Travel tool kit

• Premium Member
I've used my tools more to help others than myself. Just last weekend while riding with a small group in WV, one of the other rider's bike popped an ABS error, then a low voltage indicator. We pulled off, removed his seat and found the ground terminal loose. I whipped out my tool roll and we quickly tightened the bolt. We were back on our way in about 10 minutes.

Yeah it really depends how much time you ride alone and proximity to civilization. Honestly, between myself and friends of mine we have had amazing luck just getting help from local cagers. I've had people pull over to ask if I need help when I was just stopped at a pullout looking at my phone. 

In the age of EFI I cringe at the idea of a dead battery. I have considered just bringing a compact spare. Or even a really small backup battery on a switch that holds just enough juice to get the computer to work and bump start the bike. 

Tire plugs are smart but then you need a pump. I have a small efficient bicycle pump that could work in a pinch but I have never tried it on a motorcycle tire. 

I guess it would be handy to be able to remove a wheel and bring it into town. Depending where you are though it can be hard to find a tire and if it's a Sunday then you are staying in a hotel regardless. 

Part of the fun is all the risk that goes along with it. Though I believe in being prepared. 

Tire plugs are smart but then you need a pump. I have a small efficient bicycle pump that could work in a pinch but I have never tried it on a motorcycle tire. 

My underseat tyre repair kit has a couple of CO2 cylinders for inflation. They’re meant to be enough to get you moving, so you can pump them up properly at the next service station.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

My underseat tyre repair kit has a couple of CO2 cylinders for inflation. They’re meant to be enough to get you moving, so you can pump them up properly at the next service station.
Thankfully I've had no personal experience with using CO2 cylinders as a stand-by, though I've always carried a repair kit with 5 or 6 cyls in it.  
I understand from this and other Forums that 'a couple' won't do the job, and that at least four or five are necessary to get pressure up to a usable and safe level.   FWIW...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Thankfully I've had no personal experience with using CO2 cylinders as a stand-by, though I've always carried a repair kit with 5 or 6 cyls in it.  
I understand from this and other Forums that 'a couple' won't do the job, and that at least four or five are necessary to get pressure up to a usable and safe level.   FWIW...
Absolutely.  It takes 4 or 5 to get to where I would even think about limping to someplace with a compressor.  I carry at least 6 with me.  You can buy an inflator that uses the cartridges without threads, which are easier to find and usually quite a bit cheaper. On longer trips I carry a compressor but locally just a plug kit. 

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 8/21/2018 at 7:15 PM, sirepair said:

Here are a few pics of my tool kit. The roll is from Road Crafter, which is no longer in business.   Along with a close up of the socket stack on the all-thread.

20180821_194118.jpg20180821_194122.jpg

I was working on replacing my front tire (original). Didn't have the 14mm hex, so made my own.  2 shouldered nuts threaded back-to-back on a bolt. Then welded to the bolt and each other. Then cut off the excess, file and brush and viola! Hex tool! Not sure why but my front axle was WAY tight! Well over 90 lb/ft. Broke my first attempted hex tool (v2.0 pictured).  I was victorious!  And the tool is small enough to keep in the kit!

20180821_204502.jpg20180821_204507_001.jpg20180821_210737.jpg

@sirepare would you happen to have an itemized list of what tools you keep in this roll? The pics are very helpful, just curious what size the smaller ratchet wrenches are? Also, aprox. how much would you say your tool roll weighs? Starting to prep for a ride up PCH next month and feel I have way to many unused tools in my roll... want to keep my weight down, and only take vital tools that I may need for the trip.

• Premium Member

I carry a small pump and a plug kit. A small assortment of hex wrenches and sockets and a small adjustable wrench. That’s about it. As far as the chain goes I’ve done many cross country trips (4500 + miles) and besides wiping it down and spraying some lube I don’t worry about it. I do have AAA premiere for motorcycles. It comes with a free 200 mile tow. 

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
On 2/14/2019 at 7:58 PM, racreative said:

@sirepare would you happen to have an itemized list of what tools you keep in this roll? The pics are very helpful, just curious what size the smaller ratchet wrenches are? Also, aprox. how much would you say your tool roll weighs? Starting to prep for a ride up PCH next month and feel I have way to many unused tools in my roll... want to keep my weight down, and only take vital tools that I may need for the trip.

I'll have to pull it out and make that list.  I know I keep 8, 10, 12, 14 and 17mm sockets on the all-thread.  All are 1/4" drive except the 17mm. 

9 hours ago, betoney said:

Has anyone tried fitting a 12"-18" hose to the inflator?  I use right angle air valves and it seems that a extension hose would be very useful for clearance issues.

Yes - I did this some long time ago, finding that the rubber stems on the tyre valves in my then-BMW were extremely stiff and couldn't be angled enough to readily take the servo air-hose end.   I guess the extreme stiffness had to do with the TPM (Tyre Pressure Monitoring) function, which presumably had some sort of monitoring element inside the tyre adjacent to the tyre stem inlet..   

I have looked in vain for a pic of my hose: simply it was a short (about 8" or so) length of air-hose with a turned brass inlet on one end (into which the hose at the servo was inserted) and a snap-on 'cup' that went onto the valve stem on the wheel.  I went to the local commercial/ auto high-pressure hose supplier and he knocked one up for me in no time and at little cost. 

Invaluable, as at that time I was going through BMWs at a rate, but it went with my last Beemer.   I'll keep looking for the pic.

Later Edit: found a pic of the hose (top left) in among all the other stuff I used to carry, but not the pic I was seeking of the hose alone.   Still, this will give you an idea.   Great thing is that it can be stowed easily almost anywhere on the bike under the seat(s). 

PS: this original pic was taken in January 2015 - where did all those years go???

P1010572r.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived