to find the plug I cut off. Maybe it was light grey. It was definitely the lighter color of the two that were there and yes, had 2 cylindrical connectors. The the other was a square and black.I wasn't too concerned with the amperage since I was only connecting a TPM. I'm sure it is a fused circuit.

• 5 months later...
On 9/16/2018 at 10:38 AM, cozza said:

Right here we go.

I had a bit of time today so I thought I'd get to the bottom of the AUX Connector conundrum.

The procedure is as follows, firstly remove the screen.  

Once the sren is held on with four nylon screws be careful when removing these as you could easily damage the head.

When you have the screen out of the way you have to remove the screen height mechanism to remove.

20180916_142251.jpg

The mechanism is removed by releasing three 5mm socket head screws, one is accessible when the mechanism is in the low position the other two are accessed in the upper position.

Once the mechanism is out of the way you have to remove the plastic cover.

20180916_142129.jpg

This plastic is removed by releasing a number of plastic rivets, these are removed by pressing the centre of the rivet with a small pointy thing. See the pictures for details of their locations.

20180916_141948.jpg

20180916_142008.jpg

20180916_142016.jpg

20180916_142041.jpg

THe rivets are mirrored on each side.

Once all of the rivets have been removed the plastic cover can be wiggled out and then you have this.

20180916_141814.jpg

There are 4 cap head bolts that hold this in place, remove this to give access to the wiring behind.

20180916_141522.jpg

The black boot appears to have the connector were looking for as you can see below.

20180916_141516.jpg

I'm going to order a connector to plug into this as there is just a blank plug at the moment.

Reassembly, just read from this end back, this is a really easy procedure but I thought I'd share it.

Really enjoying the GT  ;)

There's enough room in there to coil the mass of wires that comes on a Garmin Zumo, just did mine. Thanks!!! Great post.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...